Skip to content

The Walking Dead game won Game of the Year

Comments

• MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited December 2012
    I watched the first season, although I enjoyed it I wasn't particularly impressed. It felt lacking depth. It was as if someone had taken 28 days later and spread it thin over a longer period, and then thrown in a cowboy on a horse in the middle of the zombie infested city because they thought it would look cool.
    Post edited by Moomintroll on
  • DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
    Different strokes for different folks.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @Daelric: Well, my boyfriend's told me about the game. He also thought the story and characterization were done very well. It's just that I think that, even with the zombies being pushed more into the background, I still think the whole concept of 'apocalyptic city/island/forest filled with zombies' is overused by now.
    Indeed, zombies and vampires and very cliche these days.
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    At the risk of being controversial I really don't like the program on TV.

For several reasons:-

1) I am suffering from Undead Fad Fatigue. Seriously give the Vampire, Zombie, and Werewolf bullshit a rest Television!
    2) The writing and dialogue isn't as awesome as people think it is. Seriously, it is probably as cliched as they come, the main plot of the series certainly is.
    3) I think they have written themselves into a corner where the main plot is concerned (given that everyone is ALREADY infected with the zombie virus), that unless they decide to let everyone die and go zombie will require the pulling out of a magical macguffin at the 11th hour of the series. After stretching everything out as long as possible of course. In order to make a resolution.

Now these problems also apply to the comics and the game.

I can't speak for the comics too much as I am not too familiar with them, but the games are different because even though it has the cliche'dest of cliche plot lines they are saved by good dialogue, and awesome characterisation of the games PC and NPCs.

With that in mind, and with the fact that no other game really comes as close to being as good as The Walking Dead, I am glad that they won it (in most places).
    When it's closest competition was apparently Mass Effect 3 (which in no way deserves GotY!) it makes me even more glad that The Walking Dead won in most places.
  • thedemoninsidethedemoninside Member Posts: 188
    I think it's the best show on TV. I also hate television unless it's Family Guy or American Dad. Never read the comics or played the game, but now I want to play the game.

Also yes it is definitely more about the people than the zombies. It is also interesting to watch how people are still more dangerous to other people than the zombies are. There's quite a few instances in the show already where they betray each other, and treat other groups of survivors as more of a threat than a godsend.

At the risk of being controversial I really don't like the program on TV.

For several reasons:-

1) I am suffering from Undead Fad Fatigue. Seriously give the Vampire, Zombie, and Werewolf bullshit a rest Television!
    2) The writing and dialogue isn't as awesome as people think it is. Seriously, it is probably as cliched as they come, the main plot of the series certainly is.
    3) I think they have written themselves into a corner where the main plot is concerned (given that everyone is ALREADY infected with the zombie virus), that unless they decide to let everyone die and go zombie will require the pulling out of a magical macguffin at the 11th hour of the series. After stretching everything out as long as possible of course. In order to make a resolution.

Now these problems also apply to the comics and the game.

I can't speak for the comics too much as I am not too familiar with them, but the games are different because even though it has the cliche'dest of cliche plot lines they are saved by good dialogue, and awesome characterisation of the games PC and NPCs.

With that in mind, and with the fact that no other game really comes as close to being as good as The Walking Dead, I am glad that they won it (in most places).
    When it's closest competition was apparently Mass Effect 3 (which in no way deserves GotY!) it makes me even more glad that The Walking Dead won in most places.

I'm actually surprised Mass Effect 3 didn't win. Because you know...EA and its PR marketing machine of madness. >_>
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud

Where The Walking Dead didn't win, ME3 did.
    edited December 2012

@Kitteh_On_A_Cloud

Where The Walking Dead didn't win, ME3 did.

Well, ME 3 was crappy overall, but certain aspects were indeed handled right. An example of that would be the music, which, to me, was very good.
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud

I should say that I didn't hate ME3. It was below par in many places (not just the ending) but it also did a number of things right.
    The whole Mordin arc (while not making a lot of sense in terms of his characterisation) was pretty gut wrenching. And dealing with Tali and Rannoch was pretty good.

