Skip to content

Android Update: Beta Test for Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, and Icewind Dale

DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
edited July 2015 in Archived News
We are finishing testing on an update to Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition, and Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition for Android. One of the major shifts in this update is that we are changing the way our builds are distributed. The full list of changes for each game is at the bottom of this post.

Want to get involved in the testing? Join our new Infinity Engine community on Google+, and opt into the beta using one (or all) of the links below. If you find something happening that shouldn't be, definitely let us know by posting in the comments here or on Google+.

Joining the Beta Test

Getting access to the beta is easier than ever. Just follow these steps:
1. Join the Beamdog Beta community on Google+: Link!

2. Opt into the beta for each of the games that you want to test:
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition
Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition
3. On your device that has the game installed, go to "My Apps" in the Google Play Store and find the game. Tap "Update" to download the latest beta.

4. No more steps. You're done!
Once you've gotten into the Beta, let us know how it plays for you. Apart from the changes listed below there shouldn't be anything different from what was in the previous version, so "Looks good on my [insert device here]!" is totally acceptable feedback. We'll keep a tally in this post showing how many people have installed the Beta on their devices for each game. Our goal is 150 testers for each game, so spread the word!

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition: 182 / 150 (GOAL REACHED!)
Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition: 49 / 150
Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition: 27 / 150

Change Log

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition changes:

- Samsung devices showing a blank screen after updating to 5.0.2 should now display the game correctly
- Battle music now ends properly when combat is over
- Hungarian, Russian, and Ukrainian text translations are now available from the Language selection screen in-game
- The "back" button on your device now closes the Credits screen instead of closing the app entirely
- The Wizard Slayer kit description now correctly states that Spell Failure occurs on both ranged and melee attacks

Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition changes:

- Samsung devices showing a blank screen after updating to 5.0.2 should now display the game correctly
- Devices that had trouble showing transparent water effects now correctly display those effects in-game

Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition changes:

Post edited by Dee on
elminsterlolienhook71TheTimeWandererJuliusBorisovkaguanaGandamf2112

Comments

• LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
    In the current Android build (not beta) I experience that my NPC's auto attack only works sporadically, or not at all, in some saved games (other runs are fine). I have the AI button enabled (bright light) and all my NPC's has the 'Standard attack' script selected. My charname also experiences the problem.
    Is this a known bug?
    It's a deal breaker for me - I can't bother to play the game without auto attack.
  • simAlitysimAlity Member Posts: 64
    Loldrup, that sounds like something that should be reported on the bug forum.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The tallies have been updated, based on Google Play's (admittedly rather slow) analytics. Looks like BG:EE is seeing a lot of beta activity, which is great to see. Remember to try out the other games as well, and get your friends involved if they play these games on Android (or, you know, even if they don't. Who doesn't want a new Galaxy Tab S 8.4 with Baldur's Gate already installed on it, amirite?)!
    JuliusBorisovRAM021
    @xaipe From the investigations we've made so far, there doesn't appear to be a way to do that because of the way the app gets installed. I know it's something that comes up pretty frequently, though.
    JuliusBorisovRAM021Brer_Rabbit
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    edited July 2015
    Okay... I'm messing about to get this.

If I import a character from the tutorial (which was also not overly stable with the sound going squerchy on me for a moment) and immediately pause the game to attempt the pause and drop all your items cheat, it will crash.

Nor sure if crash dumps are generated, but I have a file viewer so should be able to copy and paste them (just point me in the right direction to find them)

BG:EE on Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Edit: Continued to see if I could reproduce this again consistently.

- Play tutorial.
    - Note Belt fails to give final test dialogue before you go into cellar (quest can still be completed)
    - Start Baldurs Gate.
    - Screen stays black for a long time and or crashes.
    Post edited by Anduin on
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Started a new game of BG:EE on my Asus TF101 last night and noticed the following:

-Set the font size one tick larger from default
    -During Gorion's fight cut scene the text above his head blinks between the default font size and the next larger as he walks

This did not happen before the last update.
    Brer_Rabbit
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    If we find bugs do we post here @Dee ?
  • NaomiLinNaomiLin Member Posts: 2
    Game gonna crash in android 5.0 (baldur gate1) can you fix it?
  • AlexTAlexT Member Posts: 760
    NaomiLin said:

Game gonna crash in android 5.0 (baldur gate1) can you fix it?

We can look into it.

Be sure to hit the "Report" button and submit the crash once it happens. Doing that ensures that the crash report will appear in our database and we can then use that info to pinpoint the cause of the crash and fix it.
    elminsterJuliusBorisovlolien
  • MortaelMortael Member Posts: 33
    BG2 for Android. Now you're talking ;)
    lolienT2av
  • WildPumpkinWildPumpkin Member Posts: 1
    Is there any update on when this patch will be pushed to live?

I own the PC version of BG, but was hoping to pick it up on Android because I'm traveling very frequently. However I'd like to wait till the patch comes out, as my tablet is a Samsung Galaxy S 10.5.

I suppose I'll have to rebuy the extra character I was using, but it would be great to be able to finally play through BG for the first time!
    Brer_Rabbit
  • Brer_RabbitBrer_Rabbit Member Posts: 159
    cmk24 said:

Started a new game of BG:EE on my Asus TF101 last night and noticed the following:

-Set the font size one tick larger from default
    -During Gorion's fight cut scene the text above his head blinks between the default font size and the next larger as he walks

This did not happen before the last update.

Posting to say that I can confirm on my Droid RAZR M. I thought I was going crazy for a minute there. Thank God Gorion doesn't last too long.
  • rastafrograstafrog Member Posts: 1
    Sony Xperia z3 tablet compact, runs well, but there are some small bugs in Russian translations, different worlds using to name same things, and few inncorrect translations.
    Just a quick note, we are almost ready to ship the android update of BG:EE.

Can everyone please test the latest beta and let us know if there are any crashes that were not solved by it?
    lolienJuliusBorisov
  • maneromanero Member Posts: 392
    edited September 2015
    Game doesnt start after update!!! WTF? Lenovo yoga tab 2 android 5.
    Typical beamdog. First you have to wait shitload of time for update and when it arives ITS bugged.
    wojtek
    @manero If you didn't participate in the beta before, I recommend joining it now. Not only will you see the fix faster, but you'll increase the chances that any issues affecting your specific device will be caught before the update is released. There's more than eight thousand different Android devices out there, and we don't have the means to test all of them.
    lolien
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @Dee I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 but with Android 4.4.2. I'm updating app atm and will test if the problem occurs on my side too.
    @manero is the game crashing on startup for you? If so, can you send us a report (i.e. just press the Report button).
  • maneromanero Member Posts: 392
    i cant do anything. i cant even start game.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @Dee @AlexT It seems that I have the same problem as @manero. App just stops running when I try to start. I pressed report button already.
    Thanks @Cahir.

We are looking into this.
    lolien