Skip to content

Fewer enemies in BG:EE (WILL BE FIXED NEXT PATCH)

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    It's bgtutu that was broken, spawning way more enemies than it should. BGEE is fine :/
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    ajwz said:

It's bgtutu that was broken, spawning way more enemies than it should. BGEE is fine :/

It's not "fine".

I have played vanilla BG recently, and there are less enemy spawns in BG:EE than this one.

But you are true in one thing : BG Tutu overpopulated the area, and consequently BG:EE underpopulated them compared with Vanilla BG.

• The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    edited December 2012
    Tutu got it wrong, but BG:EE also got it wrong. Just go ahead and play vanilla, it's very, very different from EE, and much more fun (at least with regard to enemy spawns, not so much with regard to arrow stacks).
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    In BG Vanilla you actually had to ration your arrows ;)
    BG:EE adjusts spawn quantities to your parties level, as the vanilla game intended. Hence if you went to firewine bridge early on, you wont get ridiculous amounts of kobold commandos spawning.

I really don't understand this :/

Are you possibly referring to the quickload bug, which doubled the number of spawning enemies in an area every time you loaded? Because that was fixed in subsequent patches in vanilla.
    Nice to see this topic has some legs. ;)

Tutu got it wrong, but BG:EE also got it wrong. Just go ahead and play vanilla, it's very, very different from EE, and much more fun (at least with regard to enemy spawns, not so much with regard to arrow stacks).

Good to see this kind of answers :)

• WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    I certainly recall more than a single low level foe (Xvarts, diseased gibberlings etc) in encounters in the map where you meet Elmisnter at the start in vanilla BG.

Nashkel mines do seem about the same as they were altho some of the hobgoblin spawns on the way to Nashkel seem a bit less altho now that I think about it I was playing a FMT with only a single companion until I got to Nashkel so my "party level" would be very low on those early maps and perhaps thats what I am seeing.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Shandyr said:

Worse: There is a "bug" (some call it feature) which works the other way around in BG1:EE - it deletes/reduces enemy spawns on reloads...

It's not a bug or a feature, it's working as intended. Random spawns are random. There is not necessarily a group of monsters spawning at every possible spawn point. Again, this is the same as how vanilla worked.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Maybe fewer spawns is a way to keep the game balanced with the edition of new areas/quests/future dlc, just a thought...

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    ajwz said:

I hope you're joking...
    Judge yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i59qK3AF8yY
    I think you may have posted the wrong video.

But I still stand by my point.
    edited December 2012
    ajwz said:

Shandyr said:

Worse: There is a "bug" (some call it feature) which works the other way around in BG1:EE - it deletes/reduces enemy spawns on reloads...

It's not a bug or a feature, it's working as intended. Random spawns are random. There is not necessarily a group of monsters spawning at every possible spawn point. Again, this is the same as how vanilla worked.

Of course there shall not be monsters on every *random* spawn points !

But when a mob has spawn, he shall not disappear on reload !
    (And as long as he lives, another mob shall not spawn at the location where he spawned !)

EDIT : and the current spawn system is stupid - and never happened in vanilla BG.

I have met this encounter a few times :

Random waylaid by ennemies - south part of the sword coast map :

Low level : 6 spawn points of hobgoblins - 6 hobgoblins
    Mid level : 6 spawn points of hobgoblins - 12 hobgoblins (two per spawn points)
    High (level 6 currently) level : 6 spawn points of hobgoblins - 18 hobgoblins (three per spawn points)

I have never met such a silly random encounter before.
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    There is already a topic about this with 7+ pages. Please use that instead. (Just all of our reasoning is divided to several topics.) Thanks.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8555/lack-of-monsters/p1

ajwz said:

Shandyr said:

Of course there shall not be monsters on every *random* spawn points !

But when a mob has spawn, he shall not disappear on reload !
    (And as long as he lives, another mob shall not spawn at the location where he spawned !)

But you can't save when a mob is on the screen. So when you reload, if the mob does not spawn in the same place again then it is just the spawn ponts behaving randomly, as you conceeded they should do.
    ajwz said:

No, it's the right video. Jump to the point he reaches Firewine and tell me if you see ONE Zombie or ONE Cobold.
    edited December 2012
    edited December 2012

ajwz said:

No, it's the right video. Jump to the point he reaches Firewine and tell me if you see ONE Zombie or ONE Cobold.
    Why should only one spawn? The party is obviously around lvl 5 or 6.
    Anyway, thats not bgtutu or bgee, its just bg vanilla. So are you arguing that bgtutu, bg1 and bgee are *all* broken?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    Someone opened a Poll about this, but that topic is really a bad joke, possible to dismiss the seriousness of this bug thread. Don't like that. And there is now more than 5 topics about this bug. Could someone merge them? Thanks.
    edited December 2012
    Shandyr said:

@ajwz

so the gameplay goes like this:

I sneak with my thief around in shadows, watching out for enemies.

When I reach my enemies I cannot save, so I draw my thief back until I can save.
    Then I think of a tactic of how to beat the enemies and attack.

Sometimes I fail, so I reload and the spawn is gone (i.e. not relocated anywhere but gone, just gone).
    No XP for me.

That's interesting, I agree that behavior shouldnt be like that. But I also think that that is how the vanilla bg1 was intended to work, once it was properly patched. I certainly remember stuff like that happening in the original
    ajwz said:

Shandyr said:

@ajwz

so the gameplay goes like this:

I sneak with my thief around in shadows, watching out for enemies.

When I reach my enemies I cannot save, so I draw my thief back until I can save.
    Then I think of a tactic of how to beat the enemies and attack.

Sometimes I fail, so I reload and the spawn is gone (i.e. not relocated anywhere but gone, just gone).
    No XP for me.

That's interesting, I agree that behavior shouldnt be like that. But I also think that that is how the vanilla bg1 was intended to work, once it was properly patched. I certainly remember stuff like that happening in the original

No. That's what we've been trying to explain since the beginning.

And no, that did not happened in the original.
    o.O
    @ajwz what kind of drugs do you use, bro?

You said:
    ajwz said:

I assume "fine" stands for "same as vanilla", right?
    At this point I linked to you a vanilla video that clearly shows how many mobs you are supposed to encounter in Firewine.
    Now, at lvl5, I was able to still find isolated Cobold, Zombies and Skeletons around those ruins.
    Is is still "fine"?
    edited December 2012
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    The only time I've seen one single gibbering was on the very first map when I only had 2 party members. I occasionally see a single wolf, but otherwise see groups of enemies.

In the area's I've explored so far I've seen BGEE is handling spawn rates correctly.

o.O
    @ajwz what kind of drugs do you use, bro?

You said:

ajwz said:

I assume "fine" stands for "same as vanilla", right?
    At this point I linked to you a vanilla video that clearly shows how many mobs you are supposed to encounter in Firewine.
    Now, at lvl5, I was able to still find isolated Cobold, Zombies and Skeletons around those ruins.
    Is is still "fine"?
    Are you deliberately trying to misunderstand me? Or did you only read selected parts of my posts?
    IWhy would that video show the amount of mobs you are "Supposed" to fight, when the amount of mobs you are supposed to fight changes with your level? How does that video demonstrate anything?
    The fact that there are many 'single' spawns says to me that something is not quite right. Was it intentionally nerfed...or is it a bug?
    Either, it is a bug or a bad design choice (nerf) from the devs (the same we have seen since the beginning concerning cutscenes, proficiency of NPC, ...).
This discussion has been closed.