Skip to content

How to remove XP cap on iPad?

qbahqbah Member Posts: 25
edited December 2012 in iPad (Archive)
So... like the title says, how?

I tried using iFunbox to add override folders with the 3 files to several places inside the app, it won't allow me at all (iFunbox crashes or stops doing anything). I can edit the folders with saves without issues using iFunbox, but I guess I need to add the override folder with the 3 files in a similar place to the PC version?

Halp?

Playing solo and already hit the cap after clearing the Bandit Camp - 161k. I know very well I will be extremely OPed once I do it. I finished both games 10s of times already - bought BG1 on the day it came out ~15 years ago :)
Post edited by qbah on

Comments

• IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    QBah: there is no support in the iPad version of the game for modding at this point.

The Devs have identified that they are interested in supporting modding but they do not quite know how it will work yet and have not had time to work on what it would take to do so. They've talked about using dropbox functionality to support this kind of work but do not have ANY modding support in game at this point.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    I would assume that you could change some files via iFunbox.
  • qbahqbah Member Posts: 25
    I tried iFunbox - it doesn't let me modify anything within the actual app. I can access and modify the area with save games without issues.

Thanks folks! Hopefully we'll hear something from the dev soon :-)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I really see no way of doing it without jailbreaking as iOS does not allow direct access to its filesystem...
  • jolly_bbjolly_bb Member Posts: 122
    edited December 2012
    how 'bout importing save/character through iFunbox from PC with the cap being exceeded (shadowkeepered the character and/or removed the XP cap and gone above with XP)?

I'm not an expert here, just thinking outloud.

Would such a save (e.g. thief 200k XP) behave on iPad like:
    -reverted the xp back to 161k and keeping your lvl (and HP)?
    -reverted the xp back to 161k and reverting also your lvl (unlikely...)
    -crashed?
    -kept 200k XP but would not allow to go above?
    -worked well (200k and allowed to gain more)?

Which one is it?
    Post edited by jolly_bb on
    jolly_bb said:

how 'bout importing save/character through iFunbox from PC with the cap being exceeded (shadowkeepered the character and/or removed the XP cap and gone above with XP)?

I'm not an expert here, just thinking outloud.

Would such a save (e.g. thief 200k XP) behave on iPad like:
    -reverted the xp back to 161k?
    -crashed?
    -kept 200k XP but would not allow to go above?
    -worked well (200k and allowed to gain more)?

Which one is it?

Good question. The cap is a global thing, so for sure importing such a save won't unlock it for the installation.

I guess the game would:
    - lock your XP at 161k
    - keep your current level
    - not allow to gain more

Just a guess though... Can't really check myself, I'm on holidays right now with no access to my home PC.
    If you can get around this on the PC version, you should be able to get around it on the iPad version by looking at the thread about using Shadowkeeper on the iPad. Hit the "Known bugs and issues" stickied thread at the top. In the first post I've started a bit of a "knowledge base" set of links including one pointing at the "Shadowkeeper" instructions.

If you can modify this on the PC, you may be able to use those instructions to make the same change on the iPad...if not, you're in a wait state for "official" support to come around for modding the iPad version of the game.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Shadowkeeper can't remove the XPCap. You need to edit 3 2da files for that. If an override folder is implemented it would be simple to do.
    Hmm... maybe it could be a toggle in game options? If making the iPad version mod friendly is almost impossible, perhaps the basic one(s) could be toggles? Those that make sense... Like an XP cap remover ;-)

The XP cap is soooo annoying. First thing I always remove on my PC installs... Just hit it on my new char (F/M/T). Didn't even descend into Cloakwood mines yet... :-(
    You'll have to wait till the devs get up to putting overrides into the iPad version of the game.
  • SarthosSarthos Member Posts: 31
    I believe that you can only access/modify files within the Library and Documents folders so Beamdog will need to put an override folder in one of these two locations.
    Again, see the first post in the "Known Bugs and Issues" thread stickied at the top of the forum for more general information on customizing BG:EE.
  • mszagmszag Member Posts: 2
    I've got to the same point. This frackin xp Cap spoiled all the fun i've got till now. It sucks. It should be ingame option to remove it, or even should be removed by design.
    edited December 2012
    Finished the game on my FMT yesterday. Gathered just over 800k experience. The game was easily beatable with the cap anyway, I really don't see the point of it (hence why I always remove it on my PC installs). Not gaining levels, no new spell slots and levels, no better thief skills is spoiling the fun... I wish I could throw a few cloud kills for example... Overkill? Totally. Game doable without that? Sure. So why not allow it? :-(
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Stop being obtuse. There is an experience cap for the same reason why there are no +5 weapons.
  • hammernanvilhammernanvil Member Posts: 98
    iKrivetko said:

