Skip to content

#16058 - [All] Tooltip font size too small to read on Mac Retina displays / high resolution monitors

volneb83volneb83 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 525
edited August 2015 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.3)
The font size of the tooltip is too small to read and the text area in the tool tip scroll is not layouted properly, see attached screenshot. I am on a MacBook with retina display, maybe this is causing the error.
Post edited by Hurricane on

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Did you buy the game from Beamdog, or the Mac App Store?
  • volneb83volneb83 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 525
    App Store, version 1.3.2053
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    I do not have a Retina display Mac, but I can't seem to repo this on a MBP Circa 2007 (Pre-Retina). I even tried a couple different languages (couldn't figure out which one exactly was in the screen shot) in case it was a language/translation issue.

In all cases the Tool Tip text is centered and completely visible for me regardless of language or screen size selection.

Sorry!
    The language in the screenshot is German but changing it to English does not change anything. I really think that this issue is related to the Retina resolution because it looks like scale factors of the texts do not work as they should.
    Just to be clear: There is no one on Beamdog's side who can reproduce this error on a Retina display?
    I mean, that there *is* a bug with the font size of the tool tips on Retina displays is pretty obvious when you look at the screenshot.
  • psyactpsyact Member Posts: 81
    edited September 2014
    I have the same issue with the tooltip text not being centered, and I'm on a PC (purchased the game from Beamdog). It has something to do with the scaling option -- if I turn it off, the text is fine, but when the UI is scaled, the tooltip text is off-center (like above).

My monitor resolution is 2560x1440. Perhaps it's only occurring on high-resolution monitors?

[EDIT] Also, it only seems to occur with two-line tooltip text -- in this case, mostly characters with HPs below their name.
    Oh yes, I can confirm that: On a Retina display the text of the tooltip is not scaled with UI scaling turned on. This leads to the situation that the text is too small compared to the size of the tooltip scroll.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    There has been activity on this, not reflected on the forum thread so I'll mark with the appropriate ticket number.
    Thanks
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    This is not mentioned in the "Known Issues" topic.
  • SerpentSoulSerpentSoul Member Posts: 14
    I also have this bug...any word when we might get a fix for that? Or is there a workaround? My monitors native resolution is also 2560x1440...
  • johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397
    i have this problem too and i am using Macbook pro retina. please fix this asap. thanks!
  • fikoantunesfikoantunes Member Posts: 1
    Hello! So far there's no update? Still waiting for a fix on this...
  • sloscheidersloscheider Member Posts: 2
    Same here - MacBook Pro 15" 2014 model - Game works great EXCEPT the Tool Tips are tiny... Perhaps there's a config file somewhere which would allow us to specify a scale ratio for the Tips?
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    I have this problem on Win7 64, the steam version. http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/641073
  • fundarilfundaril Member Posts: 1
    I still encounter this issue on my MBP with retina display. It has been half a year since this bug was posted. Why isn't there any solution yet? Playing without ui scaling is hardly enjoyable... Please fix this.
  • petrklapkapetrklapka Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2015
    Same issue here. Tooltip text is too small and not aligned correctly. Mac version 1.3.2054 on 2880x1800 "retina" display. Issue is not present when "UI Scaling" is disabled, but then the UI becomes so small as to be unusable.
  • mastershogomastershogo Member Posts: 2
    I have a MBP Retina with a 2880x1880 screen and I'm getting the same thing, petrklapka. However, my version shows 1.3.2053. In any case, I use a little tool called "RDM" to control the scaling of my display and I set it to 1440x900, which would be the non-retina resolution for my screen. The game works fine that way. It's just a shame, though.
  • mastershogomastershogo Member Posts: 2
    * I meant I have a 2880x1800 display.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @elminster @Hurricane
    This bug is not present in the List of Known Issues. I suggest to add it :)
  • HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
    @Troodon80 has reported the bug specifically for BG:EE now, so I'm tagging with the new number. We can confirm that the issue depends on the screen resolution and is not only specific to Mac Retina displays. The bug has been added to the List of Known Issues. Thank you all.
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    Hurricane said:

@Troodon80 has reported the bug specifically for BG:EE now, so I'm tagging with the new number. We can confirm that the issue depends on the screen resolution and is not only specific to Mac Retina displays. The bug has been added to the List of Known Issues. Thank you all.

It happens on not just macs, but on Windows 7 (at least) as well. And on IWD:EE. And that's using 1920x1200 resolution. http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/641073