Skip to content

What is an RPG?

2»

Comments

• KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    iKrivetko said:

So TES is not an RPG because it isn't turn-based?

Yup.. but that's just my personal opinion that it is not - as already mentioned, to me TES is more like a Fantasy World Simulator. I really love the TES games, too, but if I want to play a RPG, then I play sth else. Perhaps this strange pov comes from my PnP background.. I don't know.. it's just like that.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Kurumi I feel the same, I felt like playing action games when I played Skyrim, and it wasn't so good as they say for me, I'll stay with D&D.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    That's a bizarre way to define RPG, since TES et al often have more "role-playing" involved. Either way, I too enjoy dnd and the likes more.
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    WHAT IS AN RPG!? A miserable pile of stats, but enough talk, quests at you!
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    I admit.. it's certainly not a common definition - perhaps even weird.. but then.. there are other strange examples of opinions in this matter, too.. I've a friend and she's in a larp group and by her definition only larp is true rp. Perhaps this manifold of different definitions is even something that makes the whole RPG-genre so big and popular, because everyone can find something in it that suits their taste best.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    If you go down deep enough...

RPG as a genre means nothing...

What specifically defines a game as an RPG? When you really get down to it, nothing does.

Leveling? if leveling means it's an RPG does this mean every shooter with leveling up in their multiplayer is an RPG?

Being Turn-based? Every turn-based game out there is an RPG? From the card games to the strategy ones?

Character stats? Those are rather common in games...
  • DeathKnightDeathKnight Member Posts: 93
    edited December 2013

WHAT IS AN RPG!? A miserable pile of stats, but enough talk, quests at you!

The RPG from which you drew this phrase, is heralded to be one of the greatest RPGs EVER made! The same applies for its soundtrack, which has become the stuff of legend; even symphonic orchestras have devoted real concerts at its honor! Damn, this RPG is the living proof that 2d graphics produce greater results, in making an RPG! This single title, was released when 3d was already out and had already conquered the market, yet it was a great hit; any other title simply failed miserably in comparison to this flawless masterpiece! Despite the fact that it was a JRPG, and curiously enough, NOT a turn based one, which is pretty rare. Now you made me install my sega saturn emulator and revamp the enhanced, remade version of it, on its native audio and dub; thanks, you made my night man!