Skip to content

Seeking Sword can't hit Clay Golems?

The description for the Priest of Helm's ability "Seeking Sword" states that it's considered to be a +4 weapon, yet it's ineffective against Clay Golems.

Is this an oversight or intentional?

Comments

• KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    edited December 2012
    Not an oversight (it was always like that).. the sword is a slashing weapon.. you need a magical blunt weapon (+1 or better) to damage clay golems.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    This is the reason why I sometime dont like to upgrade the golem manual in bg2 tob to bigger golems from the clay golem. It's fun to watch the enemies keep getting the message "Clay Golem is immune to my damage".
  • DaeconDaecon Member Posts: 3
    Ah, a blunt weapon. Thanks! I'm having a hard time figuring out which ways to kill specific monsters in the Black Pits - that Beholder isn't very forthcoming with actually helpful information...
    Daecon said:

Ah, a blunt weapon. Thanks! I'm having a hard time figuring out which ways to kill specific monsters in the Black Pits - that Beholder isn't very forthcoming with actually helpful information...

Then maybe this is :) .. http://www.dotd.com/mm/MM00000.htm
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    While on golems: what are the weapons type that can damage Flesh Golems? piercing/slashing only?
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    IIRC Flesh golems should take damage from any weapon that is of +1 enchantment or greater. In the case of missile weapons this would mean you need magical projectiles like Arrows or Bolts +1.

IIRC Flesh golems should take damage from any weapon that is of +1 enchantment or greater. In the case of missile weapons this would mean you need magical projectiles like Arrows or Bolts +1.

^
    True.
    Flesh golems can only be struck by a magical weapon. Fire and cold based spells merely slow them for 2-12 (2d6) rounds. Any electrical attack restores 1 hit point for each die of damage it would normally have done. All other spells are ignored by the creature.
  • KomarrKomarr Member Posts: 80
    Or it could be their magic resistence,
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    Ah, thanks to all for this.
  • DaeconDaecon Member Posts: 3

I notice the vendor in the Black Pits is now selling both a +1 Sling and +1 Bullets, so would that mean even if I had the +1 Sling, I'd still not be able to damage them without the +1 Bullets?
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Deacon

That is correct. It needs to be the "projectile" not the "launcher" that is magical. A normal sling with +1 bullets should work, however a sling +1 with normal bullets should not work.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    Blunt damage is best damage. Slashing and piercing weapons have penalties to hit against most types of armor; blunt damage has fewer of these.

This is not reflected in the BGEE manual, but it is in the BG1 manual. I confirmed with a dev on these forums that the rules are implemented, just omitted from the manual.

However, blunt weapons tend to be slower and deal less damage than their edgy and pointy counterparts.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @PugPug : too bad that in both games, the most damaging weapons are in fact Blunt XD

As for Beholder dude - they are Beholders - the most cheesy creatures in the game series really. You can't counter them legitimately knowing you'll be 100% safe. There's ALWAYS the chance they'll kill you instantly. Luckily, this one lacks the Death Ray as far as I've seen, but petrifying, charming, sleeping and the most dreaded, anti-magic rays are there.
    Minor Spell Turning should help for a few seconds, but that's mostly it - dealing with them is a matter of speed, not counter-measures : bash with strong melees and cast offensive spells. You should be done in a matter of second, it IS a weakened beholder I feel :P