Skip to content

BG2:EE New Character Wishlist

First things first, I'd like to join the legions of fans congratulating Trent Oster and Co. on a job well done! I just finished BG:EE last night with my Swashbuckler, and I can honestly say few games have captured my attention as well as the BG series, and the enhanced edition is infinitely better. Also, I'm certain that there is another post such as mine somewhere around these boards, but I'm pressed for time and couldn't dig around. Finally, this is my first post on these boards, so apologies if I do anything embarrassing. Right, on to the topic....

I'd just like to see what you fine folks have for ideas of who could be added to the list of NPCs for BG2:EE. I'm sure they won't add more than three, like in BG:EE, and I was a big fan of the new characters (all three were in my party). I think we can all agree that the character writing and development was much better in BG2, and as long as they are well-written (and useful), I'll be happy. However, these would be be my 2 perfect additions, and please feel free to add any others you feel appropriate.

#1 is a romanceable female Swashbuckler (human or elf), preferably evil or Chaotic Neutral like my Swashbuckler. This is more a personal choice to compliment my own CN Swashbuckler (the idea of two Swashbuckling lovers carving a swath across Amn just holds a certain amount of appeal to me, from a role-playing standpoint), but it also makes logical sense. Certainly, Imoen is a respectable thief, but she is a better mage, and Yoshimo is rendered indisposed before TOB. That leaves Jan, who is incredibly irritating to me, and the PC. For me, this is no problem. But for people who don't prefer thievery and skullduggery, this is a problem. From what I've seen on these boards, a female thief has already been confirmed, so I guess this is a wasted post, but it would make BG2:EE even more of a must-buy in my book.

#2 would be a Sorcereress (preferably), but a Sorcerer would also suffice. After playing through IWD2 and The Black Pits with a Sorceress, I was hooked. I love their spellcasting mechanics, and the potential exists to tell one hell of a story through a character with magic bred into their blood. Also, he or she should also be romaceable. In retrospect, it would probably be best to make him male, so the female fans can romance someone besides Anomen.

This is all just brainstorming, of course, although I hear some sort of female thief is at least being considered. I'd love to hear everyone else's thoughts and suggestions, and once again, massive appreciation to everyone at Beamdog for resurrecting a classic!

Comments

• DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    Fighter/thief multiclass would be sweet. They really shine in ToB, and we lost the ones we had in Bg1.

They'd have to make a new one, but that'd be fun. Might be able to slot the female thief as a f/t mc
  • NazadNazad Member Posts: 55
    Gay dwarf fighter/cleric. Thank you.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    I want a female dwarf or gnome. There are no female dwarves or gnomes.

...also a nonevil pure mage. No multiclasses or dualclasses, and not Neera, because I just want a nice reliable predictable mage for a good-aligned playthrough.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    +1 on female dwarf/gnome! Perhaps a thief there?

Also a good-aligned and pure sorcerer would be great!
  • badbromancebadbromance Member Posts: 238
    Female(or male) gnome would be awesome for a romance option for my gnome cleric/thief. Chances are though if they add another gnome it would be a cleric/thief!
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    Barbarian,Sorcerer,Kensai,Wizard slayer,fighter,cleric,avenger,totemic druid,few monks,skald,jester,assassin,swashbuckler,fighter/mage/cleric,fighter/mage/thief all females all evil!
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    If they make a sorcerer NPC it'll have to have awful stats to balance the fact that it has no requisite stat, and that it gets ridiculously powerful.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I'd like someone other than Anomen to romance... Playing a female character just isn't as fun as playing a male character when the boy's got three choices and the girl's only got one. I don't even care if it's a man or a woman, just someone *other* than him!

As for a class or race, hmm... A sorcerer would be a wonderful addition, since I've always preferred them in the newer D&D editions. And a bard that...you know...could be useful. Every bard NPC that I've seen in Baldur's Gate just hasn't been that great, which is sad, because I love bards! I guess they could just give Haer'Dalis better stats or something, though I'm not sure if they would.
  • forest39forest39 Member Posts: 17
    a good aligned dwarf cleric, good aligned party's choices for healers are not very good, either a druid, or a healer with a bad wisdom, I hate druids, and aerie and amoneon don't make great healers

more evil characters

right now it seems like if you were to make an evil party it would have to be
    Player Character
    Korgan
    Dorn
    Edwin
    Viconia
    Jan( not evil, but only thief that will stay with an evil party until end of game)

and while that would be a really strong party as those 5 characters are among the strongest characters in the game it would ne nice to have some more choices

• DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    @Nonnahswriter
    I agree with everything but your slight of Haer'Dalis! How dare you? :D
  • revaarrevaar Member Posts: 160
  • tyl998tyl998 Member Posts: 144
    I want a character with an extremely involved romance that doesn't involve psychotherapy for his or her PTSD.
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    I want a lawful neutral gnome cleric/illusionist NPC who just wants to put their adventuring days behind them, retire with CHARNAME, and set up a bakery/chandlery in Skullport.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    tyl998 said:

I want a character with an extremely involved romance that doesn't involve psychotherapy for his or her PTSD.

