Skip to content

A crappy stat rolling monitoring utility I made.

RavelRavel Member Posts: 140
***UPDATED TO v1.0.2011***
Just saw that a new update has been released and I've uploaded v1.0.2011 to GameFront and MediaFire
***END UPDATE***

I'm not gonna lie, this thing's not amazing - but I'm hoping some of you will find it useful. Basically it's a small program which you can run alongside BG:EE as you create your character and it will calculate your stat total as well as show you your strength percentage stat without having to put 18 points into strength to see it.

Here's a screenshot if it:

Here's a quick tutorial video to show you what it's like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn_MPBzIjfg

It's not meant to automate the process, but rather to help streamline the process for those who don't use Ctrl-8.

You can find the links for all of the different versions on my gamefront profile. I list them according to which BG:EE version they're compatible with.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/user/SirDimos

Make sure to read the readme, because this program is very fragile. I have only tested it on my computer and my wife's computer, and on top of that I didn't program it to be very robust - so if you don't follow the readme instructions pretty much to a T, it's probably gonna crash on you. Hell, it'll probably crash on a lot of you who DO follow it to a T :P

I don't promise I'll fix any issues you find, but if you find something either message me on here (Ravel) or over on Reddit (Sir_Dimos) and I'll maybe take a look at it.

I take no responsibility for the horrible things this may do to your computer, and use at your own risk.

Enjoy!
Post edited by Ravel on

Comments

• TroikaTroika Member Posts: 36
    edited December 2012
    That's cool, but why not just edit the character file to get the stats you want? Saves even more time and is even more convenient. ;)

Nice little program, though. I bet it was fun to code.
  • begolf00begolf00 Member Posts: 152
    @Ravel

Thanks I'll give it a try. Thought about this my self a couple of times. I can't code though. Gets annoying adding up stats in your head.
  • RavelRavel Member Posts: 140
    Troika said:

That's cool, but why not just edit the character file to get the stats you want? Saves even more time and is even more convenient. ;)

Nice little program, though. I bet it was fun to code.

Yeah, it was pretty fun. Even easier than editing the character file in this would have been just editing the memory addresses directly to get the stats you want :P

Like I said though, this isn't for people who want to hit a button and get the stats they want, but those who want to roll their character the old fashioned way, but want a little help to speed things up. I mostly made this for the fighter classes, since having to max your strength every time to see your strength subscore is stupid :P
    Also, for those first few of you who DO decided to take the plunge and download it - I'd love confirmation that it's working.
    edited December 2012
    @Ravel

It works great but the numbers are overlapping strength and stat total. Makes it a bit hard to read. My resolution is set at 1920 x 1080

Both versions do this. Does anyone know how to post a jpeg file from a computer to the forums?

as in the numbers are too close to their text labels?
    edited December 2012
    @Ravel

Yes exactly.

Sorry I was trying to upload a picture of it but I don't know how?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

haha, success. Still a bit hard to see sorry.
    edited December 2012
    Lol, that does suck - I uploaded a new version, this one both more spaced out and with a bit bigger font.

Lemme know if you have the same issue!

http://www.gamefront.com/files/22708665/BGEE+Roll+Monitor+Big.zip

Here's how it looks on mine:
    edited December 2012
    @Ravel

Will test right away.

Update: Awesome works great now. Thank you so much. I hope you keep it updated if a new version (BG:EE) comes out and it breaks it. That of course is up to you. Again thank you very much.
    Also, does anyone know of a file hosting site which allows you to replace older versions of files with new ones?

That way I don't have to worry about spamming too many different download links with each new little fix :)
    @Ravel

Sorry no idea.
  • MurrayConfederacyMurrayConfederacy Member Posts: 188
    edited December 2012
    Wow! I was thinking of this exact tool the other day. I was going see if I could make it myself but you saved me the trouble! Great work @Ravel!

Edit: I have now tried and it works perfectly! Many thanks!
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    @Ravel for the file hosting site check gamefront.com, but Im not 100% sure
    Btw I was wondering if you are aware of being the savior of this community of nerds xD
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    Seems to work, and effective too. I seem to roll a lot of 18/00s.

Using ctrl 8 is cheating outright. Rolling til you get the stats you want might be cheesy, it might take hours, and it might lead to repetetive stress injuries, but its a legitimate hobby.

And don't be too hard on yourself, you really shouldn't call it crappy. If you want to call it buggy, thats fine, but dont put your own work down.
    Updated the OP to include the GameFront profile I created which has all 3 files available to download here: http://www.gamefront.com/files/user/SirDimos

As I get around to updating the files, I'll post them there.
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Really nice tool! Wish I had seen this before rolling haha
    edited December 2012
    @Ravel

Yea def do not call the tool crappy.

Should be renamed monitoring stat tool of greatness:)
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    I played around with it for a little bit but noticed something odd. Works fine on Single Player Campaign, Multi Player Campaign, Tutorial, Multi Player Black Pits, Multi Player pre generate character... but crashes on Single Player Black Pits. Something to do with it having six NPCs ready to go maybe?
    @Ravel

I think the new patch that just came out 20 minutes ago broke your stat tool! After updating it doesn't work for me anymore.

Do you get the same thing?
    Yeah, same here - update borked it. I'm gonna be heading out here for a few hours, so I doubt I'll be able to get a fix up before then.

I've been trying to lock down the new memory addresses in the past 15 mins here..., but it's being tricksy :P
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Call it, "The Most Beloved Tool in All of Baldur's Gate" =3
  • Really liking this. Usually I just Ctrl + 8 to save time, but it bugs me to have 18/00 Strength on a non-fighter (a silly distinction for someone cheating, I know, but still).
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    Looks awesome, thanks!
  • SiddhamSiddham Member Posts: 31
    That's a nifty little utility; well done @Ravel.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Good work. Now I dont have to manual calculate the score on my calculator.
    Just bumping to let everyone know that I've updated it to work with the most recent patch. It's available on http://www.gamefront.com/files/user/SirDimos - listed with the suffix v1_0_2009.
    @Ravel

Thank you Ravel, your work is appreciated.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    Dang it!
    I just started my campaign over for the fourth time, and now this awesome little tool makes me want to roll a new character again... :)
    I suffer from restartitis...

• XendraneXendrane Member Posts: 4
    Nice tool to have. Thank you @Ravel!
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Nice one! How did you do that?