Skip to content

*SPOILER!!* ..I'm sorry that you feel that way old man..

Why doesn't Gorion cast confusion, chaotic commands or any other good mass defensive spell rather than these puny offensive spells? ..besides the usual "suspects" of defensive spells.

Comments

• HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    Mages are usually easily happyslapped, if you pacify the mobs first, you can survive longer ..usually.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    He could've at least healed me before I ran off. Typical foster father, always thinking of himself...
    ARKdeEREH said:

Probably because Gorion isn't supposed to win so the game developers didn't want him doing anything that would result in his victory.

They could have made the encounter just a bit more plausible and exciting, sure the dialogue is good, but.

• Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    I like to imagine his power makes him arrogant, thus choosing offensive kill spells over mass defensive ones.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    He does buff now at the beginning of the battle
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    But he does use CC on Tamoko I think. I remember in my BIGWorld runthrough he'd always cast command Sleep on her.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Because he's an Evoker. Evokers miss out on all the best spells.
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    You'd think with their interest solely in Gorion's ward (i.e. CHARNAME) that a couple of the thuglings would've been diverted to get the heck after you.

Or that Sarevok would follow through his scripted 49-point "Deathbringer Assault" (followed by a Kill action on Gorion, just in case) with a leisurely stroll towards CHARNAME's hidey-hole while Tamoko rounds up the apparently nearby and observing Imoen.

This is what one contemplates when there's no running animation/speed. :D
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Wiggles said:

He could've at least healed me before I ran off. Typical foster father, always thinking of himself...

He isn't a cleric anymore. Some other dude heals you before you leave.

What gets me is he says "Wait, we are in an ambush, prepare yourself child" I have nothing to prepare! Start casting mirror image you old coot! You're the mage!
    deltago said:

[…] What gets me is he says "Wait, we are in an ambush, prepare yourself child" I have nothing to prepare! Start casting mirror image you old coot! You're the mage!

He's asking you to make your Hulk pose.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Because he's just a plot device.
    Causing unlogic scenes just for the sake of the story is not unusual, but for BG:EE they could have enhanced the fight a bit. Like letting him cast his spells at Sarevok and having him backstabbed by Tamoko while doing so. But that would have caused other plot problems... oh well.
  • MichailMichail Member Posts: 196
    He either just memorized the wrong spells and didn't have a choice, or made the wrong tactical choices.Both perfectly plausible. If i understand the battle scene correctly a dispel is cast on him. Maybe he didn't expect a mage to be present?
    He could've just cast Power Word: Reload and changed his spell assortment. And traveled in a different direction. And dragged CHARNAME out of Candlekeep without letting the runt run around playing at "quests and questions".

Even better yet, he could've just handed over his ward. No one would've been hurt.

Silly old man. Gorion would be proud!
    Nukenin said:

He could've just cast Power Word: Reload and changed his spell assortment. And traveled in a different direction. And dragged CHARNAME out of Candlekeep without letting the runt run around playing at "quests and questions".

Even better yet, he could've just handed over his ward. No one would've been hurt.

Silly old man. Gorion would be proud!

Heard when he did that, Sarevok said "I am your father" and the game went out of sync!

• lDanielHolmlDanielHolm Member Posts: 225

Because he's just a plot device.
    Causing unlogic scenes just for the sake of the story is not unusual, but for BG:EE they could have enhanced the fight a bit. Like letting him cast his spells at Sarevok and having him backstabbed by Tamoko while doing so. But that would have caused other plot problems... oh well.

They did enhance it. In the original, Gorion just cast Lightning Bolt, Power Word: Sleep, Acid Arrow, and a lot of Magic Missiles.

Now he actually uses buffs, they just get dispelled.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    If Gorion had used hold person, chaos or any other disabling tactic on Sarevok, what would he had done then? Stab him to death with his dagger?

Fireballs , lightning bolts and melf's arrows were pretty good spell choices in this matter, I suppose.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Or he could have done this... if you havent seen it:)
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10570/gorion-wins-well-almost#latest
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Gorion was only 9th level if I remember correctly. It wouldn't have been enough to really win against Sarevok, who is four levels higher and with a hefty dose of magic resistance. He was just buying time for his son to get the hell out of dodge.

Turning invisible would've done pretty much the exact opposite.
    Bhaaldog said:

Should have used the invisibility spell and walked away. I do miss the magic missle barrages as it made Sarevok look more powerful although I do understand they wanted it to be more in line with the actual game dynamics.

For some reason it seems he thinks it's a good idea to go full balistic on Sav with a dagger? ..WTF!!?!?

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    He was probably more expecting to deal with Gibberlings, Wolves and the occasional hobgoblin or ogre, instead of a high level quasi-god fighter with Magic Resistance up to his eyeballs and a cleric backing him up.

When I'm facing 10 gibberlings, fireball seems a perfectly viable tactic. When facing an over-levelled Deathbringer with backup, Teleport also seems like a good option.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • OssoryOssory Member Posts: 56
    On a completely unrelated, yet also deeply disturbing note, during the Duel of the Fates why didn't Obi Wan use Jedi Force: Speed to catch up with the fighting Qui Gon Jinn and Darth Maul? Baffles me similarly to Gorion acting dumb in front of Sarevok.

Also, the dawn is especially cruel this morning.
    Probaly because his "mana" was regenerating, he can't just force speed all the time.
  • OssoryOssory Member Posts: 56
    But he used it at the beginning of the film (negotiations with the Trade Federation), so a couple of days before the Duel of the Fates. How long does it take him to regenerate mana!?
    He's still an ass kissing apprentice so he has a really poor regeneration rate I guess, or he hasn't traied his refreshrate on Force Speed.