Skip to content

The Walking Dead game won Game of the Year

DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
edited December 2012 in Off-Topic
I know this is off topic but people really need to see this:

We are witnessing the rise of one of the most popular entertainment franchises in history folks.

Yes, that's correct.

The Walking Dead is by far the best comic book on the shelves today, blowing away anything Marvel and DC puts out. It is the best television show on air right now, and now the game which came out for the Xbox Live Arcade won, and deservedly I might add, Game of the Year.

Hold onto your issues folks, they will continue to rise in value!
Post edited by Daelric on

Comments

• ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Please move to Off Topic :P
  • DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
    Booooo @Elendar

There's more to the world than BG
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    LIES!
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    Never watched an epidsode or read a page. Guess I'm a heathen...
    @Wiggles
    Missing out bigtime!
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Never heard of it.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Argh I'm almost starting to dislike the whole franchise, despite never having played/read/watched it, just because people talk about it so much. I remember when the show started getting popular, I had this conversation over and over with pretty much all my friends:

Friend: "Hey have you watched the Walking Dea-"
    Me: "No, but I'm sure it's great."
    @TJ_Hooker You dislike the franchise because other people like it and it insanely popular?
    Forum police "Our rules, are very strict..."
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    @TJ_Hooker
    you should leave this forum, many people like baldursgate here, you may start to dislike it. ; )
    @CoM_Solaufein

Btw, it frightens me for some reason that you were a beta tester and you never heard of The Walking Dead? Are you involved in the whole television/internet/gaming thing?
    I don't watch much tv unless its football or the History Channel.
    Pawnstars and American Pickers ;)
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited December 2012
    Daelric said:

@TJ_Hooker You dislike the franchise because other people like it and it insanely popular?

I think you missed the word "almost" in what I said. I wasn't being totally serious either. In all likelihood I'll end up watching it at some point or another. I'm not really a comic book guy though.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    Haven't played the game and I don't know much about the larger world of comics (although the TWD comic is fine by my reckoning), but any praise to the show needs a big ol asterisk next to it. Because it was awful for two seasons and it is currently about par with most TV.
    Haha :)
    Daelric said:

Pawnstars and American Pickers ;)

• CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    If someone never has played the Walking Dead, then they cannot judge it. I'll just say - it's one of the only game where 100% of the characters have a deep story.

Personally? The game was much better than the TV show in every single way. I don't know about the comics though.

Conclusion : I am super happy it won GOTY, completely right. Telltale games did a great job all around here. Maybe the game engine could have been better as an ancient relic has been used, but it's still great overall.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I kinda find zombies boring...

And now over-saturated too.

If someone never has played the Walking Dead, then they cannot judge it. I'll just say - it's one of the only game where 100% of the characters have a deep story.

Personally? The game was much better than the TV show in every single way. I don't know about the comics though.

Conclusion : I am super happy it won GOTY, completely right. Telltale games did a great job all around here. Maybe the game engine could have been better as an ancient relic has been used, but it's still great overall.

I am really looking forward to playing it, on my xmas list. The comics are okay, but the characters are as one dimensional as they are in the show.
  • SeranSeran Member Posts: 28
    The show's great. The game's on an whole other level of awesomeness. It deserves the award even with the competition it had this year.
    @Seran What was it up against?
    Journey, Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed III and Dishonored. For Walking Dead and Journey (both downloadable games) it's a pretty big achievement to butt heads against those giants.
    Cool, I'm actually surprised it beat Journey, I've heard good things about that one.
    @State_Lemming You should definitely get Journey if you have a PS3. The only downside being it's short and has little replay value. I almost wish I could wipe my memory just to experience it all over again :p Both games are now sold on-disc as well since they were so popular.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    edited December 2012
    ajwz said:

I kinda find zombies boring...

And now over-saturated too.

So true.

I mean, there are more interesting monsters than zombies.

Also, didn't play The Walking Dead as a game, didn't see the series on TV and didn't read the comics. And honestly couldn't care less. I'm just glad Mass Effect 3 didn't win, because that game's just a big pile of EA garbage.
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud I think you mean "pile of Bioware garbage."

While I don't think garbage-ly of ME, all of the games in the series have considerable flaws, so I would never put them in a GOTY category.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629

@Kitteh_On_A_Cloud I think you mean "pile of Bioware garbage."

While I don't think garbage-ly of ME, all of the games in the series have considerable flaws, so I would never put them in a GOTY category.

No. II said 'EA garbage' because it's mainly EA's fault for making Bioware go downhill. All of the games produced after Dragon Age: Origins (the period in which Bioware bought out to EA) show considerable flaws and questionable desicions in overall direction. That's why. :p
  • LordOfLostSocksLordOfLostSocks Member Posts: 23
    I stopped watching the show in like episode 3 or 4 whe the triangle drama in the camp went on for two episodes. Killed my interest.
  • Ronin13Ronin13 Member Posts: 53
    I read oh, I don't know... 90 or so issues of the comic. Some of it was intriguing but it seemed to lose focus the longer it went on. That made sense to me when I read that the writer didn't have an end in mind, but just wanted to see how long he could keep it going. I know that many believe "The Journey is more important than the destination." But I respectfully disagree. It doesn't matter if your dream-trip to Disneyworld is everything you hoped it would be and more if your flight crashes on the way home. :P

The first season of the show TWD, was excellent, but the majority of that was due to Frank Darabont, who got booted for silly political reasons. After that the show went directionless as well.

I haven't played the game yet, but my wife, who's a director on Family Guy, has some friends who have worked on the game so I know something about it. It looks good, I'm glad they got GOTY and I hope it shows the Big Borg AAA companies that money can be made without turning everything into bland FPS's.
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud

The Walking Dead isn't about zombies. If you read any of the books or watched the show its about the human interaction during and extreme circumstance. That is the whole point to it. Zombies are just a backstory in that world, which is why its an ingenious idea Kirkman created... and also would explain why its so popular.