Skip to content

I may be a noob, but Rebuke undead...

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
edited December 2012 in Not An Issue
I am not familiar with evil characters so I may be wrong about this:
Current behavior: Blackguard's turn undead makes undead run away from them.
Expected behavior: In the original BG I tested an Evil cleric once, their turn made weak undeads dominated. I was expecting that to be the case when I saw the class's description list "rebuke undead" rather than "turn undead". I honestly don't know the meaning of "rebuke undead" but I figured it meant dominate undead.
Note: Blackguard in question was PC and not Dorn.
Post edited by Avenger_teambg on

Comments

• Trista1986Trista1986 Member Posts: 12
    Not sure if completely a bug, but Blackguards are supposed to Rebuke undead. The skull icon still says that they "Turn" undead as a paladin would. I know that Rebuke undead is similar, but in higher levels you are supposed to be able to actually control the undead with a high enough check, as opposed to a paladins ability to instantly ash the undead.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Yeah I'm pretty sure that's normal. Same thing happens with an evil cleric. Despite what the icon is called, I'm pretty sure you're able to control undead when you're at higher levels if you're evil.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    The ability name is the same. It looks at your alignment to decide what it actually does (good/neutral destroys, Evil commands (or explodes paladins if there's enough level difference)

Example:

Viconia: Begins turning undead
    Kangaxx the Demi-lich: Commanded
    Keldorn: Dies
    Viconia: Eat it ya racist hypocrite!
    Post edited by ZanathKariashi on
  • qcoutlawzqcoutlawz Member Posts: 7
    awesome
  • ZuttiZutti Member Posts: 94
    Rebuke means to turn something away, so I would expect that the difference(if any) would be the removal of the charm/dominate effect on lesser undeads.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    IIRC, evil clerics only dominated undead when they were significantly higher in level than the undead they were turning, otherwise they just scared them away like normal. Same deal as good clerics not being able to insta-kill undead with turning until higher levels. Also, I believe that paladins are worse at turning undead when compared to a cleric of the same level. Put these together and you may have an explanation.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @TJ_Hooker True but I maxed his level (8) and consoled up an ordinary skeleton. Shouldn't he at least be able to dominate that?
    Note: I noticed that the turn domination is weaker than the turn insta-kill. Max lvl good clerics could kill ghasts (or ghouls, one of those (can't remember)) as their most pwerful thing insta-killed. Evil clerics could not dominate those creatures, only sacre them. You may be on to something.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    *sigh* you are right I'm an idiot. It can dominate them it just fails most of the time, scaring them instead. His turn level was only 6 due to the stupid "paladin factor". Still, failing to dominate an average joe skeleton with only bony fists for weapons... pretty sad.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    This is a low level game ;) Maybe more satisfaction in bg2. Moving this to not -an- issue.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Note that Blackguards turn/rebuke undead at paladin efficiency. This means, in this low level game it will be largely useless for more than skeletons.