It was worth like a 7 out of 10, IMO. Good but not great.

Just wasn't worthy of GotY.

IMO, the places that gave it GotY are the places that have sold out.
    @fitscotgaymer: Yeah, I always liked Mordin and that scene really made me feel bad for him too. Saw it all on YouTube. One of the scenes the dev team got right.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    @fiscotgaymer

Who gave it GOTY? I adore Mass Effect and I thought ME3 was pretty great, but Mass Effect is an odd GOTY nomination, all of the games were pretty flawed, but the series is pretty impressive, I think it would be easier to make GOTY's games that can be fully enjoyed in one title.

Also I have played the first three episodes of The Walking Dead, and I have to say it is better than the comic and far, far better than the TV show. Haven't finished it yet but I can definitely see the GOTY potential, it impressed me more than anything blockbuster this year.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    The Walking Dead has never held any interest to me. The whole Zombie Apocalypse storyline and every single solitary piece of media that exists within them are the exact same. They are all the exact same.

Chris Kluwe, punter of the Minnesota Vikings and internet super geek, summed it up on Twitter awhile back. (Remember this is twitter, older posts are on bottom. So read bottom to top.)

@sandmanCCL

Well with a 140 character limit, that is a decent description. :P

Although you can boil a lot of popular things down to that same description, in all fairness. I certainly won't defend the comics or the show, I enjoy them but mostly as brainless entertainment.

The game really stands out though, having to actually put yourself in the shoes of someone in this situation is one thing, but the character you play is responsible for an 8-year-old, and it offers a pretty fresh dynamic to the genre.

And personally, while the game does offer "People Being Assholes," most of the time there is reason behind it. Unlike the TV show where everyone has the common sense of a twig.

• sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    edited January 2013
    @State_Lemming:
    Admittedly, the game interests me more than the TV series and comics. Telltale has proven they are excellent story-tellers and I've always enjoyed point n click things. One that actually takes on a dark tone could be interesting. I've heard nothing but good things about it.
    @SandmanCCL
    You could give the title of People Being Assholes to just about anything these days, especially to athletes.
  • AlexMAlexM Member Posts: 110
    Baldurs Gate: Bhaalspawn Being Assholes
    @AlexM You could broaden that substantially, 9 out of 10 people in the Forgotten Realms seem to be assholes.
  • klatuklatu Member Posts: 108
    OK, I only watch the TV series, and only because it's hilarious (and not in a good way)!

Can someone explain to me the rules of zombification? First it was "Don't get bitten!", then it was "We'll all shamble anyway so who the fuck cares?", and then they hack off Herschel's leg with a rusty hatchet because he got bitten?! I don't even.
    Daelric said:

@Kitteh_On_A_Cloud
    The Walking Dead isn't about zombies. If you read any of the books or watched the show its about the human interaction during and extreme circumstance.

Sure. So naturally the white dude gets to be in charge (in close tie to his almost-rapist buddy, who's also a white dude).
    While the only black dude gets killed just in time to make space for the replacement black dude (we can't have more than one, after all!).
    And of course everyone agrees that having a crying, loud-ass new-born (TWD: Quest for Formula!) to alert every stinker in a 50 mile radius is a good idea, despite access to contraception and all.

Which is all secondary. The real issue I have with the show is that hat.
    That motherfucking hat. Seriously.
    @klatu So your problem is the lead role is played by a white dude? Are you racist bro? Your comment is hilarious (and not in a good way).
    Not THIS again. Sometimes I hate political correctness. Everything always has to be overanalyzed. *sigh*
    *shrug sigh cough*
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I don't see the racism in the show, since Michonne is doing fine and Glenn survived and is treated as a character, not as token asian/minority. However, I agree about the forsaken hat and the other points raised above - the old, stale pregnant in apocalypse story simply doesn't do it for me. It is beyond any logic that people with the means to prevent it would still think it's a perfectly fine thing to do and have a baby under these circumstances.
    I also found it disappointing when Shane died and the entire cast became yesmen/women to Rick. Shane wasn't really a likable character, but he added conflict, which is what a drama series lives on.
    Daryl, the one character a majority of viewers didn't outright hate during season 2... didn't really *do* anything either (except getting shot and being cool with it). If the only character the writers manage to make likable is passive like that, congrats.

