Skip to content

[Fighter Kit] Mercenary v3.1 [IWDEE, EET, BGEE, BG2EE]

2»

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Version 2.4 is up with a customized icon for Dirty Fight.
  • toolargtoolarg Member Posts: 179
    edited February 2018
    I like it, I have a thing for simple kits that dont go overboard with features and changes. I just started a new BGEE game and doing well so far, but I do get the feeling that come mid SoA he'll start to underperform badly. I'll report back when I get that far.
    toolarg said:

I like it, I have a thing for simple kits that dont go overboard with features and changes. I just started a new BGEE game and doing well so far, but I do get the feeling that come mid SoA he'll start to underperform badly. I'll report back when I get that far.

With the new version of Dirty Fight, you probably won't fall behind with this kit. Just imagine using this ability under the effect of Improved Haste or GWW.

Now that it is coded to be delivered through your current weapon the kit should be more balanced for all the saga.

I'm looking forward for your feedback, hope you enjoy it.
  • RVNSRVNS Member Posts: 285
    Finished my playthrough. Very enjoyable throughout the whole of bg2 and tob. Thanks for the awesome mod.
    Raduziel
    @RVNS The pleasure is mine. Thanks for giving it a shot :)

Happy you liked it.
    Well, enemies seem to save the effects left and right. My recommendations: either upgrade the damage-to hit- speed factor bonus at a certain level or increase the save penalty after a certain level. Something like level 10, Otherwise the equipment penalty severely overcomes the benefits.
    Still, Im enjoying it very much, thinking of my little dwarf as a landsknecht.
    Also, now that I think about it, I haven't had the chance to test it or paid attention to, but the status effects of Dirty Fight shouldn't be dispellable, after all, you just threw sand in his eyes, just a thought in case they're dispellable.
    Raduziel
    edited February 2018
    toolarg said:

Otherwise the equipment penalty severely overcomes the benefits.

You mean the loss of heavy armor?
    toolarg said:

Also, now that I think about it, I haven't had the chance to test it or paid attention to, but the status effects of Dirty Fight shouldn't be dispellable, after all, you just threw sand in his eyes, just a thought in case they're dispellable.

I'm 99% sure that all the effects are flagged as Bypass MR/Non-Dispellable, but I'll double check.
    toolarg said:

Well, enemies seem to save the effects left and right. My recommendations: either upgrade the damage-to hit- speed factor bonus at a certain level or increase the save penalty after a certain level.

Wizards suffers with it too. Are you using the new version (effects delivered through your current weapon) or the old version (Dirty Fights creates a Ghoul Touch-like weapon)?

Because in the new version, the Mercenary is quite balanced for what I tested. Dirty Fight + Two Weapon Fighting/Haste/Improved Haste/GWW + Specialization (and up) gives you tons of attacks per round all of them with a disabling effect attached.

Giving a save penalty is risky: could break the kit's balance entirely.
    edited February 2018
    Raduziel said:

You mean the loss of heavy armor?

Yeah, way too many good stuff on that regard from the game devs.
    Raduziel said:

Wizards suffers with it too. Are you using the new version (effects delivered through your current weapon) or the old version (Dirty Fights creates a Ghoul Touch-like weapon)?

Because in the new version, the Mercenary is quite balanced for what I tested. Dirty Fight + Two Weapon Fighting/Haste/Improved Haste/GWW + Specialization (and up) gives you tons of attacks per round all of them with a disabling effect attached.

Giving a save penalty is risky: could break the kit's balance entirely.

Using new version.
    Wizards also have a zillion ways to overcome this, the Mercenary doesn't.
    Setting a standard on two weapon fighting is dangerous because its inherently broken and unbalanced beyond relief. Im using two handed swords. Still, maybe adding save penalties is too much, but to hit and damage bonus would be nice. Just my opinion.
    EDIT: and thinking about GWW as an option is flawed, again in my humble opinion, youll spend a least half of the trilogy if not more without it and by the time you get it the whole game balance has gone to hell anyways because of 2ed high level :neutral: .
    Raduziel
    @toolarg

i) I said GWW because my main concern is this kit falling behind in ToB.

ii) Even without GWW you may use Oil of Speed, Haste, Improved Haste, any weapon that gives extra APR, and proficiency to raise your APR.

iii) I double checked and all the effects are flagged as "Non-Magical". So it bypasses MR and cannot be dispelled.

iv) Double checking I remembered that there's already a -2 penalty for the enemies save against the effects of Dirty Fight.

v) The ability lasts for 3 Rounds. So a level 7 Mercenary with specialization (2 APR) may hit 6 DF each time the ability is used.

vi) On top of that, there is your own equipment effect.

vii) I used the wizard example to show that everyone needs to deal with saving throws sometimes. You may debuff enemies using a wizard from your party.

viii) It is not an overpowered kit. Some difficulty is expected.

