Skip to content

Fix Durlag's Tower Chessboard

HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
edited November 2012 in Original BG1 Bugs
I just remembered this one, not sure if it should be in requests or bugfixes, because I think it's a pretty big one.

On the lower levels of Durlag's tower you are required to line up on a chess-board with certain rules/limitations. if you move to the wrong square you invariably get belted with lightning bolts.

The problem here is that it just doesn't work. The enemy comes at you in one big drove, with no regard for the rules, resulting in a mass brawl with lightning flying everywhere. While that's nice, I don't think it is what was intended for that particular puzzle/feature.

Personally I think the way to fix this is to require each 'piece' to move in turn, i.e. you move, they move, you move etc.

I think the devs may have been slightly over-amibtious on this one, and it might be difficult to fix.
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Potion of Insulation? +10 Crushing and +100% Electricity Resistance?
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    I don't think that's the point. I don't have any problem winning the battle. The problem is that the puzzle was clearly intended to be played a lot more tactically, you are told specifically of the various rules about movement etc, and then it turns into a mass brawl. The only conclusion I can draw from that is that it isn't working as was intended.
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    How about having each "piece" being held and unheld on timers. Just the enemies though, otherwise it's ridiculous and would frustrate the hell out of me. You might have to beef up the enemies to compensate. It would add something to the encounter if pawns were beefier, but slowed and occasionally held and were more intent in becoming queens to begin with.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    how are you going to stop people pelting held enemies with arrows or spells?
    Make them invulnerable when it's not their turn?
    how are you going to stop people pelting held enemies with arrows or spells?
    Because they'll have to then stop the active pawns from becoming queens and they'll also have to deal with other active pieces. There should be more than one active piece at any one time imo anyway.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    Yeah, every time I've tried this, I attempt to move my characters like a bishop, rook, etc., but... nnnno. Move at all and you better have Grounding magic. Which kind of makes the whole chessboard irrelevant. It could be a large blank square with each of the party members standing on a small circle at one end- same difference. "Brawl" is definitely the word for it. Maybe not a bug, but certainly not the most thought-out encounter.
    Maybe instead of lightning bolts your party could be held for 2 or 3 secs if they moved incorrectly instead. Wow, I'm a real fan of this hold idea...
    This is definately a problem but I think it's ultimately up to Trent as to whether/how they deal with it.

They can either concede that it's intended to be more tactical, but is just a brawl and stick with it anyway.

Or they can recognise that it is/was intended to be more tactical and implement one or two features to at least make it more tactical, even if it can't work as was ultimately intended.
  • wendigowendigo Member Posts: 46
    i agree with you, @HeroicSpur
  • HominicusHominicus Member Posts: 7
    Playing easy - just a brawl
    Playing normal - a game of checkers
    Playing hard - a game of chess

Playing Heart of Fury - Xiangqi ^^
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    The chessboard is still broken (if it's even supposed to work in the first place).

I know this is broke because if you move the 'piece' that represents the queen simply strait forward you get attacked. Since you cannot move the stone pawns, what else are you going to do other than move just the knights.
    Post edited by bigdogchris on
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @Cuv @Balquo
    This is still present in Build 2014. Are the devs aware of this issue?
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    @Aedan I believe this would require a complete overhaul to get working. I don't believe it is on the tracker though.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Bhaaldog, reminds me of any game of monopoly ever played. Sigh. Why does it always end in violence?
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550