Skip to content

is there a good guide for making sure a new module is single/ Multip-player ready?

I'm getting my building bug back and find myself worrying about making sure that any mod I make is good for both single and Multi-player modes. Is there a good guide somewhere that details various issues and tips for doing this? I found a few old guides on the vault but they do not have very much for this specific topic. Maybe there isn't too much to worry about in this regard but I see even the premium mods had problems with multiplayer so I have to worry that it is going to be tricky.

I'm not too worried about persistent world stuff so much for myself but then again if I might make something like a mini-game, scripts or hak pak that a persistent world builder wants to include then knowing what might make such inclusion easy might be good too.

Comments

• RananRanan Member Posts: 34
    It really depends on what you exactly plan to build your module around. If it's more of a story driven module, then you'll want to be thorough in how you approach the journal, if you decide to at all. If it's a more out of character module that focuses on PVE monster killing, or PvP, then you'll want to make sure that it plays as intended. There's a pretty good guide to the toolset here :https://neverwintervault.org/rolovault/projects/nwn1/other/618/Dezmodian1084583690156Manual.pdf

Probably one of the best ways to get feedback is to load it up with a few friends and really test it
  • GM_ODAGM_ODA Member Posts: 177
    IDK of any specific guide for that, but I'll share some of my researched conventional wisdom and personal experience with you. This i s all specific to being single/multi-player friendly.

First up THINK. Do NOT build until you have thought very carefully about what it is you want to achieve. Then plot your route to get to that goal. Taking time in the beginning to outline the process will serve you well. This is true especially because you will be able to list the factors that you need to address, and hopefully not omit any. By knowing the goal and knowing the route you can better plan what tools to pack, so to speak.

When scripting ALWAYS remember to script with the thought clearly in mind that more than one PC will engage with the script. Craft your variables and choose the objects to store those variables on with this in mind (example : do not store variables triggered by the NPC's convo on the NPC unless you re-initialize those variables at the start of the convo because otherwise the next PC to speak with the NPC will be impacted by the prior PC's choices - this would impact re-playability short of a module restart).

Encounters must be crafted with care, especially since a solo player generally does not pack the punch that a party would. For this reason you may want to add lots of 'alternate' paths that do not involve encounter directly. Remember to accommodate solo and party play for ALL classes or advertise which classes are and are not supported clearly.

If you want to 'talk shop' sometime, I'd be happy to dialog with you on a visit to our server (I can demo some things there to accompany our chat a bit).
  • CalgacusCalgacus Member Posts: 273
    GM_ODA said:

If you want to 'talk shop' sometime, I'd be happy to dialog with you on a visit to our server (I can demo some things there to accompany our chat a bit).

Thanks I will take you up on that sometime.