Skip to content

Mod Issues in MacOS Sierra

KenyonKenyon Member Posts: 142
Hi all, since upgrading to MacOS Sierra I've had the same error for all mod installs. Seems to be some sort of issue with writing/executing rights (I did disable GateKeeper). Any idea?

Cheers,
Kenyon

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KenyonKenyon Member Posts: 142
    I am! Same error.
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    edited October 2016
    The binary setup-iwdnpc is packed with the upx tool. These packed binaries are no longer supported on Sierra. Please see the weidu forum on pocket plane for further information. @argent77 has provided an unpacked version of weidu and weinstall. @subtledoctor Can you please provide an "unpacked" variant of your installer? That would be most helpful.
    Post edited by StefanO on
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

In that case, just delete the file called "setup-iwdnpc" and run my launcher again.

The Launcher app is open-source and on Github, anyone can see and mess with it as they like. Currently, it contains a "bare" copy of Mac Weidu v239.00 obtained directly from the PPG Weidu release thread. So hopefully it should be fine once @Kenyon removes the version of Weidu that came with the mod.

Previous versions of WeiDU were apparently packed with upx, which renders them incompatible with macOS Sierra. Deleting the setup-iwdnpc file won't fix it, since your launcher will just copy in WeiDU v239, which isn't Sierra-compatible. The version on WeiDU included needs to be updated to the "unpacked" v240 that @argent77 posted at PPG.

http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,29577.0.html
    edited October 2016
    Too summarize the Sierra related problems
    1. None of the three launchers for BGEE, BG2EE, and IWDEE (provided by Beamdog) works. There is a bug report, and Beamdog is working on it. (Does this applies to the steam and GOG installers too?)
    2. UPX compresssed binaries will not run on Sierra. Consequence: Each distributed weidu, disguised as setup-modname, will fail with the error message "Signal 9: killed". Consequence: The state of each modded game on Sierra is frozen unless the installer is either updated or decompressed. Added October 25: The new weidu-240 is distributed uncompressed.
    3. Decompressing is easy: Run "upx -d binary" on each setup-modname binary. But you have to install the upx tool first.
    4. Maybe problems 1 and 2 are related, maybe not. My guess is they aren't.
    5. Added October 25: Baldur's Gate / Baldur's Gate II / Icewind Dale Launcher keeps hanging on download
    6. Added October 25: Installing the latest Sierra update (10.12.1) changes nothing.
    Am I missing something?
    Post edited by StefanO on
    jackjack
    edited October 2016
    That seems like a very accurate summary @StefanO !

Fortunately, the suggestion here does indeed work: deleting the original executable and using the Mac Weidu installer with the latest Weidu file (without compression) enables the installation of the mod! Hooray!

The GOG installer works fine.
    edited October 2016
    Even if you manage to get the launcher running you will probably face another bug.

Please see Baldur's Gate / Baldur's Gate II / Icewind Dale Launcher keeps hanging on download
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Thank you so much! This makes things much easier.
    edited November 2016
    I finally found a solution to the Baldur's Gate / Baldur's Gate II / Icewind Dale Launcher keeps hanging on download problem.

OSX limits the number of open files, systemwide or per process. I followed the instructions from how-to-persist-ulimit-settings-in-osx-mavericks. After rebooting the mac the IWD, BG1, and SoD launchers worked flawlessly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    No. But without this modification the number of open files was limited to 100.
    OK.

Starting with Sierra you could no longer use the various Beamdog launchers to install (or repair) an EE installation. The download starts, but after a few moments, it stopped. Please see the link ...hanging on download... for more information. If you scroll down that bug report you find error messages complaining "too many open files". In any unix like system I know (OS X is BSD unix variant) this means: The process likes to open more files than the operating system allows. Raise that limit, and the problem goes away. Not every time, for sure, but often enough.

The second link documents how to increase the number of open files permanently. From 100 to 262,144.
    After increasing the limit (which is unreasonable high, I know) both installation and repair of an EE installation work as before (pre Sierra).

JuliusBorisov
  • GynsburgheGynsburghe Member Posts: 60
    Prior to doing this fix, I was getting "killed" on mod attempts, now I'm just getting denied due to a lack of authorization.

When I load the 'launcher', which is in my Applications folder, I'm still getting denied on accessibility/authorization/privileges - it laughingly tells me to move it to my Application folder (where it is). I have to go into the contents of Siege and launch from the exe file.

I tried to use terminal to change ownership of Applications, and was completed denied.

OS Sierra may be the worst choice of upgrading I have ever made in 20 years of maintaining Macs.

I said elsewhere that I was going back to 1.3 for awhile... and I have... but I'm stubborn... and if I managed to wedge the Co8 mods in Temple of Elemental Evil on a Mac... I shouldn't be defeated by a dastardly operating system...

