Skip to content

Am I the only one that thinks both Quayle and Faldorn are severely underrated?

2»

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited December 2012
    Chow said:

What about Coran? He can get the same amount of pips, levels up slightly lover, but has much higher dexterity. Same racial bonuses, too.

Coran has the best THAC0 with a Bow out of anyone, yes. This is offset by the fact that his melee ability is pretty piss-poor.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Quartz said:

This is offset by the fact that his melee ability is pretty piss-poor.

Well, yes, from up front in a fair fight. Which he won't ever do because he is a thief.

His lower strength really only gives him -1 to attack and -3 to damage. A backstab with a longsword (which he's the most proficient with) adds +4 to attack and +1d8 damage, or +2d8 on the last couple levels. It gives him a pretty good opening in fight.

Why would you use Coran in melee, anyway?
    Chow said:

Quartz said:

This is offset by the fact that his melee ability is pretty piss-poor.

Well, yes, from up front in a fair fight. Which he won't ever do because he is a thief.

His lower strength really only gives him -1 to attack and -3 to damage. A backstab with a longsword (which he's the most proficient with) adds +4 to attack and +1d8 damage, or +2d8 on the last couple levels. It gives him a pretty good opening in fight.

Why would you use Coran in melee, anyway?
    IDK, maybe because something has enough HP to manage to get in his face before he shoots it completely full of arrows?

I'm not trying to be a naysayer, @Chow. Coran is bloody awesome. I'm just pointing out that he is balanced in that his melee is crap. True he can backstab decently, Monty's much better for that sort of thing though. People like to compare Coran and Kivan and I think that's stupid. They serve different roles. I like to compare Coran and Monty. Monty is a versatile fighter/thief, good at the up close and personal while still being pretty decent with ranged weaponry. Coran is your ranged fighter/thief, absolutely beast with a bow, kinda bad with melee. As you say his only real purpose in melee is to backstab, which he does okay at.
    Fair enough. I'm not saying you're a naysayer, either: I just saw an opportunity for discussion.

I guess if you wanted backstabs, you'd rather take Montaron than Coran, but now you have three characters filled: Kivan, Coran, and Montaron. You'll probably only need two of those. It all depends on whether you'd like two mighty archers, or a bit more melee capabilities, and in either case you'll have some backstabs when you need that stuff.
    edited December 2012
    oh man

Kivan Coran and Monty?

With some form of Mage and/or Cleric backup, unstoppable lol. That sounds awesome.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,195
    Quartz said:

(and talking kits, I think he'd actually make a better stalker, since he's out "stalking" bandits)

Agreed entirely, this is why I'm glad they didn't add kits to the old NPCs. He is definitely a Stalker. NPC Archers don't run around with 18/12 Strength, I'm sorry.

Well that's the beauty of modding. Everyone can have their own way. For me, Kivan is definitely an archer. Every playtrough.
    edited December 2012
    Take the percentiles and one more point from strength to bring it to 17, then add those points to dexterity to make it 19. You now have an archer.

If you're already Shadowkeeping him a kit, might as well.

Besides, even if he were stalker, what, he'd backstab with that halberd of his? That wouldn't really work either.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    I gave Coran Ogre Gauntlets. That alone pretty much made him a melee god as well; with the new Belt, he's even better. Not a tank, but put the claw on him and then just cackle a bit at his absurd awesomeness.