Skip to content

By Bhaal, Please don't ban me!

GuyfivesGuyfives Member Posts: 37
Imoen Romance Mod, what is it?
I know little of it, except that It's a sensitive topic to bring up.
I heard various things about it, and I am curious to properly understand it.
I'm not trying to start any shit, I'm legitimately curious.
So please, I'm don't want mudslinging, in any direction, just a formal education of it's quality, and history.

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited July 2018
    There is a thread for it in the mod section somewhere. I don't think the current manager of the mod has been around here in a while, but they do have their own forum for the mod I think. I did try the mod briefly before restartitis hit me and I went to a different playthrough. I thought it was ok TBH, but I have heard it had a fairly sordid past or something. I don't know too much about its history either, so I would rather not comment on what I have heard about it.

In any case, I was once in your shoes; being curious about the mod too. My advice would be to try it out for yourself if you are curious, and develop an opinion of your own.
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    I tried it a year or so ago, never did try the old one which was supposed to be filled with all kinds of nope.

The current (or a bit updated of the one i tried) was not bad.
    Perhaps a little tedious and too time consuming if you ask me.. and the music was quite stale.

All in all a decent addition if you want more Imoen.. but i generally stay away from any mods that alter vanilla/canon npc, but that's a different topic
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    no one is gonna ban you for asking about it. it's been updated since then and rewritten by another person. this inst 5 years ago anymore where you would get blasted for talking about it.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Khyron said:

I tried it a year or so ago, never did try the old one which was supposed to be filled with all kinds of nope.

The current (or a bit updated of the one i tried) was not bad.
    Perhaps a little tedious and too time consuming if you ask me.. and the music was quite stale.

All in all a decent addition if you want more Imoen.. but i generally stay away from any mods that alter vanilla/canon npc, but that's a different topic

Is it just me or does anybody else want to know what "all kinds of nope" entails?

I am a bad person. >:)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @lunar The new version is indeed much less 'rapey' and as far as I went with my last installation (finished the Underdark) there was no poop to be found. There was MAJOR re-writing done. The Duregar incident still happens though (sigh) but its at least treated as the very serious thing it is.
    another thing to add. it adds more then just a romances sure that was the focus but there are also interjections, banters and some non romance talks.

it is basically an Imoen npc mod that tries to flesh out her character more.
    Right, I haven't even tried the romance track. There is just so much there to flesh out Imoen's character and a very friendship path.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited July 2018
    I heard about this mod, but I never tried it.

It's so ironic though.. Imoen is the most important companion your PC has, but she's by far the least developed through the series, even in SoD..Though I'm sure they had their reasons for not trying anything new with Imoen, but still it's a bloody waste of character potential overall in the Saga.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    I hate that she gets taken out of commission twice.

BG2 was one thing, but then we add SoD to the mix and it's like come on. She spends like half the series kidnapped or poisoned or otherwise incapacitated. She's a damsel in distress who sometimes is briefly capable enough to go adventuring with you.
    bg 2 was because bioware never planned for you to use her after the starting dungeon. she was supposed to die at spellhold so they made nalia as a replacement.

bg 2 was because bioware never planned for you to use her after the starting dungeon. she was supposed to die at spellhold so they made nalia as a replacement.

Going even firther than this. Imoen WAS NEVER INTENDED TO BE A RECURRING CHARACTER. She was included in BG1 solely because good level 1 wizards who didn't trust Xzar and Montaron were having too difficult a time. In BG2, she was originally going to be killed right up until the end, so late taht they couldn't write banters for her. Then in ToB where she was actually inteded to exist, a programming typo prevented most of her dialogues from firing.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    Yes I'm aware of the background, but I would say that still doesn't change the situation for me all that much. It's mostly just feels like wasted potential.

Whether or not Nalia would have been a better replacement, well that is something we'll never know for sure.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    batoor said:

I heard about this mod, but I never tried it.

It's so ironic though.. Imoen is the most important companion your PC has, but she's by far the least developed through the series, even in SoD..Though I'm sure they had their reasons for not trying anything new with Imoen, but still it's a bloody waste of character potential overall in the Saga.

As people have pointed out, there are real reasons for the lack of character so I don't need to repeat them.

If you look at the Imoen in Irenicus' dungeon, (the one place where Imoen existed pre game, in the planning), the writing of the character is all over the place.

There's the initial cheeky chappy schtick, there's the "I'm really scared", then there's the "I'm half crazy" and "I'm so disturbed", then there's the "Wah, wah Jaheira why don't you treat me like a grown up."
    Culminating in the "I'm going after the big bad with magic missiles, that'll teach him".

I do wonder if the team of writers kept passing the note "write some stuff for Imoen" around and around the office until some poor intern drew the short straw.

"That chap/chapess on work experience can do it, Imoen's dead man walking anyway, nobody will notice."
    the real clear showing of the original plan is when you see her in spellhold. she is basically half dead by having her soul gone but once we get thrown into the dungeon she is fine like nothing happened.

i hope the romance mod fixes this as i have not gotten that far yet only seen the two talks in the starting dungeon and they seemed more in character as she is still shaken by everything that happend.