Skip to content

Best ranged weapon choice for high strength Fighter/Mage?

Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
I finally decided to get back to BG2, and this time I intend to complete it. I am thinking about creating an Elf Fighter/Mage with 19 STR ("assuming" I got the Strength manual, as I always do ;) ). I'm basically going long-swords and two-weapon style way and maybe then add either axes or morningstars later on, but I would like to take a ranged weapon choice that makes the most optimum use of high strength. So that basically rules out bows and darts. So my options are throwing daggers, slings and throwing axes (there's the Brick +2, but I'd rather not have my Fighter/Mage use it). So keeping in mind and balancing the various factors like APR, attack range, damage per round (more APR seems better as it basically multiplies the strength bonus damage), and lastly, but most importantly, availability of good weapons with powerful effects in the game, which one would you suggest me to invest in? Also, is it worth having proficiencies in more than one ranged weapon for my Fighter/Mage?

EDIT: Are darts of Stunning/Wounding good enough to invest one or two proficiency points in them, regardless of the fact that I won't be getting any strength advantages for them?

Comments

• BorekBorek Member Posts: 513

I finally decided to get back to BG2, and this time I intend to complete it. I am thinking about creating an Elf Fighter/Mage with 19 STR ("assuming" I got the Strength manual, as I always do ;) ). I'm basically going long-swords and two-weapon style way and maybe then add either axes or morningstars later on, but I would like to take a ranged weapon choice that makes the most optimum use of high strength. So that basically rules out bows and darts. So my options are throwing daggers, slings and throwing axes (there's the Brick +2, but I'd rather not have my Fighter/Mage use it). So keeping in mind and balancing the various factors like APR, attack range, damage per round (more APR seems better as it basically multiplies the strength bonus damage), and lastly, but most importantly, availability of good weapons with powerful effects in the game, which one would you suggest me to invest in? Also, is it worth having proficiencies in more than one ranged weapon for my Fighter/Mage?

EDIT: Are darts of Stunning/Wounding good enough to invest one or two proficiency points in them, regardless of the fact that I won't be getting any strength advantages for them?

In BG2 IMO Darts are sub-par because enemies have decent saves, so you have to throw a lot to get a stun or poison effect to stick, at least on enemies worth a damn. Throwing daggers are actually the best believe it or not, due to them having an innate +1APR advantage over axes as well as them doing 2d4 base damage (for the magical returning ones), although if you are good aligned Azure Edge Axe is worth it just to destroy undead at range.

Obviously you'll eventually have Greater Whirlwind, but personally i prefer Imp.Haste and maybe 1 or 2 APR less per round so i can use Critical Strike/Smite or even Greater Deathblow instead, since they can add up to significantly greater damage compared to GWW.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    in my opinion firetooth +3 is the best throwing weapon, sometimes i start putting some points into axe so i can eventually use K'logarath, but realistically if you thac0 is great, stick with throwing daggers, you will be happy with your result :)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Throwing daggers are really good, plus its a sweet visual, chucking knives at people.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Thanks for your insights, everyone! :smiley:

I didn't know Firetooth dagger had such a long range (basically because I've never played further than Brynnlaw), but that 100 looks great. I'll probably take 2 points in longswords, daggers and axes each (can't take more since I'm multi-classing) and either 2 or 3 in Two-weapon style. That'll leave me another 3 or 4 points (considering the total of 12 due to the XP cap). What would you suggest me to invest these in?

I'm thinking about katanas (Celestial Fury, Dakkon's and Hindo's) and quarterstaves (so many options!). Is there anything else worth taking the points in? (Maybe I'll take one point each instead of two for the previous choices to compensate.)
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513

Thanks for your insights, everyone! :smiley:

I didn't know Firetooth dagger had such a long range (basically because I've never played further than Brynnlaw), but that 100 looks great. I'll probably take 2 points in longswords, daggers and axes each (can't take more since I'm multi-classing) and either 2 or 3 in Two-weapon style. That'll leave me another 3 or 4 points (considering the total of 12 due to the XP cap). What would you suggest me to invest these in?

I'm thinking about katanas (Celestial Fury, Dakkon's and Hindo's) and quarterstaves (so many options!). Is there anything else worth taking the points in? (Maybe I'll take one point each instead of two for the previous choices to compensate.)

I would say Flails for FoA and DoE, nice to have a bit of damage mitigation and 1h blunt damage, also quarterstaff for Staff of the Magi, the best weapon in the game (IMO) for invis+prot evil, +2 AC and Dispel Magic on hit.
  • Durmir46Durmir46 Member Posts: 110
    Staff of the Magi is definitely your best bet, I agree. It will prove so incredibly useful to you that I'll wager you will use only throwing daggers and the staff ultimately.
    Quarterstaves also have other goodies (gonna love the staff that kills golems in 1 hit).
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    There are some very nice melee daggers in the game. The "Jade Fang" from Hexxat's questline comes to mind. It paralyzes on hit (I don't recall if its a saving throw and percent chance) that I got a LOT of mileage out of in my first Blade run.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Sometimes, it seems that there are so many great weapons that it often becomes confusing which to use and which to keep in the backpack, especially when you don't have any significant weapon restrictions (like a F/M)! :D (Till now, in the first part of the game, I've generally used Daystar and some other weapon in the offhand for most of the time.)
  • ArchGhostArchGhost Member Posts: 30
    Boomerang and Hangaard's Axe are pretty much the same for early SoA, not much damage difference. Firetooth (dagger) is by far the best throwing weapon without GM and even with GM still edges out Dwarven Thrower (which you need UAI to even use, so...)

That said, any infinite thrower of decent enchantment level is a good weapon. You won't get a STR bonus but Crimson Dart gives a solid respectable output regardless of proficiency to any character except clerics. Remember the APR can multiply other boni per hit across it's 3 attacks other than just the STR bonus, like Bless, tensor's, or weapon gauntlets.
  • FylFyl Member Posts: 62
    Slings, Daggers, Axes