Should I?

@Gynsburghe both of your problems can be fixed right now. Your "killed" problem is addressed by @subtledoctor 's easy mod installer (see his post above).

The launcher installation problem can be solved, if I remember correctly, by a terminal command. Open the terminal app and execute the command

sudo spctl --master-disable

For a reference please see allow-apps-from-anywhere-macos-gatekeeper on OSX daily.

There is a third problem (download hangs) that can be solved too, please see my post above.

I'm not sure that apple is to be blamed for all of these problems.

The increased Gatekeeper and restricted stuff is pretty out of character for most of Mac history, this update/mod issue has cropped up elsewhere for me. I saw a lot of folks bitch about previous Mac updates, but I never had issues, let alone ones about 'recognized developers' until the last few, since they really started pushing the App store. I still love my Mac, don't get me wrong - but it should be easier to control these settings than having to use terminal or code in general.

I do use the Mod Installer, and I'm not getting 'killed' - I'm getting 'forbidden'.

Since I've been backdooring the launcher by digging in the contents, I bypassed the hung download problem - I have the version installed, clean for re-modding.

If wasn't for you, subtledoctor, and the other helpful folks here - I wouldn't have persevered through modding at all, thank you *ALL* for being there.

edited November 2016
    In RL I've spend decades in managing Change in IT systems. Change is unavoidable, and mostly a good thing. It doesn't pay for living too long in an operating system past.

Mountain Lion is ancient by today standards: There is no support from Apple, Google, or Mozilla for Mountain Lion. Surfing the net becomes riskier every day.
    @subtledoctor - my wireless mouse is very 'stuttery' since the upgrade as well... weird. The scroll wheel is really, really jittery - goes up when it should go down and the like. It is not an Apple peripheral...

Even with all the changes made above, I'm *still* being denied permission for the launcher to write to Applications (or, honestly, anywhere else I've stuck it). I might have missed something in code, but everything appears to be as it should.

Still can't convince my Mac that it should allow the mods to run... I'll keep poking...
    @subtledoctor - yeah, I've done that multiple times now and I've moved it into other directories as well... It won't let me edit the root Application directories permissions however, even in terminal. I also ran into this problem with Serpent in the Staglands, but I was able to get around that by using the GoG client, which subsequently fixed the issue. I'm using a few applications now to see if something got infected or messed up by other programs...

I'm a persistent bugger, I did it... it took some backflips and disabling... I don't think I would recommend this for folks who lack self control on entering their admin password but...

https://ohthehugemanatee.org/blog/2015/10/01/how-i-got-el-capitain-working-with-my-developer-tools/

Follow everything up to reinstalling the developer tools and you will be back to normal. I did a fresh download of the launcher and it started up, flawlessly - no hangs, no forbidden writing.

I have a folder of the mods I like and I just copied them in, deleted any setup stuff and ran the Weidu installer. POOF! I can mod again! YAY!

Thanks everyone for your help, and I hope, in turn, this will help the really stubborn folks work with Sierra.
    StefanO
  • mlekomleko Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2018
    Hey guys
    I can't say I understand everything you say, I am totally new to modding (haven't even started actually...)
    I am trying to install mods on my bg2ee (for the first time) - the game is from apple store, system is High Sierra now. How do I possibly install them? So for I get access denied and as far as i can understand what you're saying above, it's related to system I operate on.
    Any help would be much appreciated. It is worth to note that I have never put any commands or anything like that so forgive me if I ask ignorant questions...
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    mleko said:

Hey guys
    I can't say I understand everything you say, I am totally new to modding (haven't even started actually...)
    I am trying to install mods on my bg2ee (for the first time) - the game is from apple store, system is High Sierra now. How do I possibly install them? So for I get access denied and as far as i can understand what you're saying above, it's related to system I operate on.
    Any help would be much appreciated. It is worth to note that I have never put any commands or anything like that so forgive me if I ask ignorant questions...

Your issue is due to file permissions. Apps downloaded from the Mac App Store have their "file owner" set to be the "root" user (a special user account for system administration). The copy ("cp") command that the Weidu Launcher is trying to run is being blocked because it doesn't have permission to write in that folder.

Here's some instructions for setting the read/write bits:

Select the Resources folder and then choose File > Get Info.
    Under the Sharing & Permissions pane, click the lock icon and enter an administrator’s name and password.
    Change the privilege for "Everyone" to "Read & Write".
    Then, choose "Apply to enclosed items" from the Action pop-up menu (looks like a gear).

If you have more questions about installing mods on macOS, check out the guide below:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/31155/the-hitchhikers-guide-to-installing-mods-on-osx/p1
    JuliusBorisov
  • mlekomleko Member Posts: 4
    Thanks a million. It worked.
    JuliusBorisov