Skip to content

DEXTERITY AND CONSTITUTION OVER STRENGTH. (It's obivious right?)

DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669

Hear me out.

Reading that recent thread / poll on DEX Vs CON got me thinking...I have always cared more about CON than the other stats, with DEX being a close second. So...no matter what my class, I'm maxing out those both to whatever I need them to be (it's hard to justify over 16 CON depending on the build), and after making sure my CHA, WIS and INT are up to par for what I need...strength is last on the list. Up to a point. (Why?) Well...there's potions, belts, weapons, spells...so many ways to boost it. Even RAGE! A high strength is great, but it's easy to get when you need it, whereas it's harder to less frequent to be able to boost CON or DEX. But what do you think?

Comments

• Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited October 2012
    It makes sense. But for me I don't feel like going through the hassle of using spells/potions to boost strength, so I'll usually at least make it decent. Sometimes I keep STR low for RP purposes. I just don't see the average elf having 18 STR for example, Kivan is for some reason freakishly strong.
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    Exactly what you said - I always max Dex, get Con as high as needed to get the max bonus hp allowed to my class, max Wis or Int if I play a divine or arcane caster and worry about Str last (I try to have an average Cha as well).
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Heh, well. I'm playing a paladin right now with 13 STR, and damn this game is hard when the only warrior in your party has less than 18 strength. I can't even wear a full plate other than the ankheg shell one. Can't wait to finally get my hand on (or rather in) those Gauntlets of Ogre Power.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    The only time this really comes into play is with paladins and to a lesser extent, elven rangers. On any other guy you plan to hit things with in melee with any sort of frequency, it's really easy max them all out.

I don't know why some people feel guilty about lowering the INT stat to 4. It's just a number. My guy is the smartest guy in the world as far as I'm concerned. I have the options to play him that way if I want. I've never really been a person to assign much stock to numbers having any meaning, as it's always felt really arbitrary to me. Gimme stats that actually affect my gameplay. That's what I want.
  • creator1629creator1629 Member Posts: 66
    well that may be true, but then again there are a lot of players out there, myself included who like to roleplay with the stats. i know that if i make a fighter, intelligence and wisdom don't have as much of a role as the other stats, and that lowering them wont really affect my gameplay much, but i just dont feel right making my character seem "stupid." again this is only from a roleplaying point of view

well that may be true, but then again there are a lot of players out there, myself included who like to roleplay with the stats. i know that if i make a fighter, intelligence and wisdom don't have as much of a role as the other stats, and that lowering them wont really affect my gameplay much, but i just dont feel right making my character seem "stupid." again this is only from a roleplaying point of view

That's exactly what I mean. He's only "stupid" if you believe that the number 4 means he's stupid. It does theoretically but I have no problem disassociating myself with the number having any arbitrary meaning to how I feel my character behaves.

If it worked like Planescape: Torment, where higher mental stats significantly changed the outcome of dialogue, then I'd worry about it. But as is, even Charisma barely influences it.

I think the computer RPG with the best "every stat matters and also shapes how you RP" is easily Fallout 1 and 2. S.P.E.C.I.A.L. is pretty awesome. Every last little thing matters in both how it affects battle AND how it affects dialogue.
  • SharnSharn Member Posts: 188
    They never really did a good job reflecting stats in computer games they way they are supposed to be represented in PNP.

Someone with a 4 intelligence wouldn't even be able to speak, you would be able to pantomime some things and grunt, but actually talking would be out of the question.

Someone with a 4 cha would be shunned and hated, there are some people who would attack you upon meeting you because your very presence is offending to them. The DM would advice the other players how much they strongly hate your character and tell them to find a reason to actually keep you around. He would also constantly remind you that you must play your character as a unattractive douche who would rather drop his pants and piss in someone mouth then have a conversation with them.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    The "CON/DEX over STR" is really only an important issue if 1) you're not re-rolling to get a strong set of stats or 2) you're not playing a warrior. If you are playing a warrior, it would be a major shame if you ignored strength! True, it's very easy to raise with items. But why rely on items/spells if you don't need them? I'd say max these three and ignore the rest.

