Skip to content

Solo Sorcerer vs Drizzt Melee Fight on Insane

SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
My sorcerer always lurks on this forum (yeah he has a lot of free time, lucky him...) and in those days he came across a million threads about a tanned guy wielding 2 scimitars.

Things like:

"To kill him I had to create a barricade of 5 invisible chars so he couldn't move while I shot arrows from far"
"I had to kite him to death with Coran wearing Boots of Cheat *emh* Cheetah!"
"So I used "backstab -> pot of invisibility" in loop 'till was dead! Myahahahah!"

At that point he was so pissed off that he decided to wake me up in the middle of the night and forced me to log in.
When I told him that at lvl8 it was a suicide he replied "Bitch please."

Some notes:
- Im using the boots of cheese just because in that moment I was tired of spamming Haste spell :p
- The robe+belt I'm using are just to reach the max possible AC vs slashing weapons
- Drizzt's chain mail gives a malus of -2 to AC vs blunting. As you can see, even if I wasn't lucky with the rolls, I could reach +12 to hit. Also, with 25 STR, the damage would have been pretty good, I assure you ;)
- At the moment Drizzt has a HELM15.itm instead a NO-animation one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIZ_Z1uVNIs
Post edited by SpaceInvader on

Comments

• AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Is it really melee if you don't hit him?

Nicely done!
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    edited December 2012
    Of all the time I tried (3), this is actually the only I couldn't hit him because l never rolled a good number :(
    Btw, it is! since I never run away :p
    Removed the download link and put a YouTube one instead :p
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Nice technique! You deserve congratulations!
  • IcallhimlecobraIcallhimlecobra Member Posts: 59
    whats with the UI why is it so tiny?
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Excellent.
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    While you were buffing and quaffing potions next to him all I could think was if Drizzt is at all suspicious of this stranger getting drunk on magical potions next to him :D
    @Icallhimlecobra Its because of the 1920x1080 resolution + this trick to upscale: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10014/big-screen-beta
    @Torin haha yeah, could have done it a bit more in disguise, it's been a lot since I played Hitman :(
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    What an irony - sorcerers can kill him, but can't use his stuff...
    You know what's really funny? That after a certain lvl, the strongest class of the game can go around without equip.
    I could have beat him without wearing anything, tbh.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    I didn't even talk to Drizzt the first time then I went back and he's gone :(

• sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    ITT: My cheesy strategy is better than yours!
    ITT: Haters gonna hate!
  • RandallRandall Member Posts: 4
    Wow! Nice tactic!
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    This is no cheese - this is absolutely 100% legitimate. If that idiot Drizzt decided to bash on a fire shielded mage until he incinerates himself, it's his own gosh darn fault!

Excellent job @SpaceInvader : very creative and awesome :D
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Very nice and legitimate tactic. Fireshield ignores magic resistance so is very effective against the drow. Umm, wasn't one of his scimitars supposed to confer him fire resistance? I've never looted his stuff so I don't know. Then again, you could opt for Fire Shield:Blue but that would be risky as cold damage may shatter his items and all...
  • VukiVuki Member Posts: 36
    edited December 2012
    Very nice strategy, congratulation!

I will try to kill him with my solo assassin. I do not know if he is immune to poison or not but I if he is not immune then I can have a chance. I mean without using some cheesy tactics.
    Vuki said:

Very nice strategy, congratulation!

I will try to kill him with my solo assassin. I do not know if he is immune to poison or not but I if he is not immune then I can have a chance. I mean without using some cheesy tactics.

He is not :) Good luck!
  • ShrimpShrimp Member Posts: 142
    edited December 2012
    So, the potions you used were:

- violet potion, 25 strength? Where did you get that?
    - potion of agility? Didn't you have 19 dex already, what was the point? (edit: nvm, didn't notice the violet potion gave you 3 dex)
    - potion of fortitude, did you get anything out of that 18 con?
    - potion of defense, I can understand that one
    - what was the one you used from your belt after the fire shield?

Also, insane stats, you must have rerolled quite a bit.
    edited December 2012
    @Shrimp
    You can get the Violet Potion in one of the Nashkel Carnival's tent, it gives 25 STR but low DEX and CON to 3 (you can also read it by pausing the video :p)
    That's why I used the other 2 potions.
    The last one was a potion of regeneration (Not really needed, but it was my first attempt)
    Yeah, I had 97 points in stats, I do not roll many chars... But when I do, it is for hours xD
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    Not bad lol

But it's "too" easy with BG2 spells.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    During that entire video I couldn't concentrate because there was a piles of gold on the gnoll corpses and I was like "pick it up" "pick it up" "pick it up" the entire time.

• darkkhainedarkkhaine Member Posts: 15
    I wonder why you use potions at all because the only useful spells are stoneskin fireshield and mirror image. Really, you don't need anything else. I used on my game the two fireshield (blue and red), and Drizzt goes down quite fast.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    nice video here. I havent used a fireshield in ages and it's nice to see it's still useful.
    edited December 2012
    @darkkhaine I already said it :)

As you can see, even if I wasn't lucky with the rolls, I could reach +12 to hit. Also, with 25 STR, the damage would have been pretty good

Of all the time I tried (3), this is actually the only I couldn't hit him because l never rolled a good number

I could have beat him without wearing anything, tbh.

Anyway, you can't have both the fire shields with a sorcerer unless you remove the exp cap.
    As you can't reach lvl5 spells (unlike mages), else I would have used Sunfire to bypass his magic resistance.
  • MythdraconMythdracon Member Posts: 187
    So, it was hard to make out the potions and items in the video...could you detail the strategy in full? How did you get AC to -10 on a sorceror?
    edited February 2016
    @Mythdracon
    As regards the potions of fortitude and agility, you can find 3/4 of them before cloakwood mines (I remember 1 fortitude at Bandit Camp and some agility at beginning of Durlag's Tower).
    For the potion of defense, I tend to store them for important fights. Normally I simply use Shield spell.
    The violet potion, as I said, can be found in one of the tent at the Carnival (there is only 1 in the game).
    The staff+3 can be bought at Ulgoth's Beard and the golden girdle that gives +3 AC vs Slashing in the basilisks zone (north of Gullikin).
    What you will only find late in the game are the ring of protection+2 and balduran's cloak.

AC:
    Base 0 with a Potion of Defense
    -4 DEX
    -2 Ring of Protection
    -1 Cloak of Balduran
    -3 Blur spell

(-10 till here)

-3 vs slashing for the Golden Girdle
    -1 vs slashing for the Knave's Robe

Total: -14 AC vs Drizzt with a Sorcerer

EDIT: I could have reached -18 AC with a scroll of Improved Invisibility, I always forget that they fixed it... :/
  • PalatinusPalatinus Member Posts: 55
    What spells have you selected for your sorcerer?
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    Another great strategy against most strong enemies. Use a wand of paralisation. If it sticks they are as good as dead.
  • abbadabaabbadaba Member Posts: 21
    edited December 2012
    Very impressive. I have never beaten him in a 1 on 1 fight, i usually play a melee character.

My cheesy method is extremely simple very reliable and can be done by any level 1 character with about 20gp.

Position two NPCs across the narrow path to the little island north of his location. Stand right next to them and remove them from your party, use NPCs that stay put when dismissed, they will act as a barricade. Go shoot an arrow/bullet at Drizzt, lead him to the barricade, you will be able to squeak through and he will not. Plink at him until he dies (bring lots of arrows/bullets). It will be much faster if you have 4 shooters.