Skip to content

Buffing Cernd in TOB

Hi, I picked up Cernd from the summoning spirits in Hell at the beginning of TB, and his starting protective equipment is atrocious e.g. no protective bracers, no belts/gauntlets of strength/dexterity/ None of my party has these either as I've just started from TOB.

So, my question is, what spells/items can I use/find in TOB that will bring his AC down from a lowly 7, and his stats up, using TOB only? I could have him in werewolf form most of the time but he's also very effective as a spellcaster (which I why I chose him) :)

Thanks!

Comments

• smyth25smyth25 Member Posts: 219
    I think Cernd should start at level 14 in TOB, so the 2nd level druid spell Barkskin would give him AC 3, because of Cernd’s high wisdom he can memorise plenty of those. His werewolf forms also boost his base AC (I think lesser grants AC 1 and greater grants AC -6). Werewolf forms also gain dex bonuses. The 5th level druid spell Iron skins also offers strong physical damage protection which lasts 12 hours.
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    edited August 2018
    I wouldn't bother with AC for Cernd, because AC isn't that important in ToB, anyway. Enemies have such a high Thac0 that they will hit you anyway. Ironskins is a far better protection than AC in this part of the game. Cernd should be very safe with Ironskins if you use him as a backrow caster.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Aha, that's good to know, thanks both :) I'm not so worried about him now!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    borntodie said:

I wouldn't bother with AC for Cernd, because AC isn't that important in ToB, anyway. Enemies have such a high Thac0 that they will hit you anyway. Ironskins is a far better protection than AC in this part of the game. Cernd should be very safe with Ironskins if you use him as a backrow caster.

Only until a certain threshold. AC-20 will make enemies miss A LOT. And with resources ToB gives you, this isn't that difficult to reach on a single character. AC 15 means enemies will miss about 30% of the time (If I haven't misremembered the math).
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Thanks, but practically none of my characters have ever had AC below -10 ;)
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    edited August 2018
    ThacoBell said:

Only until a certain threshold. AC-20 will make enemies miss A LOT. And with resources ToB gives you, this isn't that difficult to reach on a single character.

Yeah godly AC is still going to work, but Cernd is not the companion you want to spend all of your best tank equipment on.