Skip to content

Which class should i play next?

skrissakskrissak Member Posts: 24
I always play fighter/paladin and i wanna try something new. these are the classes i'm interested in
  1. Which class should i play next?99 votes
    1. Archer
      23.23%
    2. Thief
      27.27%
    3. Barbarian
        9.09%
    4. Cleric
      20.20%
    5. Druid
      20.20%

Comments

• WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Elven archer rocks unless you like "challenged" PCs...
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    Since mage/bard wasn't on the list, I would suggest Druid or Thief if you are looking for a different playstyle. Thieves are definitely not as tanky and require a bit more finesse and tactics, but they can also save your skin from traps and are very useful in terms of basic dungeoneering. Druids have healing magic to support your party, get some interesting offensive spells that are geared towards the outdoors, and can shapeshift. I would recommend a kit of the druid rather than the vanilla druid, as they are more specialized towards a specific playstyle (which helps the druid I feel).
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    Swashbuckler! You wont have to give up your melee ways or looking good, and you'll get alot of utility in the process.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Archer was the first character I ever beat BG2/TOB with, and I actually regret it. He was ludicrously powerful, but due to the nature of the class, I basically just had him stand and shoot the whole game. I'd rather choose a PC with a more active and intricate role in combat, which is why I voted Cleric. Would have voted for mage or sorcerer, but you're apparently not interested in arcane casters.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Single Class?

Yeah, Archer.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    A dual or multi class to make it interesting.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    More specifically, Avenger.

It's win.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    I say thief, dualed into cleric once you get some thieving skills to decent levels.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    evil elf fighter/mage :-)
  • butsambutsam Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2012
    Gnome Illusionist/Thief is pretty good...think Illusionist who can hide in shadows then cast a spell then run.

Archer is interesting but OP, especially in BG1, so crank up the difficulty if you do that. I started that way and got bored quickly.

Dual-classed Wizard Slayer/Mage would be awesome just to say you've done it.

Dual-classed (not multi) Cleric/Mage would also be cool; one of the cleric kits gives True Sight spell, plus some cleric spells (if you switch at lvl 5 you would have up to 3rd level cleric spells), more hp than average mage, and you're only about 10,000 xp lower than other mages -- not much in the grand scheme of things, a very small fraction of a level.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    Druid cleric bard or mage if you to get away from hulk smash. Archer is still a fighting subclass.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    butsam said:

Dual-classed Wizard Slayer/Mage would be awesome just to say you've done it.

I did wizard slayer/thief once. Played through the whole of ToB with that thing, and it actually went pretty well. All the anti-magic stuff, I remember, worked great against liches and their short, and if my memory serves me correctly, Use Any Item even let them use magical stuff.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    Play a thief. Assassin. Sneaky stab poison instead of front line slicing and dicing (or bludgeoning). Perforate with the Short Sword of Backstabbing and/or the Dagger of Venom to maximize your cool factor.
  • Thieves are godly. Being able to stealth and scout maps was always fun for me. I remember back in the day when I played, my character and Garrick basically soloed the Firewine Bridge while the rest of the party sat back and waited. That was fun. Difficult, but fun.

Also, high levels plus stealth and backstab and traps are KILLER. In SoA and ToB, I basically soloed maps. Fighter/Thief was my favorite, though. He's unstoppable.

When I get this, I'm probably going to play a mage/thief. I'd do a fighter/mage/thief, but I don't want my experience split three ways.
  • badbromancebadbromance Member Posts: 238
    Maybe try a cleric? They can be similar to a fighter type and some spells to buff them up. But I find the support aspect of the spell list appealing.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    durid. I agree with the Avenger-lovers, that's a fun kit. But, any kind of Druid is fun.
    If you get stuck, decide with this: http://decider.skizzers.org/ !
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    Archers and Barbarians aren't that far off from Fighters and Paladins that you use. So I'd suggest going for something different.

The thief is a pretty interesting character to use, you can handily solo through the game with one. A Swashbuckler is pretty much the closest a thief gets to a Fighter or specifically the Kensai. You get all the benefits of a thief except that they aren't suited to stealth gameplay at all because it has no backstab multiplier. If you want to hide in the shadows and backstab then go for the Assassin, but they don't have many thief abilities to spend and therefore not a very good thief for opening or disarming, since they should be focusing on hide in shadows. A Bounty Hunter is incredibly interesting but laying traps is a very niche way of playing, they also don't have much to spend on thief abilities.

