Skip to content

BGEE was just released on Steam

Comments

• moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    edited January 2013

Capitalism, ho!

I'm pretty sure you don't know what that word means.

Also, if people launch the game from the Steam client or Overhaul's client I don't see how that would impact the community.
    Quartz said:

Wow. You guys are whiners. Always expecting free things. Ridiculous.

Asking if we can launch the game we already bought from a different client isn't exactly asking for something for free.

Key word: Asking

Also, loyalty is a hard good to find nowadays, it seems.

It isn't as if people are demanding a refund so they can go buy it from Steam.

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    moopy said:

Capitalism, ho!

I'm pretty sure you don't know what that word means.

It was a quote from recettear
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    ajwz said:

It was a quote from recettear

Doesn't mean it made sense.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    edited January 2013
    @moopy: What I meant with 'Capitalism, ho!' is that I find it a pity that the sales of BG:EE have now partially fallen into the grubby hands of Valve. As if they don't make enough profit already. I thought Overhaul really could become something big, but if they continue publishing their future products on Steam, I'm afraid they won't make the best of profits themselves...

I live in a capitalistic society. So yes, I know what 'capitalism' means. Here, I did my homework:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalism

As for the refund, it might happen. Eventually. When the big news starts to spread and the hungry trolls, whiners and Steam fanbois catch its scent.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629

Also, loyalty is a hard good to find nowadays, it seems.

So hard to find decent folk nowadays...
    Yeah, my wording was a bit odd. Or did you mean something else?
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

Yeah, my wording was a bit odd. Or did you mean something else?

Was just trying to be funny by putting a slight spin on what you said, turning it into an Elvenhair Firebead quote. No need to dwell on it :)
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    "We are Steam... you will be assimilated... resistance is futile..." :(
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    AFAIK, Atari has the digital distribution rights for the Baldur's Gate license. We can't deal directly with Steam but we'll still receive a portion of the sales. We can't push updates ourselves and we won't know how well it's doing until Atari tells us.
  • UnknownQuantityUnknownQuantity Member Posts: 242
    If you can't push updates to steam does that mean they are actually getting the short end of the stuck? I wouldn't want to buy it on steam if the game doesn't get updated very often.
  • pakbgeepakbgee Member Posts: 31
    co-sign! will be good if a steam key is provided!
  • LockLock Member Posts: 84
    I'm an unashamed "steam fanboi" so yes, I'm a bit perturbed by this and I would very, very much like a steam key provided.

However I imagine the entire process was out of Beamdog's control and the chances of Atari giving out free keys to potential customers is slim to none.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited January 2013
    Coriander said:

AFAIK, Atari has the digital distribution rights for the Baldur's Gate license. We can't deal directly with Steam but we'll still receive a portion of the sales. We can't push updates ourselves and we won't know how well it's doing until Atari tells us.

Not being able to push the updates yourselves is very bad... But, correct me if iam wrong, I think most of the updates will download through BGEE launcher so steam users might still get most of the patches at the same time, right? Unless Steam version does not include the launcher which imo is a mistake, especialy if atari is acting like that...

ps.I'am guessing no steam keys for us beamdoggies?
    edit:http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/14633/steam-key-for-beamdog-buyers
    I see, thks for trying :)

Anyway BGEE is off to a great start, currently 2º Steam top seller and I'am sure it will make first!
    Post edited by Razor on
  • TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    Hey @qwert_44643 try the Beamdog offline mode before you go buying it elsewhere. Once the download is complete you are free to run without the launcher, etc.
    We keep the launcher to make updates easier.

-Trent
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    @Coriander so much for syncing the multiplayer updates, then. :(
  • ZeratulZeratul Member Posts: 575
    @TrenOster have you tried to cast a Dire Charm on Atari crew? Maybe that can do the trick! Otherwise i think that we can send Viconia and her arguments to them!
  • qwert_44643qwert_44643 Member Posts: 311

Hey @qwert_44643 try the Beamdog offline mode before you go buying it elsewhere. Once the download is complete you are free to run without the launcher, etc.
    We keep the launcher to make updates easier.

-Trent

Yeah i just figured that out,that was the only reason i was thinking bout buying it off of steam....but like i mentioned earlier im just gonna keep the copy i got from beamdog and will buy the bg2:ee from beamdog as well.

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Zeratul said:

Otherwise i think that we can send Viconia and her arguments to them!

Atari is used to dealing with evil though.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    @trest

We're having a very hard time convincing Atari to agree to allow us to provide Steam keys. I continue to press the issue.
    -Trent

If you can't get us Steam keys you could always give BG2EE for free to people who bought BGEE from here, or at least a very significant discount.

• VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
    I like Steam, but I don't really care if we get a key for it or not. I already launch the game from there and I'd rather not let people know how much I love Baldur's Gate with that damnable timer they have. ;)
  • qwert_44643qwert_44643 Member Posts: 311

Messi said:

If you can't get us Steam keys you could always give BG2EE for free to people who bought BGEE from here, or at least a very significant discount.

That... is just ungodly stupid.

I totally agree and i like steam.

• bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    Glad to see this up on Steam. Getting the game in front of as many paying customers as possible is an A+ move.
  • CleaveCleave Member Posts: 32
    So much content for new memes in the Meme Thread!!
  • RohndilRohndil Member Posts: 171
    Bhaal save us from achievements.
  • VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
    Rohndil said:

Bhaal save us from achievements.

Achievements are just good fun. Why hate on them? If you don't care about them, ignore them.