Skip to content

Irenicus: Stupidest antagonist ever? (Spoilers for BG2)

13»

Comments

• JarlealeJarleale Member Posts: 114
    [SPOILER]Sounds like the plot of Planescape: Torment[/SPOILER]
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    *looks at OP's post*

*sees Jon's name being spelled wrong*

*tl;dr*

Let's hope it keeps to this trollish individual alone. Don't need other moronic n00b-trolls here.

• CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688

Calmar said:

It's about time someone creates a story about a villainous plan that the heroes struggle to foil - only to find out in the end that the plan is perfect and the villain ends up winning. After he defeats the player in the final battle, you can then watch him standing over your dead corpse, delivering his great speech of victory before the credits beguin.

That could work, if it turned out that ultimately you the player were the "main villain" all along, and had concocted the bulk of your adventure to help you recover after losing your power and memories. Then, you realize that your true "evil plan" was actually for the betterment of the world, and the final boss would be an overzealous Paladin who is convinced you're an evil lunatic.
    Nah, I don't want to be surprised by my own evil master plan...
  • QuineloeQuineloe Member Posts: 55
    If Irenicus is the stupidest villain ever, what makes that you when you don't defeat him in the first 5 minutes of the game?
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited December 2012

*looks at OP's post*

*sees Jon's name being spelled wrong*

*tl;dr*

Let's hope it keeps to this trollish individual alone. Don't need other moronic n00b-trolls here.

I'm having a hard time with someone saying "too long; didn't read" and then calling someone else a noob.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Calmar said:

Nah, I don't want to be surprised by my own evil master plan...

It's not so much a surprise as it is a gift from you to...you.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    @SirFrancealot

In response to calling Irenicus stupid.

He can't be caged.

He can't be controlled.

Understand this as you die, ever pathetic, ever fool.

I mean, I guess point 16 and 17 that you made isn't really covered by that

He got pretty controlled when he was killed... twice...
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    Calmar said:

It's about time someone creates a story about a villainous plan that the heroes struggle to foil - only to find out in the end that the plan is perfect and the villain ends up winning. After he defeats the player in the final battle, you can then watch him standing over your dead corpse, delivering his great speech of victory before the credits beguin.

Some people can't stomach anime. If you can, I suggest Death Note. Watch the first 13 episodes (13 I think...) and then stop. It has some things in common with what you just described.

Be sure to stop. After 13, you will think to yourself "this is the perfect ending, it can't get any better, why are there more episodes?" You're right. It can't get better. Stop watching right then.
  • FFGFFG Member Posts: 52
    on top of being plain ignorant you're just not funny
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938

Calmar said:

Some people can't stomach anime. If you can, I suggest Death Note. Watch the first 13 episodes (13 I think...) and then stop. It has some things in common with what you just described.

Be sure to stop. After 13, you will think to yourself "this is the perfect ending, it can't get any better, why are there more episodes?" You're right. It can't get better. Stop watching right then.
    @RomulanPaladin

That's because the anime was an atrocity and killed the second half of the story.

Read the manga. First half of the story is better in the manga anyway.

http://www.mangapanda.com/113/death-note.html

Granted I prefer the first half to the second half, but at least the story is told better and more complete in the manga.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Yeah, 2nded. Manga is SO much better...and you don't have to sit through re-cap episodes and "that one scene"...you know the one.
  • IrishAndroidIrishAndroid Member Posts: 12
    I agree with Kaigen. It's important to remember Irenicus is a megalomaniac and a villain's plan in a narrative is meant to be unraveled and their work undone. You can't cite a villain as being wrong because their goals are far-fetched and ridiculous (trying to eat the world tree). I, personally, think Irenicus was a refreshing villain. He was different, often surprising me by opposing antagonist cliches (not all the time, but still), as when he says, "No, you'll warrant no villain's exposition from me."

No rant, no rambling plot, nothing. The PCs have to figure out what he was doing. That you have to do this at all was wonderful.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Calmar said:

It's about time someone creates a story about a villainous plan that the heroes struggle to foil - only to find out in the end that the plan is perfect and the villain ends up winning.

Diablo.

• Kaigen said:

The only point I'd like to equivocate on is your sarevok metaphor of a house of cards. I'd consider his plans to more like a room full of houses of cards. CHARNAME knocks one over, but there are many more still operational. Which CHARNAME then proceeds to also knock over. Until he knocks them all over. Then he knocks over Sarevok.

This is a good point. As you say, Sarevok's got a lot of redundancy built in to his master plan. The problem is that even though they are somewhat compartmentalized and redundant, they're still interconnecting like clockwork. Anyone who stumbles onto one part of his plan can eventually follow the connections back to him (as CHARNAME does, although as I alluded to earlier, this has as much to do with his minions' inability to properly dispose of correspondence as anything). Although the game makes you take one path, judging by everything you pick up, you could theoretically have pieced it together in any order prior to entering Baldur's Gate. The Bandit Camp has leads to both Cloakwood and Nashkel, and if someone had stumbled upon the Cloakwood Mine and successfully cleared it, they would have found correspondence connecting to Nashkel and the Bandits (not to mention the Iron Throne itself).

Regardless, Sarevok's main flaw is that once he sets everything in motion, he never stops to make sure everything is still going according to plan. Or if he does, even as all of his failsafes start tripping, he doesn't stop to address whatever it is that's knocking them over piece by piece (i.e. you).