From a power-gaming perspective, none of the other stats actually matter much unless you're playing hardcore or heavily into role-playing. INT and WIS aren't even that essential for casters. CHA you never really need higher than 14 (Friends, Ring of Human Influence), so that's out too. It's a shame these stats don't matter more (that is an argument spread across many threads, in many forums, over many years).

I'm amazed that ppl will set intelligence at 4. Not because it's implausible and offends me in any way, but because all it takes to get an 18/18/18/10/10/10 stat spread is about 3 minutes of rolling.
    Silence said:

I'm amazed that ppl will set intelligence at 4. Not because it's implausible and offends me in any way, but because all it takes to get an 18/18/18/10/10/10 stat spread is about 3 minutes of rolling.

Be that as it may, some people like to max all the physical stats on their warriors as well as the charisma for the slight discount in stores, meaning they would usually have to kill wisdom and/or intelligence, or roll for a while (a total score of 92 is not impossible, just somewhat rare). I'm not one of those guys though, I enjoy roleplaying stats, but I usually come up with a virtual excuse for each of my characters to max their dexterity and set their constitution to 15 or 18 depending on class.

The rest of the stats aren't entirely useless though either. Wisdom is very important for divine spellcasters (in particular clerics and druids), because it determines their spellslots per day for each spell level. It's not that important for other classes, although the +4 to saving throw vs. spells and the various spell immunities come handy for all.

As for intelligence, mages very much need it because it determines the max spell level they can cast spells from as well as the number of spells they can learn from each spell level (playing a mage I usually want my intelligence to be at least 19 so I can learn all spells), and it also affects the scroll learning chance (if you're playing on hardcore difficulty or harder). For others intelligence doesn't play a very big role, but it will still provide the illusion immunity at scores above 18.

And the number one reason you do not want to roll a warrior with 4 intelligence is: illithids. If any you ever wondered why illithids one-hit your tank - that's why. From a powergaming perspective you'll want your intelligence to be either 6, 11, or 16 so you may withstand 1, 2, or 3 hits from a normal mind flayer. More powerful mind flayers will kill you in less hits.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    @Adul Good post, but I offer one correction:

WIS does not effect saving throws. It was in the game manual and all, but never implemented in either BG1 or BG2.

• BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Also, as an aside, I'd like to say that you can get by with a mediocre INT for casters, especially for multis and duals.

At max, Sorcerers get by with only knowing six spells per level -- which is the same as a non-specialst Mage with 9 INT. (Granted, the bonuses get pretty big once you hit 17 or 18 INT, and 19 gives you an unlimited spellbook.)
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    True for bg2, but in bg1 there arent many str boosting items. Only one to be precise and thats pretty late in the game, and there are lots of users who would want it, as most NPC have like 15 str. Short of Minsc. So i personally wouldnt skip on Str too much in bg1, but it sure is possible true.
    Silence said:

The "CON/DEX over STR" is really only an important issue if 1) you're not re-rolling to get a strong set of stats or 2) you're not playing a warrior. If you are playing a warrior, it would be a major shame if you ignored strength! True, it's very easy to raise with items. But why rely on items/spells if you don't need them? I'd say max these three and ignore the rest.

From a power-gaming perspective, none of the other stats actually matter much unless you're playing hardcore or heavily into role-playing. INT and WIS aren't even that essential for casters. CHA you never really need higher than 14 (Friends, Ring of Human Influence), so that's out too. It's a shame these stats don't matter more (that is an argument spread across many threads, in many forums, over many years).

Rangers and Paladins don't have the luxury of being able to go 10's in all the mental stats, though. Dumping CON/DEX is only really an issue on Paladins or Cleric/Rangers.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited October 2012
    @Adul, in the Baldur's Gate games, intelligence does not determine maximum spell level for mages. It only determines chance to scribe scroll successfully and maximum number of spells per level that you can hold in your spellbook. A mage with 10 intelligence can cast level 9 spells just fine. If you turn the difficulty slider down to normal, you don't even have to worry about failing to learn spells. That's why you read so much advice to not worry about your intelligence too much with your mage.

You're thinking of 3rd edition rules and the Neverwinter Nights games - there, you do need a 19 intelligence to cast a 9th level spell. A sorcerer would need 19 charisma to cast a 9th level spell. Really, that makes more sense. However, it just doesn't exist in the Baldur's Gate games.

