Skip to content

Fewer enemies in BG:EE (WILL BE FIXED NEXT PATCH)

Comments

• Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Whatever it is, it's a problem that should be easily fixed with adding an extra option, call it 'classic BG' ;)
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    @bigdogchris just read through this topic before a statement like this.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Shandyr said:

@ajwz

Lol I well I don't remember that - I remember it the other way around due to the quickload bug in original BG1 that you refered to, meaning sometime I failed my monsters, I reloaded and then there were twice as much.

Anyway be it like in the original Bg1 or not (I have not experienced it) - I just don't like it at the moment.
    It adds up with the effect of lone monster spawns (Peldvale was a almost break for me, with only single blacktalon elites standing around).

If you say it is fine for you the way it is, then I would say it's fine that it is fine for you, still I would want an OPTION to turn on a different spawn behaviour.

So then it's no bug but a feature request.

Well you may be right, my experiences were not that monsters dissapeared altogether very often, but that they could swap, so that for example you were fighting wolves and you reloaded and you were fighting hobgoblins.
    What about the two obvious examples, the Gnoll fortress and Firewine ruins. In Classic BG, those maps were swarming. Actually, in the Gnoll fortress, I recall new Ghnoll spawning everytime a quicksave was made. So, clearly the spawn mechanic has been....altered.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    ajwz said:

o.O
    @ajwz what kind of drugs do you use, bro?

You said:

ajwz said:

It's bgtutu that was broken, spawning way more enemies than it should. BGEE is fine :/

I assume "fine" stands for "same as vanilla", right?
    At this point I linked to you a vanilla video that clearly shows how many mobs you are supposed to encounter in Firewine.
    Now, at lvl5, I was able to still find isolated Cobold, Zombies and Skeletons around those ruins.
    Is is still "fine"?
    Are you deliberately trying to misunderstand me? Or did you only read selected parts of my posts?
    IWhy would that video show the amount of mobs you are "Supposed" to fight, when the amount of mobs you are supposed to fight changes with your level? How does that video demonstrate anything?
    Wow... I want to feel the chill of thinking like you:
    If that guy encounters 6/7 mobs where I find ONE at lvl5-6, it means he has epic lvl chars.
    *BRRRRRRR*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    If you choose the Core difficulty there should be everything as it is: Core. So no XP penalty, no damage/attack bonus or penalty, no fewer monsters in a monster group. This a game that tries to be so close to the AD&D PnP game as possible. Other difficulties are just for fun, I don't care what they do. Forgotten Realms is made by design to a Points-of-Light world, so it should be hard. Please redo the original difficulty. Thanks.
    Maybe they just ported over the BGII spawn algorithm without thinking about it. In BGII after all, the spawn rates are much smaller.
    But now with only 1 monsters in each random group we loose 2/3 of the original XP from killing monsters. I already had a problem bec. of this: we couldn't kill a Vamp. Wolf in the Temple area bec. we were 1 level down as we should be as reaching this point in the game. what if we reach the end? Will we have 2/3 of the XP as we meet the Boss? I don't like this idea. I don't want to go on raids as the WoW does. It should be enough XP earned by visiting a place once.
    Whaterver is the reason, a reply from one of the dev would be really appreciated.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    Sese79 said:

@bigdogchris just read through this topic before a statement like this.

To my defense, I haven't been to the bandit camp area or Durlags yet. I am going to be very soon though. Otherwise, from what I've seen in other area's it's been right from what I remember. I changed my post to better reflect that.

And yes, @Shandyr showed us many examples that this fewer monster problem occurs in Insane difficulty too, and it occurs on normal close to the end of the game. So this is a bug, not a bad decision, so please fix it. Thanks.
    And to the end: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8555/lack-of-monsters#latest
    Please use this topic, there are some 7+ pages reasoning about this.
    Devs., please merge this topic to the above mentioned one. Thanks.
    @bigdogchris I played this game on normal diff. before a year. I remember well, that it is not. Under the Firewine bridge for example was a ton of kobold commando. Now you will find only two of them.
  • sazalandsazaland Member Posts: 25
    Last time I pre-order a game personally. I really thought I wouldn't have to worry about things like 15-25% of normal spawn rates happening in BG:EE. As it stands I'm sitting on a useless game, may as well play my BG1/TotSC...
    edited December 2012
    @Tanthalas can you merge them please?

Maybe they just ported over the BGII spawn algorithm without thinking about it. In BGII after all, the spawn rates are much smaller.

Yes, it can be the reason. And fewer enemies are reasonable in BG2, they had stronger monsters as in BG1.
    I miss the XP from this monster groups.
    sazaland said:

Last time I pre-order a game personally. I really thought I wouldn't have to worry about things like 15-25% of normal spawn rates happening in BG:EE. As it stands I'm sitting on a useless game, may as well play my BG1/TotSC...

Yep, next time I will wait an extra year until all the game bugs are cleared. It is disappointing how buggy this release is. But I have faith in this company, they give us a patch in every 2,5 days. So it will be better, we just have to wait a little more.
  • RapscallionRapscallion Member Posts: 81
    I knew there was something up with this game! When I visited the Firewine Bridge I fought maybe a few zombies and that crazy woman. I remembered this zone being murder when I played it years ago. It took about 10 minutes to clear out the ruins. Also many of the wilderness maps were utterly barren, some had less than 5 monsters on it. Viconia and the Flaming Fist dude was pretty much the only encounter on Peldvale.

This might explain why I completed my BG:EE game so damn quickly. Oh, I also loved the fact that it took around 5 seconds (no exaggeration) for my team to chunk Sarevok and his thief buddy, while the other members of their team were picking their noses halfway across the room.
    Thanks for merging this topics.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    No problem.

I believe there was talk a while ago about having more enemies spawn when your party is full than when you're soloing, and another talk about scaling it based on difficulty. The way it currently works, if I understand it correctly, is that random spawns are "wandering"--which means that you might encounter them where you expect them, or you might encounter them somewhere else. This could be an explanation for why the reload causes them to disappear; they're respawning, but not in the same spot.

Either way, it's worth a look.
    edited December 2012
    edited December 2012
    Aosaw said:

No problem.

I believe there was talk a while ago about having more enemies spawn when your party is full than when you're soloing, and another talk about scaling it based on difficulty.
    Either way, it's worth a look.

The concept has no flaws. But it seems that this is not working well. We already showed with examples, that this bug occurs until the end of the game, and in every difficulty. No matter of level, party size and difficulty.

I wish that the normal and the core difficulties were the same as they were in the vanilla. Just create a new easy difficulty for causal / new gamers, set that as default, but please restore the main difficulties as normal and core. If we choose the Core we except that this diff. is as close as possible to the AD&D PnP Forgotten Realms Vanilla etc. gameplay. Thanks.
    "Squeaky wheels get the KICK!"

;)
    @Aosaw: I wrote two mails regarding this to Mr. Trent and to Mr. Nathan. And if you have a little time just scroll through this topic, we were reasoning a lot and we posted many examples. I have no energy left for today just to write in again all. I now go home and play in hope that this will be changed soon. Thanks. :)
    edited December 2012
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I'll submit it into the tracker, which means it'll get a closer look. (I'm at work at the moment, or I'd do it right now.)
This discussion has been closed.