Skip to content

Chance to learn spell

Sheesh, it always seems lower than showed on screen, I mean poor Edwin just failed twice in a row with apparently 98% chance from 22 INT...

Comments

• bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    there is the reload button and the option to temporarily lower the difficulty to guarantee spell memorization.
  • AdhinAdhin Member Posts: 3
    I never understood chance to write stuff on paper, the whole mechanics confused the crap out of me from day 1. I mean your just making a copy of the spell so you can memorize it later. I guess I can understand a failure but whys the scroll used up? Your not casting it into your book are you?

I just think the concepts bad, but then that's why a lot of rules get ignored or have an alternate less insane variation in 2E. I'd just set it to normal if you got 98% chance so it doesn't screw up. I mean that's the only real difference between Normal diff and Core, it removes a lot of the awkward 'ha ha gotcha!' rules that rarely make sense. Ehh guess it also lowers monster dmg... wish the gotcha rules where in another option, meh.

Anyway its stupid, like a lot of 2E.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    I think the scroll itself is magical. And is consumed because to transfer the knowledge itself onto the spellbook. It isnt just ink and paper as far as I have gathered.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    @RedWizard I believe the chance of scribing a scroll is reduced by 10% for each spell level beyond the mage's current level of comprehension. So, if you were trying to scribe Cloudkill but were only able to cast level three spells, you'd be operating with a -20% penalty.

@Adhin Never played pnp D&D myself, but I'm pretty sure the nature of magical scrolls, and the magical language itself, is that once read, the words fade out immediately. That's why scrolls are single-use, and why mages need to re-memorize spells each day. The process of adding a spell to one's spell book (And don't ask me how spell books work in a D&D world, I have no idea) involves a process with no room for error. I imagine that the scroll is disappearing in the mage's hand while they're trying to commit it to memory, and if they make any mistake, they've wasted the scroll.

I may be completely off-base, though.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Yeah, for me Neera fails to copy spells into her spellbook far too often.
  • NazadNazad Member Posts: 55
    Drink a potion of genius to increase Edwin's Int. That should solve the problem unless of course you want to adjust the difficulty every time (tedious). This edition of D&D has a vancian magic system in which bard, cleric, druid, and wizard spells are prepared and 'erased' through usage. Once used, the magical energy is gone and the spellcaster can't recharge their mana or magicka. Sorcerers get a bit more flexibility but are still limited by spell slots, which are a second limitation on magical energy.
  • RedWizardRedWizard Member Posts: 242
    Oh but I did drink the potion of genius, that's how Edwin was able to achieve 22 INT. But apparently 98% is not enough. Yay for now having to wait until I enter BG to get another copy of a spell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Shandyr said:

The potion of genius stacks with itself!

You should use it until you have at least int 24!

Preposterous!And to think I never knew... I... I shall finally be spared that annoying noise of failure!
  • NazadNazad Member Posts: 55
    Yes, getting drunk on potions of genius is my wizarding method too.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TeahlTeahl Member Posts: 26
    Neera has learned her max amount of spells in first level already. So it's still possible; at least in my game anyway!
    edited December 2012
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    This topic ties into the general idea that the randomization tables of the BG are skewed low.

The same thing applies to to hit rolls and to save rolls, in practice.

BG fans almost universally decry the implementation of the INT stat for mages. An 18-20 INT stat gives you a scribe-scroll failure rate far, far higher than the probability percentages would imply.

Many if not most people ignore the INT stat for mages, and simply move the difficulty slider down to "normal" for spell-scribing. You might want to play it on core rules for scrolls which abound, but there are certain once-in-a-game scrolls (Cloudkill, Fireball, Web, and a few others) that you cannot afford to destroy.

Even a potion-enhanced INT on core rules will have you failing to scribe scrolls far, far more often than you would think. As in, a 99% chance of success still makes you fail as much as half the time with a once-in-game scroll.

This is a well-known and often groused-about complaint about the mages and INT. The INT stat winds up being irrelevant for mages, unless you really want to play dice with game-changing scrolls.

