Skip to content

Kagain panicks, turns berserk

The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
Okay, so I just recruited Kagain as a frontline fighter since I ditched Minsc and Dynaheir. First fight he's participating in, a cave bear jumps out of the woods at High Hedge and attacks. Kagain is at it, but gets mauled badly. CHARNAME as a cleric heals him, heals him again, the bear lands another left-right-uppercut combo on Kagain, who panicks. Nobody there to raise his morale (I should have brought Garrick), but the bear is brought down by the power of Helm and Rasaads Wakizashi.

Guess what happens next? Kagain pulls an XCOM on me, loses his shit and attacks Rasaad. I start running in circles, hoping he'll pull himself together, and looking for "Hold Person" spells. Of course, I got none. Montaron and CHARNAME run after him with bare fists, trying to knock him unconscious. They manage to do so, unfortunately Rasaad tries to defend himself as well... and you know that special thing about monk fists.

Needless to say, Kagain had to be carried out with his feet forward. I'm playing a minimum reload game, so I carry him to the Morningsong Temple to revive him because, hey, at least he tried. Plus he's a funny guy, and although he's evil, Rasaad felt sorry about his fist slipping. Those Lathander guys must've seen me coming, however, because Raise Dead suddenly cost 200 gold coins. It was only half that a few days ago when Imoen bought the farm. Still, what's an honorable CHARNAME to do...

I gave Kagain a chainmail shirt as a present and a heartfelt 'sorry' from Rasaad, and dumped him right back in his shop. Sorry, Kagain, it just didn't work out for us. I hope he won't get jealous at Ajantis.

Long story short, did anyone ever experience this in vanilla BG or the EE? I didn't, and I'm wondering whether Beamdog put panicky NPCs attacking you in as a new feature, maybe even a nod to the also-revived XCOM. 'twas fun either way, though.

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I seem to remember this being something Kagain just sort of...does. But I never traveled with him extensively, so I couldn't comment with any certainty.

It sounds about right, though. That guy's insane.
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    Dwarf beserking.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    Yeah Kagain is like Khalid and Garrick in that he frequently loses morale. Only sometimes, his morale failure causes him to go berserk instead of running away.

This behavior can also be witnessed in Gibberlings.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

Yeah Kagain is like Khalid and Garrick in that he frequently loses morale. Only sometimes, his morale failure causes him to go berserk instead of running away.

This behavior can also be witnessed in Gibberlings.

Kagain: Half-dwarf/half-gibberling.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Minsc also goes berzerk when he panics, as do a handful of other characters.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    edited December 2012
    Thanks for your comments. I didn't know Kagains grandfather was blue and long-haired, but that explains a lot. Even Xan was braver than him when the Xvarts struck him down.

@sandmanCCL Yeah, that of course. I guess everone witnessed that one time or another, but word about Kagain's gibbery heritage apparently hasn't spread so far. I always thought he'd be quite confident, seeing as he's practically made of hitpoints.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Kagain got bear-hugged! D:
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I've seen Minsc turned berserk when his witch Aerie died in battle.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Ask yourself, what do dwarves do when they get low on health? Do they run? No Dwarves get angry, and when dwarves get angry and there is no ale around they get angrier. And then the first thing in range becomes a source for them to take out their low health anger and their lack of ale anger. Your monk should have known better ;)
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Monk knew better, kagain should have known fists kill.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Anyone can go berserk, it's one of the possible panic reactions if morale drops too low, happens to monsters too, if they live that long. He just took so much damage in such a short amount of time his run like hell response dipped all the way into go nuts and kill everything mode.