Skip to content

Things the toolset REALLY needs for placeables

PaddyMaxsonPaddyMaxson Member Posts: 28
edited March 2018 in General Discussions NWN:EE
Hi Everyone.

Like a lot of you I got a bit wet in my nostalgia pouch when I heard NWN was coming back. I immediately recruited another old friend and we've set to work on....something, but it turns out my nostalgia was stupid and wrong because a lot of stuff in the toolset is utter garbage compaed to the NWN2 toolset. I think we REALLY need the below:

-Pleaceable scaling (I know, this is on its way), but I'd like to stress that scaling separately in each dimension feels super important. In NWN2 I was able to make huge ornate doorways out of placeables, in NWN1 I can scooch something into a nearby wall so it's not as long as I'd expect and fudge it into another placeable so it's less tall.

-Definite placeable positioning shouldn't require right-click adjust position, give me a toolbar for it so it doens't take days

-Some new placeable "walls" for each interior tileset which act as walls so you can shape rooms.

-Keyboard scrolling of the area. Moving my mouse to click arrow keys is weird

-Filter placeables

I love this game but I feel like some very small ambitions are outstripping the technology here.
Post edited by PaddyMaxson on

Comments

• RevockRevock Member Posts: 16

it already does definite position and orientation?
  • RevockRevock Member Posts: 16
    the problem was it used to lose this if you clicked on the placeable, i.e. if z was higher, it'd drop, etc.
  • PaddyMaxsonPaddyMaxson Member Posts: 28
    Revock said:

it already does definite position and orientation?

You caught me, I found it 10 minutes after posting this and quickly edited it hoping nobody had seen me be an idiot, I submit that not having to open a menu to do it would be good though!
  • HimmelweissHimmelweiss Member Posts: 72
    edited March 2018

"CTRL+ left click" then move your mouse

• PaddyMaxsonPaddyMaxson Member Posts: 28

"CTRL+ left click" then move your mouse

Cheers, though I feel like being able to assign keys would still be helpeful!
  • ArcanaArcana Member Posts: 4

Cheers, though I feel like being able to assign keys would still be helpeful!

Numpad Keys, with NumLock being on.

Hitting the NumLock 5 key zooms out like when loading an area.
    Doing that also has the correct N-S, E-W alignment.
    Very handy if you're working on multiple areas that are supposed to have logic to their orientations.

Using NumPad 2, 4, 6, 8 also lets you paint perfectly rectanglur triggers (double-click on the 3rd corner to finish it).
    At the zoom level after hitting NumLock5, 1 hit on each NumLock direction keys is 2.5Meters
    4 strokes in each direction would let you paint a trigger that covers exactly 1 tile.

(OOC: just wanted to add this info for completeness sake. Not to "necro" it)