Skip to content

Un-needed Feature Request. Make the Baldur.ini more easy and logical to read and edit.

AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
edited December 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
I have an Intel chip.

Baldur's Gate will work, but needs tuning to make it run at a playable level.

Lot's of patches mean lots of times to test and retune my Baldur.ini to get the best out of my machine and the game... This is what I am faced with...

CREATE TABLE options (
section string,
name string,
value string
);
INSERT INTO options ROWS (
'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1', 'Window', 'Full Screen', '1', 'Game Options', 'Footsteps', '1', 'Game Options', 'Memory Level', '1', 'Game Options', 'Mouse Scroll Speed', '36', 'Game Options', 'GUI Feedback Level', '5', 'Game Options', 'Locator Feedback Level', '3', 'Game Options', 'Bored Timeout', '3000', 'Game Options', 'Always Dither', '1', 'Game Options', 'Subtitles', '1', 'Game Options', 'Keyboard Scroll Speed', '36', 'Game Options', 'Command Sounds Frequency', '2', 'Game Options', 'Selection Sounds Frequency', '2', 'Game Options', 'Effect Text Level', '63', 'Game Options', 'Infravision', '0', 'Game Options', 'Weather', '1', 'Game Options', 'Tutorial State', '1', 'Game Options', 'Attack Sounds', '1', 'Game Options', 'Auto Pause State', '1721', 'Game Options', 'Auto Pause Center', '1', 'Game Options', 'Difficulty Level', '2', 'Game Options', 'Quick Item Mapping', '1', 'Game Options', 'Environmental Audio', '1', 'Game Options', 'Heal Party on Rest', '0', 'Game Options', 'Terrain Hugging', '0',

etc, etc,

Anyway can we move back to the old style... That went like this...

[Game Options]
Footsteps=1
Memory Level=1
Mouse Scroll Speed=36
[Graphics]
OpenGL Version=1

etc, etc,

It would just be easier...

Is it just me or is the current Baldur.ini just look messy?

Post edited by Anduin on

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited December 2012
    I'm assuming you're using notepad to view it (or at least that's how it looks when I open it with notepad)? Just use a different program. Wordpad works good. It also works fine for me with OpenOffice Writer, which makes me think it would work fine with MS Word too. Really any other program that sucks less than notepad seems to have a good chance of working.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    edited December 2012
    Will try @TJ_Hooker . Even with it listed... surely they don't need to repeat all the game options over and over... Maybe it is just me and I should stop whining...

EDIT: Clarification. They don't need to write over and over game option...
  • junk11junk11 Member Posts: 117
    never ever trust window's notepad :)

use things like Notepad++, wordpad for simple ini tweak
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Anduin said:

Will try @TJ_Hooker . Even with it listed... surely they don't need to repeat all the game options over and over... Maybe it is just me and I should stop whining...

EDIT: Clarification. They don't need to write over and over game option...

Oh yeah, I didn't even notice that. But overall once you get it open in a program that actually organizes it line by line it still looks fairly tidy.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,527
    Wordpad works very well and displays a clean and orderly .INI file that is quick and easy to alter. Please try that.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Yep looks tidy. My request is looking pretty useless... Going to change thread name... Can it be moved to off topic?