Saving throw bonuses for high wisdom are not implemented in Baldur's Gate, either, despite what the original printed manual said. Wisdom gives only extra priest spell slots, a small lore bonus, and better Wish tables from the Wish spell genie. A BG cleric with low wisdom can do just fine.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Sharn That depends. Some people would play a 4 charisma as someone with no tact, no manners, and who peeves people off wherever they go. Some RP it as a crippling shyness that makes them speak in monosyllables or just stare at you wordlessly because they can't reply. It's offputting in quite a different way to someone who is such a smart-aleck you want to knock their block off.
    @SandmanCCL: If I'm not mistaken, Rangers and Paladins actually roll better than the other classes do to the way the game's engine works. The reason is that these classes are given their minimum requirements for free.

For instance, a Ranger gets a STR/DEX/CON/WIS spread of at least 13/13/14/14. He does not have to roll for it. Similarly the Paladin gets a CHA of 17 without having to roll for it. These aren't requirements but gifts. To roll a 18/18/18/10/10/10 fighter might take 3 minutes (an 84). In the same time, you can easily roll a ranger that is a 87-90 or even higher. Further, since many of the stats required for Rangers are stats you want to develop anyway (like STR/DEX/CON), you'll never want to dump them anyway. So I really believe this isn't a problem for the warrior classes.

@Adul: I fully acknowledge the benefits of WIS in PnP. I still don't think it's that great even if you are a caster in BG. It's supposed to determine your max spell level and determine your resistance to mind-affecting magic, but it does neither. Similarly, INT does not do what it should. Were these stats better implemented in BG, you'd be 100% right.

I must say the illithid is the most overrated opponent in the game. All you need to do is buff your characters with the 5th level cleric spell Chaotic Commands. If you're worried about Intelligence being drained, don't melee the mind flayer! Use missile attacks, kiting, and summonings.

@Brude: Nice avatar, what is it?
    @Silence: Right, but you are just looking at the end result of the total roll. That doesn't really matter. In order to max strength, dexterity and constitution, you need a bare minimum roll of 87. In order to max strength, dexterity and constitution with a regular fighter, you only need a bare minimum roll of 63. You can't get a total roll of less than 75. You can still get total rolls of 75 or less on a paladin.

A high minimum only helps your overall roll if that minimum is also a stat you want with that class (ranger constitution, for example.) You don't have any dump stats as a paladin except intelligence. It's the hardest class to get a min/max roll on.
    Yeah, I can see what your point is there. But I contend a 75 is incredibly easy to get for any character, and an 87 is very attainable for a ranger. So I see this as a very easy total to get for a ranger and have never had a problem. As for the paladin, you're definitely right there. It's a hard one because there's just the one 'dump' stat. But I find rolling less taxing than most, it's almost enjoyable even though its repetitive. Not unlike knitting...
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Silence said:

Yeah, I can see what your point is there. But I contend a 75 is incredibly easy to get for any character, and an 87 is very attainable for a ranger. So I see this as a very easy total to get for a ranger and have never had a problem. As for the paladin, you're definitely right there. It's a hard one because there's just the one 'dump' stat. But I find rolling less taxing than most, it's almost enjoyable even though its repetitive. Not unlike knitting...

75 is easy to get because that's the minimum point total programmed into the game. You can't get any less than 75.
  • fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    I like to imitate a blind playthrough and pnp rules, so I typically choose stats that are typical to each class, and don't max my HP rolls.

Also, interestingly enough, in the PHB of 2nd ed, it states that a fighter with 16 strength or higher gets a 10% bonus to experience. I think it is the same with respect to other classes, i.e. 16 dex for thieves, 16 int for mages, and 16 wis for clerics. You don't need it, but it can certainly help.
    lol, turns out I misread "can't get less than 75" as "you need a 75." My mistake, thanks for the corrections.
    Either way I was fairly certain rolls were getting surgically enhanced in some way.
    edited October 2012
    Huh. It turns out I didn't fully understand the way AD&D rules were implemented in BG. As I now understand WIS does not give a bonus to saving throws vs. spells and a low INT score does not limit the max spell level wizards may cast. Not that this knowledge will change my ability point allocation habits, but it's still nice to be aware of the actual in-game rules.