Hmm, I wonder if there are even any mods like that. I think Ninde is, kinda, but she looks like a bald cancer patient and it creeps me out!
  • XivirielXiviriel Member Posts: 166
    There definintely needs to be more shorties in BG 2. There is only one of each.
    It would be cool to have a romancable female gnome, maybe a fighter/illusionist.
    The return of Alora would be sweet, non-romancable since she sounds and acts like 12 year old.
    If a miracle happens and origonal content can be modified, it would be cool to get Monty back (as an asassin) and Xzar as well.

An idea for those people wanting a female swash, why not one who is a vampire? A double agent working for the shadow thieves, that would be really sweet. She would have to be evil of course since BG 2 has a lack of evil people. She could have some cool stats like bonus strength but a penalty to constitution in daylight. Plus abilities like vampiric touch that would be awesome with a Swash.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Definitely agree with @Nonnahswriter that the ladies need more romance options besides Anomen. IIRC, Haer'Dalis was originally meant to be a romance option for female PCs, so if possible that would be a good option.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    BG2 needs two single class thieves; one good and one evil. One of these should be a female gnome to help address that lack, but I can't really picture a female dwarven thief. Then again, in the BG-verse you'd have a hard time finding a female dwarf at all. Anything else in addition to that is just a bonus.

Don't forget that any new NPCs added to BGEE will also appear in BG2EE, so if there are any DLC characters they can fill these holes as well.
  • phoenixclphoenixcl Member Posts: 31
    Male NE/CE Blade, Swashbuckler or Assassin with a Bishop style personality. Needs more evil romances, and male at that.

Female LG Cavalier or Undead Hunter who has an extreme black and white view. Also works with a LN wizard slayer who hates magic. Romaceable of course.

Either Gender Sun Elf mage or sorcerer who dislikes humans, is a pain to keep around but a damn good mage

Male Drow with a significant backstory and nothing like Drizzt. Possibly even half-drow. Class open, romance an option.

Female Dwarf. Doesn't matter her class or alignment though cleric would be nice.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    What about more members of the Jansen family? :)
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    OP's oddly specific first request made me chuckle a little.
  • amftronamftron Member Posts: 109
    Nazad said:

Gay dwarf fighter/cleric. Thank you.

Hells yeah !

And a female dwarf.

And a romanceable halfling.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

@Nonnahswriter
    I agree with everything but your slight of Haer'Dalis! How dare you? :D

XD He's not bad, I just wish he had better lore. I love not having to rely on identify spells/scrolls with a bard in the party, and he's just not as good at it. Truth be told, I haven't played with him for a while, so I don't quite remember how well he does... I just didn't want him messing with my Aerie! D:

@Xiviriel- Yeah, if we're talking about BG1 NPCs that could technically be added to BG2 without editing the content of the main game, Alora defs ranks near the top for me. Because she is awesome. In that vein, I'd also like to see Xan, because he is one of my favorite characters, and Kivan, because it never made sense to me that Kivan is not in BG2. I mean, he's gotten his revenge, he has no reason to be traveling now. Therefore, he'd probably be returning home to Shilmista. Because of Shilmista's location, the quickest path home for him would be right through the area BG2 takes place in. I mean, some of the other BG1 characters that made it into BG2 had some pretty thin justification for being there. Kivan on the other hand has every reason to be passing through and run into CHARNAME on his way home, but he's not there. That always confused me.
    edited December 2012
    @LadyEibhilinRhett
    There is a mod that adds him, after he learns of Charnames abduction he goes to see him out and you find him in Athkatla. Also there is a side quest to rez his wife killed by Tazok and you can get her too, I think she is a sorceress (but I could be wrong)
    edited December 2012
    @Xiviriel
    I know about both the Xan and Kivan mods. I like both, but at the same time, I disagree with many of the characterization choices the modders made. I know someone also made an Alora mod but for some reason the download link never worked for me.
    Yeah, I could see how that would be the situation for a lot of people. We are given so little information about the BG 1 NPCS that when modders try to put them into the dialogue abundent BG 2, they have to make a lot of personal additions to the characters, some of which contradict the characteristics we had given them ourselves.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    How about a Kensai dual classed to a Thief? Saves the player the trouble of powergaming for him.

Or an orc Assassin, cutting you down with 19 strength.
  • MythdraconMythdracon Member Posts: 187
    Some of the more unusual classes would be great--so yes, kensai, swashbucklers, etc. More romance options over the new ones in BG: EE might be in order too, since BG 2 is a bigger game than BG1. I would like to see lengthier, more developed romances than the short ones offered in BG 1: EE as well. And more banter with party members.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited December 2012
    A good-aligned pure mage or sorcerer, an evil thief and a barbarian would be nice as well.
  • GloktaGlokta Member Posts: 97
    What comes to mind first is a couple of thieves, as many have already mentioned..
    I've always liked the Archer kit, wouldnt mind seeing one (maybe even a evil archer :D )
    And lastly i think a barbarian of some sort!

I've probebly forgotten something..