I really want to like the show, and I do love the idea behind it. But the execution is just meh. Though, season 3 is much better than season 2, which I mainly credit to the return of Merle. With him, conflict made a comeback.
  • VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
    Season 2 sucked indeed. 3 is fine so ar, but it isn't brilliant by far. I do find it hilarious how they seemingly kill off black people a couple of times to just 'replace' him a few moments later.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    If "fine" means "not painfully boring", yes. Season 2 was probably the biggest disappointment since TV was invented, and I watched a lot horrible shows (ST Enterprise, Stargate Universe, that 13 episodes Criminal Minds spinoff that ended in a cliffhanger...). Nothing was that much of a let down.

I'm a bit puzzled why racism is still a topic though. They also had some very major white characters killed. It's not like they ONLY kill black or minority characters. There is also no stereotyping of those that survive.
    LukevanV said:

Season 2 sucked indeed. 3 is fine so ar, but it isn't brilliant by far. I do find it hilarious how they seemingly kill off black people a couple of times to just 'replace' him a few moments later.

Black men in The Walking Dead follow Highlander rules.

The current one, Tyreese, is encouraging though, because I think in the only two scenes we've seen him in, he has been given more lines than T-Dog (never forget).

You can also just play the video game this thread is about, which is better than the TV show in every single way, save unintentional hilarity.

• H0RSEH0RSE Member Posts: 115
    Daelric said:

I know this is off topic but people really need to see this:

We are witnessing the rise of one of the most popular entertainment franchises in history folks.

Yes, that's correct.

The Walking Dead is by far the best comic book on the shelves today, blowing away anything Marvel and DC puts out. It is the best television show on air right now, and now the game which came out for the Xbox Live Arcade won, and deservedly I might add, Game of the Year.

Hold onto your issues folks, they will continue to rise in value!

I beg to differ.

Although I am not a comic book reader (anymore), I have always enjoyed the typical "superhero" type comics above anything else. TWD as a TV show is okay, nothing great. I watched the first 2 seasons, but there was really nothing that pulled me in - nothing drew me in enough to want to keep watching it, and the game, although a well-enough game, I didn't find all that revolutionary either, recycling an old 'point and click' adventure mechanic from the days of Discworld and Full Throttle. I am however pleased to see an arcade title get 'top honors' sort of speak - perhaps it will show others that money and high production value aren't everything.

As far as TV shows go, I find Dexter and Fringe far more entertaining and engaging than Walking Dead.

• Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    edited January 2013
    I tried to watch walking dead when it started, but I don't like soap operas. After some coursing I tried to watch it again recently the bad acting gives it a awkward feel, and I am glad I am not invested in it because it's trash and trash smells bad.

It's fine that it won goty because the other games on the list were bad also. I really liked how when they went to the game developers they said Dark Souls should get it when it wasn't nominated. Almost all the games listed in most categories were bad, and I think there was a bit of corruption involved; I wonder how much blizz payed for d3 to be in there.

I didn't know about The voting system cause I have shit to do and even If I would have known I wouldn't have voted for the crap games nominated. My guess is that the majority of voting was done by 12 year old boys or obsessive adult gamers.

http://images.mylot.com/userImages/images/postphotos/2081705.gif
    @Chaotic_Good You some people actually enjoy Diablo 3 just fine.

And the Walking Dead was a great game, and something tells me Telltale doesn't really have the capital to "buy" an award. I've heard good things about Journey as well.

Actually all in all I'd say it was a fantastic year for games, smaller titles with more creative liberties really shined this year, coupled with the fact that a lot of blockbuster releases only received lukewarm reactions.

Also Dark Souls came out in 2011.
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    edited January 2013
    @State_Lemming
    They were talking about the PC ready to die edition Aug 24 2012