"God does not play dice with the Universe." - Albert Einstein.

Actually, Al, He totally does. And the dice are stacked against human life.
    edited December 2012
    So, can you actually buy infinite potions of genius once you reach BG?
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @RedWizard Sorcerous Sundries only has a limited supply of them along with Potions of Mind Focusing. I tend to wait until I've gathered several scrolls so I can scribe them all at once while under the influence of an INT-raising potion.
    edited December 2012
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited December 2012
    @Shandyr, hmm, INT 24 is a guarantee? And how much does a PoINT give? What INT would you need to get a guarantee from a PoINT?

EDIT: Oh, I see that you say that the PoINT stacks. Which might be a thing, although, PoINTs are very hard to come by in BG1, and, so are certain vital scrolls. (Haste, Fireball, Web, Cloudkill).
  • TeahlTeahl Member Posts: 26
    Shandyr said:

Teahl said:

Neera has learned her max amount of spells in first level already. So it's still possible; at least in my game anyway!

Are you talking about the amount of spells that you copy into your spellbook per level.
    Or the amount of spells you can memorize per level?

I'm speaking of the first case.
    Neera has intelligence 17 which means she can copy 14 spells per level into her spellbook.
    But when you drink the potion of genius, while the potion is active you can copy even more spells per level into her book.

Which is why for example my Neera has 15 level 1 spells at the moment copied into her spellbook.
    Yes I'm talking about copying into the spellbook. But I have yet to try the potion, so I guess I can still get around that limitation. :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    So I'm not the only one? Thank God!
  • VilelatedVilelated Member Posts: 10
    98% isn't 100%... Lol you just got lucky and rolled in the 2 percentile... :p
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    edited December 2012
    The chances of rolling that 2% twice is 0.04% or once in every 2 500 tries (edit, thanks Cheesebelly).
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Well, I imagine it to be like this :
    Edwin : "Careful now... Ess... pee... ee.... el... el... en.... a... em... ee... "
    Imoen : "HEYA IT'S ME IMOEN!!!!"
    Edwin : *cracks his quill* "DAMN IT!! D: "

@Bercon : shouldn't that be 2500 tries? :o
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Shandyr said:

@belgarathmth

According to the manual int 24 is 100% guarantee of copying spell.

I have not yet failed copying it when I had int 24 through those potions.

And I think this justifies the very existience of that potion by the way, because yes
    even if you have a natural non-enhanced chance of 85% of succeeding you fail far more often than you would have expected.

I think even with 100% there is a 1% chance of getting a critical failure, though I might be wrong
  • ST4TICStrikerST4TICStriker Member Posts: 162
    Adhin said:

I never understood chance to write stuff on paper, the whole mechanics confused the crap out of me from day 1. I mean your just making a copy of the spell so you can memorize it later. I guess I can understand a failure but whys the scroll used up? Your not casting it into your book are you?

I just think the concepts bad, but then that's why a lot of rules get ignored or have an alternate less insane variation in 2E. I'd just set it to normal if you got 98% chance so it doesn't screw up. I mean that's the only real difference between Normal diff and Core, it removes a lot of the awkward 'ha ha gotcha!' rules that rarely make sense. Ehh guess it also lowers monster dmg... wish the gotcha rules where in another option, meh.

Anyway its stupid, like a lot of 2E.

There is some very good reason for that

Every Wizard has their own version of magic writing. The chance to copy represents you decrypting the spell then making a perfect copy in your own language.

The reason it's used up is because you have to use magical ink (Which you're meant to buy) and in the process of copying the magic within the scroll is used up.

If you're copying spells from another mage's spell-book then when you fail the spell ISN'T destroyed.
    but due to the temporary nature of scrolls a failed attempt destroys it. It's the catch 22 of a spell scroll really, they allow you to cast a spell you normally wouldn't be able to without having to memorize it but if you ever read them or attempt to copy them they're destroyed.