Stop being obtuse.

obtuse has no relevance to anything said in this thread. other than to define the users use of the word!!
    Huh? Honestly, the only reason for +5 weapons is enemies immune to anything less. That and the fun of wielding one. It really doesn't make you that much more powerful compared to say +3 ones (which exist in BG1) - you even get +4 weapons vs lycanthropes. Most of your final ThAC0 and damage comes from character level, strength and weapon proficiency anyway.

Also, you can probably get around a mil of XP in a BG1 game at most. Which is ~330k per class in a FMT - so level 8-11 for each class. If I don't really break a sweat with the 161k cap (levels 6-7), then yea... I don't understand the need for a cap.
  • masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    161k isn't levels 6-7. 161k is:
    Level 8 for Fighters, Barbarians, Paladins, Rangers, Clerics, and Monks
    Level 9 for Wizards and Sorcerers
    Level 10 for Thieves, Bards, and Druids

The original XP cap was, of course, 89k, which is level 7 for everyone but Druids, Thieves, and Bards.

Incidentally, you can legally Dual Class a thief to wizard at level 7 with the 161k xp cap (hello Imoen!)

161k isn't levels 6-7. 161k is:
    Level 8 for Fighters, Barbarians, Paladins, Rangers, Clerics, and Monks
    Level 9 for Wizards and Sorcerers
    Level 10 for Thieves, Bards, and Druids

The original XP cap was, of course, 89k, which is level 7 for everyone but Druids, Thieves, and Bards.

Incidentally, you can legally Dual Class a thief to wizard at level 7 with the 161k xp cap (hello Imoen!)

It is for my FMT.

The reason they have level caps is pretty obvious.

It's about game playability and transfer up to the next game.

"Also, you can probably get around a mil of XP in a BG1 game at most. Which is ~330k per class in a FMT - so level 8-11 for each class."

So let me get this straight. You want to take a game built for characters around 7th to 10th level max and make it playable by a MINIMUM of 24th level characters? (8th level for each of 3 classes = 24 levels).

WHat about those of us who DON'T multi-class? You really thing the game should support a 20th level wizard rolling around casting 9th level spells (oops, there are no 9th level spells in the game...) or a 20th level monk rolling around being immune to anything but +1 weapons or below?

I appreciate you COULD do this, but that's not what the game is designed for.

Then what? You roll into BG2 as a 20th level character? FFS, that's where you're supposed to be rolling into ToB at.

The level cap is there for a reason, yes it's limiting you...it's SUPPOSED TO BE so that you aren't massively overpowered by mid-game and can do everything you want without issues.

It caps you to maintain at least some of it's challenge.
    Illydth said:

The reason they have level caps is pretty obvious.

It's about game playability and transfer up to the next game.

"Also, you can probably get around a mil of XP in a BG1 game at most. Which is ~330k per class in a FMT - so level 8-11 for each class."

So let me get this straight. You want to take a game built for characters around 7th to 10th level max and make it playable by a MINIMUM of 24th level characters? (8th level for each of 3 classes = 24 levels).

WHat about those of us who DON'T multi-class? You really thing the game should support a 20th level wizard rolling around casting 9th level spells (oops, there are no 9th level spells in the game...) or a 20th level monk rolling around being immune to anything but +1 weapons or below?

I appreciate you COULD do this, but that's not what the game is designed for.

Then what? You roll into BG2 as a 20th level character? FFS, that's where you're supposed to be rolling into ToB at.

The level cap is there for a reason, yes it's limiting you...it's SUPPOSED TO BE so that you aren't massively overpowered by mid-game and can do everything you want without issues.

It caps you to maintain at least some of it's challenge.

That makes no sense.

You can get around a million *total* during the whole campaign. With 6 people in the party that's under 170k per character... Looks familiar? ;-)

Also, a million exp that's level 14 tops, for a thief. For a Mage that's level 12, so lvl6 spells.

Highest would be thieves at 14. Lowest fighters/paladins at 11.

The whole adventure offers a million experience. Why punish players who wish to play the game as a single character? Or with fewer characters?
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    While you should be able to do whatever you want since it is single player, their point that it unbalances the game is completely valid.

966,000 xp given to 1 character isn't equivalent to 161,000 given to 6 characters.

