Viconia--black or blue?

carugacaruga Member Posts: 375
Which should she be? (Don't say both.)

imageimage

For comparison:

Just kidding btw... I realise the artwork is smurfed, I mean stylised... :D

Comments

• ElysElys Member Posts: 100

I don't like much the slightly blueish color, but I prefer this face.

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    I don't want her portrait changed. Keep each portrait for their own game, don't replace one with the other.
  • carugacaruga Member Posts: 375
    I don't want her portrait changed. Keep each portrait for their own game, don't replace one with the other.
    That wasn't the question asked!
    @caruga

O you're asking if she should be black or blue.

Just rough her up a little then she'll be both. HA HA.

No I reckon she oughta be blue. But I think the first portrait is sexier, there's no contest.
    Me, I think Viconia should be black, because drows are. There are no blue drows.
    edited June 2012
    @Ward: There is. It's just she does not smile in the second portrait :p
    @Caruga: Yeah she should be black, but maybe drow suntan turns blue o.O

IS THAT VICONIA FOR SERIOUS MAN WHOA?

Dayum. Where did you find it?
    @Elys

Oh I'm disappointed I thought it was official.

Still dayum.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    That's the kind op hypersexualisation that kind of annoys me in most fantasy art. You can see her underwear for gods sake, nobody adventures in that.
    Also, she's light blue. Drow should be blacker than the blackest black times infinity.
    edited June 2012
    @Drugar: Official Drow, Valsharess from Neverwinter Nights - Hordes of the Underdark:

That's kinda similar in cleavage ;)

Also, are not Drows supposed to be more sexually explicit than other races?
    It is know Drow ladies are very active. Why hide it?
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @Elys - "Sexual explicity" does not make Chainmail Bikinis any less ridiculous.

@Ward - The character being "very active" has nothing to do with it. These kind of armours and clothing only exist for the sake of pandering to the viewer, not for any in-story reason.
    edited June 2012
    @scriver: A Chainmail Bikinis does not make much sense in term of protection because you're talking about armoring in that case. It's not the same about simple clothing.

Wearing a full mage robe, or a skimpy outfit does not gonna make much change in term of protection when you get hitted by a mace.

For example a kensai or mage does not wear armor. So there is no logical contradiction for him/her to wear a more flesh revealing outfit if it is in him/her culture or personality.

About the 2 pictures I posted:

The fanart is clearly a clothing. Stylewise I find nothing wrong about it excepted that Viconia is supposed to be a Cleric so that does not fit her canon (and that I wonder how the top hold together when she moves xD ). But looking at the weapons she's equipped with, it seems the author did more Kensai of Thief version of her. Or maybe she was just posing for the Baldur's Gate Weekly Gazette :p

The official NWN:Hotu screenshot of Valsharess clearly fall into the "chainmail Bikinis" category. However she's is the Queen, so I assume her armor is ceremonial, not practical. Which I guess can be seen as a reason enough to explain the "chainmail bikini" form.
    Post edited by Elys on
    edited June 2012
    (oops I wanted to edit my post but made a double post)

As for the idea that as you put it "These kind of armours and clothing only exist for the sake of pandering to the viewer, not for any in-story reason."

That's true, a quick look on many recent released games will show a clear tendency to sexualized contents.
    But after all there is nothing wrong about it. If it makes the game more appealing or fun for many players, even if its to the detriment of those who prefer realistic armoring. Sadly, you can't always please everyone.

Personally when thinking about game content, if I'm wondering about choosing between adding something fun, or not adding it just for the sake of keeping the game realist, I chose fun over realism. Simply because I play game to have fun. (I'm taking generally there, not just anymore about "Chainmail Bikini").
    Which should she be? (Don't say both.)

imageimage
    Why Viconia's hair is purple in the left picture ? xD
    Post edited by Elys on
    edited June 2012
    @Wisp: Nice! That's a lot more fitting!
  • aXidalaXidal Member Posts: 61
    "The light, it burns"
    Do you really think she would like to expose her skin?
    @aXidal: The light is just burning her eyes. Its white skins that are especially sensitive to sunlight. So she should be perfectly fine skinwise. :p

Also I guess every sunlight-noobie Drow that goes out under daylight for the first time end up naked because its equipment turns to dust :O
  • aXidalaXidal Member Posts: 61
    @Elys As a Swede i am quite aware that white skins sensitive to sunlight. ;)
    However I still think that someone who lived their entire life underground should be sensitive to sunlight, no matter the colour of the skin. About drow equipment disintegrating in sunlight, is that true for all drow equipment or just their metal?
    edited June 2012
    @aXidal: I will just quote AD&D wikipedia note on Drow stuff: "Their equipment (magical boots and cloaks, and fine mesh armor similar to chainmail) is black in color and described as being empowered by exposure to the strange radiations of the Drow homeland, losing this power and eventually falling apart when exposed to direct sunlight and kept from the radiation for too long."

So it seems it's normally just not metal.
    IS THAT VICONIA FOR SERIOUS MAN WHOA?

Dayum. Where did you find it?
    I thought you were going to say how well-dressed the man behind her looks...
    @caruga

I laughed.

@Elys

Does Viconia go to the gym? The only girls with big, toned thighs like that work out.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I think the Miloch version of Viconia looks great.
    edited June 2012
    @Ward: I guess doing miles and miles of country-side exploration while wearing weapons, armors and backpack is a kind of work out O.O

For the fanart one, I don't know, you'd have to ask the author vision of her, but she looks indeed STR based.
    For the vanilla BG version, she has only 9 or 10 STR, so I guess she should not look much muscular ^^
    edited June 2012
    @Elys

Character models are very thin. But the girls have large boobies so it's okay. Viconia's character model could use a bit of meat to match her fanart. I'm not saying she should look musclebound, just big and meaty curvy. Toned like girls who do yoga.
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    I prefer the bluish tint personally.

@Ward I think you are enjoying over thinking portrait art a little too much ;)
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I strongly approve of the Miloch portrait.
    edited June 2012
    I didn't even notice that that was a hood in her BG2 portrait, the Miloch portrait makes that more obvious (although for a second I still wondered why her hair had a purple stripe in it).
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    "Their skin tends to be so black in color it may appear to have a bluish or purplish sheen; in contrast, their hair is almost always a brilliant, shining white"

So there you have it. purplish sheen, second pic looks better imo, the first just looks like a dirty face.