Skip to content

Transferring from SoD to BG2:EE (BG1:EE completed)

Hi, fellow forumers!

So, as of late, I've been pretty busy going through BG1:EE and SoD.
And since I have not bested BG2 yet (Yes, after all these years), I was pretty exited to play all of The Saga through with my toon.
But, lo! NOTHING and I mean LITERALLY NOTHING of my items from SoD got transfered to BG2:EE except the golden pantaloons. (Whitch of itself is a miracle, but that is beyond my point). Even pitiful longsword +1.
Wait a minute, I said to my self, it MUST be a mistake. Has to be. And I went online.

And according to a couple of articles, for example, but not limited to: https://steamcommunity.com/app/257350/discussions/0/365172547939838610/
It IS possible to transfer items from SoD to BG2:EE.
So, I tried with EVERY ITEM in my inventory, and my bag of holding, but to no avail. (And I know, I did it right, because it worked with the pantaloons).

What is more funny, that I was able to trasfer some items to BG1:EE from SoD. (Ankheg mail, ring of protection +1, ect.)
So, to reiterate, one CAN transfer items BACK from SoD to BG1:EE but, from SoD to BG2:EE (forwards) it is a no-no!
Either it is dumb as f***ighter, or it is I am so.

Please, help me clarify.

Comments

• bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    I think the situation you find yourself in at the beginning of BG2 should explain why your inventory is missing. If you really want specific items just use EEKeeper to add them back to your inventory. Unless you’re playing on a mobile, then it gets trickier.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    edited July 2018
    A wise captor never leaves anything with his captives. ;)

Since you're captured and imprisoned by Irenicus at the start of BG2, he has taken all that was there in your inventory. You'll eventually get back some of the valuable items scattered throughout his dungeon as well as in various places in Amn during your journey.

So yes, it is normal that you'll start BG2 with an empty inventory. It's how the game is meant to be played.

EDIT:
    As for the discussion that you've linked in your post, it is about the occurrence of these "scattered" items that you find in BG2, and not about the starting inventory. What it means is that some of those items which you had earlier (and which were taken from you) will be found later in the game. And if you've played SoD before starting BG2, you'll get some of the SoD-specific items "scattered" in BG2, which you would not otherwise get if you only played BGEE without SoD before importing the save game. Hope this helps! :)
    Aerakar
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited July 2018
    By way of reassurance:

1) Everything in BG2 scales up quite dramatically so your BG1 items would suddenly become rather mundane.
    2) What you don't lose is all your XP, which is far more useful than a bag load of 'things'.
    Aerakar
  • foma_mgppufoma_mgppu Member Posts: 115
    Finally, I found it)
    So, if ever you have a same question about transferring items:
    http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Importing_a_Character#Siege_of_Dragonspear_Items

I think the question is answered, TY all!
    JuliusBorisov
  • JLEJLE Member Posts: 58
    edited February 2019
    When you imported a character (or savefile) from BG1, your main character would initially have all its equipment on the savefile (because it was a copied-over Final Save file, or character file from BG1, containing whatever you went into the Sarevok fight with), but it is stripped from you in the opening cutscene.

Some items could "travel" through - they wouldn't be in your character's inventory, but they would be found at places in the first dungeon. One from each of two lists of items would be placed in a specific location in the dungeon, with a default item from that list if you didn't have any of them on your main character. The Golden Pantaloons, if in your main character's inventory (ONLY, not another member of your party) would carry through too, and be placed in a container in the first room.

One of the lists was a list of a few possible armours: the "default" item, Mail of the Dead, was actually halfway up the priority list, so if you were wearing a lower-priority item you'd get that item instead, but if you wore none of them at all, you'd get the Mail of the Dead.

Another list of equippable items had the Helm of Balduran as its default. Of that particular list, the chances are that it was likely to be the only one the player actually bothered to get in-game anyway, since two of the others were expensive purchases from Thalantyr, and not worth the purchase price.

The cheat was that if you hit the "pause" button fast enough in the cutscene before cutscene mode had properly started, and then hit the keyboard shortcut to go into inventory (because the buttons had already disappeared from the left side), you could get into inventory mode before the first cutscene stripped your BG1 inventory: at which point you could drop everything, so it would be on the floor in your cage once the game came out of cutscene mode. However, this is a cheat and I believe was fixed in BG2:EE.

So don't expect most of your stuff to carry through, nor any of your gold. Your captor robbed and sold your stuff to fund his research, except for a few pieces that he gave to trusted servants. The nearby room contains an assortment of nonmagical weapons and armour, and there are a few magical items and spell scrolls for you to pick up on the way out, so you should have stuff both to use AND sell by the time you reach the surface.

Don't, however, waste any of the spell scrolls by getting Imoen to learn the spell. You'll find out why when you get to the surface.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    @dunbar That may be true for weapons +2.
    But until the end of Throne of Bhaal, there is no helmet better than the Helm of Balduran. Arguably, the Claw of Kazgaroth also very useful to the end of the game.
    It's weird how the game just dumps better and better melee weapons on you, but in terms of general protective items, there is very little progression. (cloak of Balduran is also exceptionally good) And then ranged weapons do get THAC0 bonuses beyond what's available earlier, but overall they are much weaker than they used to be.
    edited February 2019
    @Humanoid_Taifun The Helm of Balduran transfers over to BG2 automatically and can be found in the starting dungeon, so you don't really 'lose it' as such.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    @dunbar it doesn't transfer automatically. As @JLE says it is the default item from a list of possibilities, but can be over-ridden. If you're playing solo then the Helm is useless for some characters, while the Claw is useful for nearly every class (not wizard-slayer). Even for characters that can use the Helm, the Claw is often preferable as a way of getting the most important saving throw (spells) into safe territory. The Horn can also be useful for this purpose early on in BG2, but tends to lose its utility later in the game (unlike the Claw).
    Aerakar
    @Grondo agreed, it can be overridden by the claw (as per this thread: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/74443/the-claw-of-kazgaroth-what-s-it-replace-when-importing-to-bg2#latest), it just means that you can't have both.
    Grond0Aerakar