Skip to content

(Forum Bug) Quartz appearing as a women...

AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
Just noticed this bug on the forum.

@Quartz is appearing as a feminine women... This is just plain wrong.

Correct appearance should be, kickass half-Orc that inspired the Dorn look.

This should be corrected asap.

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    rofl
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    This is why I never associate an avatar with characters I haven't had a chance to get to know yet.
    edited December 2012
    Anduin said:

Take that girdle off now Quartzina! I can understand a few hours 'trying it on' because you we're curious. BUT IT IS NOT HEALTHY!

NO!! I'M KEEPING MY BOOBS!

This is why I never associate an avatar with characters I haven't had a chance to get to know yet.

Well you're quite gifted then. Most people started associating me with Dorn subconsciously ... it wasn't a conscious effort, lol.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • darthchairdarthchair Member Posts: 191
    Shouldn't female Quartz look more like a female half orc than Black Widow? Hrm...
    Quartz said:

Well you're quite gifted then. Most people started associating me with Dorn subconsciously ... it wasn't a conscious effort, lol.
    I meant I never pick an avatar for something that I don't know if I really like it or not yet.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    @Quartz ina, look. We need the old Quartz back... In fact... Are you Quartz! How will we ever truly know!

@lordkim Errm. I like the magic eye photo of Quartz, but I clearly saw an erect, errm , sword and a pair of swinging, errm, morning stars for a moment there... Think I need to take my own belt of gender bending off now...
    edited December 2012

Quartz said:

I meant I never pick an avatar for something that I don't know if I really like it or not yet.
    Ahh I understand now! You make a good point. Well, it's been a learning experience. Hopefully my Wisdom score went up one from this, or something... Tch. His page on this website seemed so promising. I still think he's sexy and handsome regardless though.

That said, only real reason I don't like Dorn so much (And I talked with Shandyr about this in another thread) is because he is just evil for the sake of being evil. Even Jon Irenicus has more understandable motives than Dorn, and that's saying something... If I want a character who's evil for the sake of being evil, it's going to be my PC, thanks. He's also very naive, distrusting the entire world for the actions of a few; so much for his supposed 15 Wisdom.

-----

My favorite NPC in the series is Xzar, but just about 20 other people on this forum have Xzar as their avatar. God only knows how I actually got my hands on Dorn before anyone else, seriously...

Fun fact: I have the same skin tone, eye color, and hair color as Xzar. Also when I grow my hair out it looks terrible like his. I would love to cosplay him but I'm quite certain no one at any convention would even know who I was.

Shouldn't female Quartz look more like a female half orc than Black Widow? Hrm...

Haha! I think it's pretty clear I just like to have attractive avatars. Dorn is handsome, Black Widow is sexy.

I kind of wanted to pick another BG character but I knew people would be even more freaked out by the change if I did that, so...
    Dorn is typical evil. He believes power solves everything, and displaying emotion is weak. I think it's perfectly fine.

Thing is, every single solitary last character in BG1 is a fantasy cliche. We've got the amazon-who-hates-men, we've got the crazy wizard, we've got the manipulative wizard, we've got the femme fatale, we've got the happy-go-lucky best friend, we've got the semi-retarded lovable meathead, we've got the greedy dwarf, we've got the goodly dwarf, we've got the hapless clutsy halfling thief, we've got....

You get my point.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    edited December 2012
    BG1 is heavily stereotyped. Come to think of it, most of fantasy is highly archetypal. Good and evil are clearly defined in terms of motives and costume colours. It's black and white with no shades of grey. Most females are not portrayed favourably in fantasy...either they are femme fatales with a tragic past or scream queens with a tragic present.

A notable exception to this is George R. R. Martin's work...which really portrays males and females as equally strong.

Wow, I think I set a record for most off-topic response in the off-topic forum. Let me just say this: I think Quartz pulls off the black-and-white-chick look.
    Silence said:

Wow, I think I set a record for most off-topic response in the off-topic forum. Let me just say this: I think Quartz pulls off the black-and-white-chick look.

Stop... The guy is a Half-Orc male wearing a belt of gender bending... AND YOU ARE FLIRTING ! ! !

Silence said:

It's black and white with no shades of grey.

50 Shades of Grey

Okay but seriously, Viconia, Anomen, and even Sarevok (ToB) fit your "shade of grey" ticket, but other than that (and possibly a couple others I'm forgetting) you are completely correct.
    Silence said:

Let me just say this: I think Quartz pulls off the black-and-white-chick look.

Yaaaaay approval from someone!!

Dorn is typical evil. He believes power solves everything, and displaying emotion is weak. I think it's perfectly fine.

Thing is, every single solitary last character in BG1 is a fantasy cliche. We've got the amazon-who-hates-men, we've got the crazy wizard, we've got the manipulative wizard, we've got the femme fatale, we've got the happy-go-lucky best friend, we've got the semi-retarded lovable meathead, we've got the greedy dwarf, we've got the goodly dwarf, we've got the hapless clutsy halfling thief, we've got....

You get my point.

You are quite right, he's fine where he is. I agree he fits Baldur's Gate very well. I just expected him to be something more from his page on baldursgate.com ... my first impression: This guy is going to be deeper than most Baldur's Gate characters. I wasn't expecting a Viconia or anything, but I was certainly expecting more than what we've gotten.

Which goes right back to what you were saying: "This is why I never associate an avatar with characters I haven't had a chance to get to know yet." A wise choice on your part. I had too high of hopes. Still, I certainly don't regret going around as Dorn on here ... I enjoyed it greatly. It spawned countless hilarious jokes, so :)

I think another reason he gets on my nerves is because one of my good friends whom I used to role-play with a lot would always have characters very, very similar in personality to Dorn. Said character usually spawned a lot of unnecessary drama and distrust. That said, my friend obviously did a good job roleplaying these characters since they legitimately pissed me off, of course.
    ... I think we need to call in the shrinks ...

*gasps at sudden moment of clarity*

... But who for...