Skip to content

We need a thief NPC in BG2:EE!

Comments

• CribbianCribbian Member Posts: 19
    An evil thief would be nice indeed. Maybe Montaron has a cousin or something.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    The name of the mod escapes me atm, but it involves working with the Amn law enforcement to undermine both Bodhi and the shadow thieves. The end result is the same, but it at least gives an option for those who want to stay on the straight and narrow.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    Nukenin said:

There should be a barbarian companion for thief players, and a thief companion for barbarian players. These two characters should be able to laugh in the face of all content, and once they put the finger-waggling Bhaalspawn nonsense behind them they should be able to trot off to Neverwinter and/or Waterdeep and/or Luskan and/or Icewind Dale and have many adventures.

I think I love you for this subtle Lankhmar reference. Dont tell my wife.
  • markthesharkmarktheshark Member Posts: 57
    I think BGEE needs multiple thieves. Right now, your choices are Yoshimo, Jan, or Charname. I guess the good news is that both can be in either a good or evil party. But you need a thief throughout the game, which is problematic. I don't count Nalia and Imoen, since both need to be hacked to be the party's main thief.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Yeah, I've modified my predictions on this one a little.

1: Must be female - Boy, Girl, Boy, Girl logic.
    2: Must be lesbian or bi romanceable - Because they've inferred an interest in covering the full spectrum of orientations.
    3: Must be non-evil. - Because if they had all their LGBT characters pinging on a Paladin's radar, there would be a drama-filled bitchfest the like has never been seen.
    4: Probably an elf. - Because you can't have a halfling love interest, it's BG law.
    5: Kitted, not multiclass, probably a Swashbuckler if it's an existing kit - Because single non-kitted classes are boring now, Bounty Hunter's been done, and Assassin steps on Dorn's toes.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Suiboon said:

Nalia and Imoen don't fit beside a Paladin?

I said "pure class" mage... not thief / mage ..........
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    How about a Fighter dual classed into a thief? Maybe a Berserker who hasn't regained her fighter levels yet.
  • RhymeRhyme Member Posts: 190
    The problem with a Swashbuckler NPC is that it's the least thief-y of the thief kits because of its lack of backstab. That's the role that's not really covered in BG2 (Jan can do it, but it just seems out of character and out of place for the turnip-loving chatterbox to be a stealthy backstabber).

I'd prefer an assassin. The slower skill point progression means you have meaningful choices on where to dump points for a longer period of time, and the x7 backstab modifier means you're experiencing meaningful power growth for longer as well. Two characters having access to "poison weapon" wouldn't mean the thief is stepping on Dorn's toes, especially given the vast difference in how that poison is likely to be applied.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I'm really hoping for an female Evil assassin with a personality similar (but even darker) to Safana. I really wish we could bring back the old NPCs (which I voted for), but of course we can't.

I wouldn't be super picky about race, to be honest.
  • SuiboonSuiboon Member Posts: 86
    edited December 2012

Suiboon said:

Nalia and Imoen don't fit beside a Paladin?

Why not?
    Exactly...

and @Elendar, they're practically pure class because they only advance as mages and don't really have many thief levels. And those thief levels make them better than straight up pure class mages (at least ones without heirlooms).

Not that I'd OBJECT to having another good aligned mage added to the game, but there already ARE 2 of them. Considering that resources are finite they should add NPCs that don't overlap with existing ones. So, they really need to add a thief or maybe even 2.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Quartz

I'm glad I'm not the only one expecting/hoping for an evil assassin
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    If they add a new NPC thief Trent has inferred it'll be a female character, and all the new Overhaul NPCs seem to be romanceable. For the sake of all that's good please don't make her an elf. There are already going to be 4 romanceable female elves/half-elves in BG2:EE.

All the other classic RPG communities are going to think we've got some kind of elf fetish.

I voted "another race, multi-class thief" as a "please no more elves!" vote. Also fighter-thieves are surprisingly useful and there are too many dual or multi thief/mages around already. Jan, Imoen, Nalia, I'm looking at you.
  • Zacalicious4Zacalicious4 Member Posts: 4
    I would love to have a well-written human female Swashbuckler to compliment my own half-elf male Swashbuckler in BG2:EE. If she was evil, or even chaotic neutral like mine, I would consider playing an evil party for the first time. I think it would be great fun to have two Swashbuckling lovers cutting a path across Amn!
  • FrostyFrosty Member Posts: 190
    edited December 2012
    Need a good claric in both BG1 and 2 And woman need anouther romance option in BG2
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265

Why not? Nalia is a spell-casting noble that can open locks in dungeons and Imoen is a childhood friend who (judging by her crappy skill point allocation) isn't much of a thief at all and a fledgling mage. From the character's perspective, unless it a zealous anti-magic Inquisitor paladin, either one fits in nicely.