As for the Druid and Cleric, look back to when you played a Paladin. If you used its' divine spells and enjoyed them then you'll like either the Druid of Cleric. The Cleric kits are fairly similar to each other aside from some bonus spells, besides they are probably a tad too similar to your standard Paladin. The Druid on the other hand is your offensive Divine caster with a mix of healing spells, so you are getting a real mix of spells. I'd always chose a Druid kit because they are vastly superior to the standard Druid. Totemic Druids used to be a sound choice but their summons were scaled back in EE. Shapeshifters are pretty limited since they are at their strongest as a werewolf but they are prevented from using spells whilst in this form. They are by far the most challenging kit to play but that could be fun. Avengers are probably the best Druid Kit, you get superior shapeshift forms and 6 fairly useful mage spells to expand damaging options.

So I advise either the Swashbuckler or Avenger. If you want a straight forward fighter with thief abilities then go Swashbuckler. Or if you want a spellcaster that can heal and damage then go Avenger.

One recommendation I'd advise is the Half-Elf Ranger/Cleric multiclass. I'm not sure if it has changed in EE but the Ranger/Cleric gives you the strength of a Ranger but you get access to Cleric spells, and every druid spell possible for you level. So it is the only class which has every divine spell open to you. The only catch is that you must never go below 8 reputation and you have a limited selection of weapons to chose from (only warhammers, mace, flails or slings. Quarterstaves if you dual class) . This is a really unique and often ignored class. You'd just need confirmation that it hasn't changed in EE.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    I'm playing an Elven Stalker :)

18/00 str
    19 dex
    backstab

pretty efficient, only downside is terrible AC due to no metal armors
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Thief be it Swashbuckler or Assassin.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Archer is quite powerful.. But other than the fact that you always hang out in the back instead of rushing into melee range, the gameplay isn't much different... You could always start as a Fighter then dual-class into a thief at level 3, which would give you mostly a thief experience but improve your melee power.
  • AaezilAaezil Member Posts: 178
    If you already beat the game once then play a challenging class so its not a bore. Or play with a small/underpowered party and play slow/tactical.

People who are posting min/max/powergame builds just kinda suck the life out of the game IMHO.
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    Ok, the Ranger/Cleric does have access to all Divine magic (both Cleric and Druid spells). So I'd recommend playing as a Half-Elf Ranger/Cleric. That way you get the best of both the Cleric and the Druidt with the added power of the Ranger. That knocks out at least two of your poll options in one go.

The Ranger/Cleric is pretty much a Paladin that is a master of all Divine magics. Equip him with a Warhammer, Mace or Flail with a long range option of a Sling. Although why bother with a Sling when you have the full range of Divine magics at your disposal?
  • ShadowWolfShadowWolf Member Posts: 33
    im playing a elven multiclass fighter/thief pretty good although the damage is kinda low
  • MalbortusMalbortus Member Posts: 106
    Madhax said:

Archer (snip) was ludicrously powerful, but due to the nature of the class, I basically just had him stand and shoot the whole game.

That brings my Jester back to mind. He'd go invisible, start singing, and then just wander around, disabling all enemies who were then dispatched by the party. He never lifted a finger off his lute.
  • VilelatedVilelated Member Posts: 10
    Sorry, but full blown mage is awesome and offer the most challenge in the begining of the game. It is the ultimate be prepared class.
  • GloktaGlokta Member Posts: 97
    Voted barbarian mostly just because thats what i am currently considering for my next go tbh, tho im not sure yet either - so many choices.. :p
  • KougaKouga Member Posts: 83
    Do whatever interested you the most. Try to challange yourself! If you go for a min/max build, set the game on max diffeculty so the mobs atleast hit you for twice as much damage. (:
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    If you really want to get away from fighter-types then roll a Cleric/Mage or Cleric/Illusionist. This way you're pretty damn squishy but have access to just about every spell in the game, druids be damned.

Your play style will have to adjust a lot but your spellbook(s) will be huge, especially if you max out your wisdom. They're the ultimate support caster, and can buff, debuff, disable, heal, summon and/or deal damage in the same combat.
  • PoputtPoputt Member Posts: 30
    I'd recommend Thief. You're going to want something different this time. Barbarian will be the exact same experience only a bit easier, and the archer is basically a fighter who only has to worry about mages or TPWs. Both will feel super-OP to you, and I'd only recommend them if you're going the evil route. Cleric will feel OP as well, because they're basically paladins excepting that they beat mothers with clubs and buff a lot more (also, they suck in BG2). The thief will feel strange to you, but it's a fun class and it'll enable you to split your party or solo without a huge amount of added danger. And you still get to stab shit. Honestly, though, you should try a mage at some point. They aren't much in the first game, but by Throne of Bhaal they're total hardasses. Which is a nice reward for starting with 4hp maximum.