Skip to content

Request: Item variable persistence in re-creation

Hi all!

Now to begin with my assumptions could be wrong but this is how I assume things work in nwn technically:

When you, as an example, dye a piece of armor, it re-creates that armor with the changed color? I assume this because when we have custom items with variables added to them, they seem to be stripped from items when it is dyed.

Certainly scripting offers solutions to this, but if this is indeed how it works in technical terms, it would be great if some level of persistence could be implemented in engine level. That it also checks and applies any item variables, to keep them attached to the item.

This is not a massive thing but if nwn in theory uses this type function a lot in events of change, it helps in custom content to keep the variables in items intact in engine level instead of applying custom codes to do the same trick.

We use copy tools and cloning tools where we've added some manually, but in cases of basic functions it'd be so much cleaner if engine simply did it for things like dyes and similar.
dTd

Comments

• ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402
    This is because of the bug in the crafting scripts. And BeamDog is currently not fixing content bugs.

You either need to know which scripts are that and fix them yourself or you can get community patch for nwn:ee which will fix this for you.
  • dTddTd Member Posts: 182
    Could have just told him which scripts they were.
    edited July 2018
    Yes but I don't remember which of those were exactly and I am not exactly eager to go check all x2_* scripts just so this guy could have that fix without using my unofficial patch.

Fact is that I was doing that. On old bioware forums, old vault forums. What happened was that after solving one issue, the same guy was there on forums with another issue next week and I gave them the exactly the same options - do this and that in script A and B and C or use my unofficial patch that fixes it.

But guess what, the user in question and other forum members were annoyed by "constant advertisement on my personal projects" and told me to stop that it is unwanted.

I don't know what exactly are issues with my patch. It seems some builders are absolutely against it and will never:
    - read what it has to offer
    - try it

And when I ask why they mention something that is completely wrong or that is no longer true. For example the last time the problem with my patch was that it is a a monolithic package that doesn't allow to choose what you want - that used to be true for 1.69 because it had to be compiled into *.bif file but it is no longer true in NWN:EE since all files are just put into ovr folder in game installation directory and therefore user has full controll over it. Yet, it is somehow still and issue for some builders. I bet they can't even tell the exact reason except "i just don't want to use it".
  • pscythepscythe Member Posts: 116
    With the EE version is it possible to have it all in a ERF with haks and or userpatch haks? So that modules built with CPP will remain fully functional with newer versions of EE without having to reinstall or do any modifications?
    pscythe said:

With the EE version is it possible to have it all in a ERF with haks and or userpatch haks? So that modules built with CPP will remain fully functional with newer versions of EE without having to reinstall or do any modifications?

you can do this if you would want - all files are unpacked so you can do whatever you wish with them, similarly you could unpack the files via nwnexplorer.exe before on 1.69 and do this however if you use files from CPP as patch hak you lose the major CPP feature and that is "works as a patch". If you use it as patch hak, it iwll have highest priority and any file from CPP will overwrite same file in module or another hak with lower priority. That would lead into compatibility issues with almost every single fan made module...

So basically this is bad idea. I don't see having to reinstall CPP after updating NWN:EE via BeamDog client as a big issue...
    pscythe
  • dTddTd Member Posts: 182
    edited July 2018
    @Shadooow I never said anything about advertising your mod, but I don't think anyone learns anything from an answer saying "just install my patch" either. The idea is to learn or help others learn IMHO.