I really appreciate your feedback, but I really don't think that making Dirty Fight stronger would make this kit more fun.

The first version of DF was really weak, I admit.

Based on a report here I altered it ASAP and made this new version. Delivering the effect through a weapon makes a huge difference.

Thanks!
    edited February 2018
    Version 2.5 is up with the French translation kindly provided by @Gwendolyne :)
    Post edited by Raduziel on
    Version 2.6 is up with a fix for the French translation.
    edited March 2018
    Small suggestion in case you ever decide to do a future update: set the casting time od dirty fight to 0, hes trying to kick people in balls, that doesn't require much meditation or prestidigitation. ATweaks has shown me the wonders of making warrior abilities instant.
    toolarg said:

Small suggestion in case you ever decide to do a future update: set the casting time od dirty fight to 0, hes trying to kick people in balls, that doesn't require much meditation or prestidigitation. ATweaks has shown me the wonders of making warrior abilities instant.

@toolarg You're right.

Version 2.7 is up altering the casting time from 1 to 0.
    toolarg
    Version 2.9 is up with an awesome text revision and improvement by @fluke13 !
    Gusindafluke13StefanO
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    Any plans on giving Korgan the mercenary kit as well?
    StefanO said:

Any plans on giving Korgan the mercenary kit as well?

Nops. I didn't thought it would be a demand, as people seems very happy with him as a Berserker/Battlerager.

But you can install this kit in BG2 and kit him yourself using EEKeeper.
    Korgan is the most mercenary character in the game, so I'll do that.

Becoming a mercenary Korgan looses much (grand mastery, berserker rage, plate armor) and gains skuldoggery. Let's see how this pays off.
    @StefanO

Berserker is by far the most OP feature of the game, so you can bet that Skulduggery is a poor trade in terms of powerplaying.
    edited July 2018
    OK, it's making Korgan "human" again (excuse the pun).

I'm not looking for powerplaying. And have even played Korgan without using the berserker rage at all. The loss of plate armor and grand mastery bothers me more. It's nice to play a well known character with something new. I'll start a new party soon.
  • InKalInKal Member Posts: 196
    parse error in version 2.9, can't install.
    Raduziel
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    To make up for the loss of plate armor and grand mastery... try the Korgan friendship mod on:

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/60072-korgan-an-his-axe-take-over-spellhold/

(shameless self promoting here)
    RaduzielStefanO
    @InKal Fixed, thanks.

@StefanO Added a Korgan component in version 3.0

@fluke13 Feel free to announce good stuff here :)
    Thanks for Korgan.

BTW, Korgan the Mercenary is L12 now and doing well.
    Raduziel
  • UOLegacyUOLegacy Member Posts: 153
    Really nice kit. I would love to see you pack all of your individual kits (Militia Officer, Mercenary, etc...) into a single installation like you did with "I Hate the Undead". Of course, only when you have some free time; I know you're very busy.
    Raduziel
    UOLegacy said:

Really nice kit. I would love to see you pack all of your individual kits (Militia Officer, Mercenary, etc...) into a single installation like you did with "I Hate the Undead". Of course, only when you have some free time; I know you're very busy.

I have one more of these to release before doing so, but it is in my plans after I finish phase 1 of DoF.
    UOLegacyGusinda
    Version 3.1 is up and it contains

* Integration with Project Infinity
    UOLegacy wrote: »

So, that will happen.

While I do it all my coding will be revised (as I did with I Hate Undead), so it will be more than simple Copy-and-Paste.

The Charlatan and the Militia Officer will also be added - the Khalid component will not be transferred as I thought that it didn't make a good mix, as well as some new kits.

I'll try to design something that changes Corwin from a LG Ranger to what she should always be: A LN Fighter!

From now on all the aforementioned kits will not receive support anymore, but all the eventual bug reports will be fixed for the kitpack.

Cheers.
    Gusinda
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Downloaded it today, can't wait to test it!
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited April 2020
    @Raduziel , I'm interested in trying out the Charlatan kit for Eldoth and Mercenary kit for Kagain for an evil BG:EE playtrough, but you mentioned you'd put it in a kitpack? Have you done so and if so, where can I find it? If not I'l take the individual packs from your download links here and say thanks for your work!