Crappy skill point allocation? If you're a thief going into mage, all you really need is find traps (and lockpicking if you don't want to constantly prepare knock, or sleep everytime you see a chest). And Imoen has that maxed...
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    I have completed BG2 with Imoen as my only Thief at least once and found no trap/lock she couldn't handle. No hacks needed.

It would be cool having a single-class Thief, though. They are quite fun at high-levels but not everyone feels like having one as the PC.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    We need an evil thief for those who want to side with Bodhi
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327

Nukenin said:

There should be a barbarian companion for thief players, and a thief companion for barbarian players. These two characters should be able to laugh in the face of all content, and once they put the finger-waggling Bhaalspawn nonsense behind them they should be able to trot off to Neverwinter and/or Waterdeep and/or Luskan and/or Icewind Dale and have many adventures.

I think I love you for this subtle Lankhmar reference. Dont tell my wife.
    It was subtle? ;)
    Pantalion said:

Yeah, I've modified my predictions on this one a little.

1: Must be female - Boy, Girl, Boy, Girl logic.
    2: Must be lesbian or bi romanceable - Because they've inferred an interest in covering the full spectrum of orientations.
    3: Must be non-evil. - Because if they had all their LGBT characters pinging on a Paladin's radar, there would be a drama-filled bitchfest the like has never been seen.
    4: Probably an elf. - Because you can't have a halfling love interest, it's BG law.
    5: Kitted, not multiclass, probably a Swashbuckler if it's an existing kit - Because single non-kitted classes are boring now, Bounty Hunter's been done, and Assassin steps on Dorn's toes.

I'm going to go with chaotic good halfling bisexual transgender swashbuckler (gender randomized, but prefers to be treated as the gender not assigned; comes with girdle of masculinity/feminity for good wholesome fun; initial dialogue has one-time option to switch alignment to any of the three evil alignments).

That should make almost everyone happy.
  • NecroblivionNecroblivion Member Posts: 210
    BGII needs much more then one extra character. It needs a single classed thief, another bard, a barbarian, and maybe even a sorcerer. Most of them should be evil.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    edited December 2012
    We have too many romanceable elves as it is in BG2. If a potential thief npc is to be a romance option then let it be something other than elf. Perhaps a human male Swashbuckler (good aligned imo) that's a viable alternative to Anomen who is actualy charming and people might want to actually romance?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    DarkDogg said:

Short version:

They mentioned in the AMAA they were adding a female single classed thief in BG2EE. Now let me go see if I can find said quote in the AMAA.

Or rather I should but its like 4:30 am. Long story short, yes they plan on adding one. My bet is that it'll probably be a new thief and likely romancable but that's mere speculation and no fact.

Maybe they are going to add Black Lily the storekeeper from the Thieves Guild in BG1 as a playable NPC in BG2:EE? :-)
    I hope not. She won't buy my stolen goods. What kind of a thief is like that? :p
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    @Nukenin Its true. No one would expect them.

Also they would benefit from being able to perform group musical numbers.
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    Arcalian said:

We need an evil thief for those who want to side with Bodhi

m.b. Valen? :-)

Evil assassin human (vampire)
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited December 2012
    @CutlassJack

Bring out the comfy chair?
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Alora ~ <3
  • DeviijaDeviija Member Posts: 37
    A few things. First, while I'd love to see Yoshimo's questline fleshed out and him being able to be back in the party with us, I can't see it happening due to the alleged contractual agreement issues on content.

Second, and it fits in with the first, is that I'd love to see Alora return. Again, likely not gonna happen.

Third, if we are getting a lady thief that Trent mentioned, I hope she is evil and interesting (and not a sexy vixen-type leather-clad trope). I hope she is neither elven nor human, however. We have enough elf and half-elf women -- and romanceable elf and half-elf women at that -- to fill an ocean.

Moreover, I really hope there are no more elf/half-elf lady casters added to the game. There are so many other races and class-types out there...
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

Crappy skill point allocation?

95 (and later on 120, huh, that's odd...) in Open Locks and 85 in Find Traps... seems I remembered wrong or mixed her up with someone else. My bad.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    I want a kitted thief I can dual from.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    BG1: Loaded with thieves, none of them invested in Find Traps and Open Locks.

BG2: Only one thief whose skills can be raised throughout the game.