Case and point a level 40 fighter would destroy 6 level 13 fighters.

The game is balanced for 161,000 xp so going over that is unbalanced. CTRL-Ying everything in the game is pretty unbalanced too but I don't want to stop anyone from doing that either.
    moopy said:

While you should be able to do whatever you want since it is single player, their point that it unbalances the game is completely valid.

966,000 xp given to 1 character isn't equivalent to 161,000 given to 6 characters.

Case and point a level 40 fighter would destroy 6 level 13 fighters.

The game is balanced for 161,000 xp so going over that is unbalanced. CTRL-Ying everything in the game is pretty unbalanced too but I don't want to stop anyone from doing that either.

Yea, the point is valid (game will be easier when getting close to the end, since your char will still progress). Especially for a single class character like a berserker (one literally rips through everything). However, as I said, classes that can solo the game already will be able to still solo the game. For a shapeshifter / berserker / FMT for example, even with 161k it's easily doable. All it takes is the right gear and approach. So it's not like it would change something that's not already possible. It's all I'm saying :-)
  • D3V11_D3V11_ Member Posts: 69
    honestly, why are people even debating this? I mean if someone wants to remove the EX cap why not let them (you can on the PC version and I don't see a big deal, no one is complaining) if it is possible (which it is currently not from my understanding)? i believe this thread was meant to discus how is it possible if it is at all, if any one knows a way. so why has the topic changed so much? let the people that want to remove the cap do so, they bought the game it is there's to do with as they see fit within legal limits of course (I do not believe removing the XP cap is not legal, right?), removing the cap is not affecting anyone else right (its not braking the game for others)? let people play how they want to play.

perhaps there should be another thread to discuss if the development teem should add the ability to remove the XP cap from the iPad version via mod or something, and let the developers choose if they want to support modifications to the game.
    I suspect the reason this has come down to a debate on whether it should or shouldn't be possible is because someone was suggesting that it be put in as an interface override...a check box in options that removes the capability of the XP Cap.

This brings the debate to a different level. Going into the dev console or putting a mod in game to remove the XP cap is one thing: This is you deciding that your game play should be different from what the original game developer intended. If the game gets too easy or becomes unenjoyable to you because you've chosen to put a mod in, that's not the developer's fault. If there is a bug in the game and it blows up because your character reached X level above what was intended, it's not a problem with the game.

Asking for the XP cap to be removable within the game itself is taking it to a different level...this is asking for this to be an Accepted practice and part of the game play by the developers. If the game manufacturer allows you to get past the XP cap, then they also have to make sure the content is there past the XP cap to maintain the game as fun. It's perfectly possible for someone to go into options, turn off the XP cap not knowing what they're doing, then scream that the game was too easy at the end to the general public.

We're not debating that you shouldn't turn off the XP cap, or that it's illegal to do so. We're debating whether or not it should be an option within the game itself as was the suggestion earlier in the thread.

--Illydth
  • D3V11_D3V11_ Member Posts: 69
    edited January 2013
    Ah ok I see, thank you @Illydth for clearing that up for me. In this case I must say that the XP cap should absolutely not be removed, they already increased it slightly (EDIT: thought they did... Apparently not tho, sorry for the miss information. My opinion still stands none the less.) from the original do to the new content (that's good) but I wouldn't remove it completely, I do not believe that would be good at all.

But I do think an override folder should be implemented to easily override the XP cap (or other things whatever they may be, spells, abilities, etc...) for people that want it removed.
    Post edited by D3V11_ on
    I ABSOLUTELY agree that there should be some kind of override folder for all of this. ANYTHING that allows me to control my game experience and tune it to what I want out of it gives this game better legs than not doing so.

That said, I just believe that the restrictions on the original game are valid and good restrictions...they should stay in place, alllowing after market mods to remove those restrictions.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    @D3V11_

I'm pretty sure BG1 with the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion always had a xp cap of 161,000 so I don't think EE increased it for new content.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    moopy said:

@D3V11_

I'm pretty sure BG1 with the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion always had a xp cap of 161,000 so I don't think EE increased it for new content.

This is correct.
  • TataJakeTataJake Member Posts: 2
    I need to have the XP Cap removed. I remember playing the game years ago on the PC and being able to easily remove the XP cap and continue to level up. This is the only way the game is enjoyable for me, maybe not true for others.

I have actually stopped playing the game since I cannot level up anymore, I'm really hoping they will release an optional XP Cap removal tool for the iPad soon.