Skip to content

A question about Blackguards...

Technically Blackguards in BG:EE are evil Paladins... but Paladins nonetheless. Does this mean then that a Blackgaurd can wield Carsomyr when BG2:EE comes out? Cause that would be all kinds of awesome. If not could we get some way added to corrupt Carsomyr into an Unholy Avenger for Dorn?

Comments

• szbszb Member Posts: 220
    I hope they won't be able to wield it, instead there should be a blackguard specific weapon for them.
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    I actually love the idea of corrupting carsomyr... Whether or not they are going to be able to do it because of engine/contraction limitation is another matter.
    If not then I hope a mod will be made to do this :D
  • KaterinaKaterina Member Posts: 94
    edited December 2012
    You have already an anti paladin sword in BGII wield by one of the Githyanki when you go back in Athkatla with the silver blade, one of them (Kruin) wield the silver hilt and I don't remember ifit was him or another whom have this sword, but perhaps we'll improve Soul Reaver
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    edited December 2012
    Katerina said:

You have already an anti paladin sword in BGII wield by one of the Githyanki when you go back in Athkatla with the silver blade, one of them (Kruin) wield the silver hilt and I don't remember ifit was him or another whom have this sword, but perhaps we'll improve Soul Reaver

There's nothing especially "anti-paladin" about the Silver Sword. It's a Vorpal weapon. There is nothing inherently good or evil about it. It is no different than any other enchanted two-handed sword. There's also nothing especially "anti-paladin" about Soul Reaver either.

What makes Carsomyr special is that it is a Holy Avenger weapon. A weapon designed specifically for Paladins (that are traditionally of lawful good alignment) and which exhibits specific powers in the hands of a Paladin. Now BG obviously has its limitations in how it can implement such a weapon, but the fact remains Carsomyr is intended to be a Holy Avenger weapon, a weapon specifically for paladins.

The introduction of Blackguards adds a twist to the game that on one hand would seem odd for an agent of evil to be wielding a Holy Avenger but at the same time offers the opportunity to add content allowing for the creation of an evil equivalent. No existing weapon in the game can claim to be a diametrically opposed equivalent to Carsomyr. Such a thing must be something newly created.
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    edited December 2012
    There's already an unholy reaver in baldur's gate 2:
    Unholy Reaver

This dark, two-handed sword radiates evil from a distance and is only usable by anti-paladins.

STATISTICS:

THAC0: +5 bonus
    Damage: 1D10 +5
    Damage type: slashing
    Weight: 15
    Speed Factor: 5
    Proficiency Type: Two Handed sword
    Type: 2-handed
    Usable By:
    Anti-paladin
    I guess it would make sense to change Carsomyr usability into "Lawful Good Paladin".
    edited December 2012

There's already an unholy reaver in baldur's gate 2:

Unholy Reaver

This dark, two-handed sword radiates evil from a distance and is only usable by anti-paladins.

STATISTICS:

THAC0: +5 bonus
    Damage: 1D10 +5
    Damage type: slashing
    Weight: 15
    Speed Factor: 5
    Proficiency Type: Two Handed sword
    Type: 2-handed
    Usable By:
    Anti-paladin
    I guess it would make sense to change Carsomyr usability into "Lawful Good Paladin".

Ah I was confusing the weapon being discussed with the Silver Sword and the Soul Reaver weapons. With that said however, the Unholy Reaver a) does not drop in game without modification as far as I know (but i could be misremembering that), b) is nowhere near comparable statwise to Carsomyr and c) as far as the game mechanics are concerned there is no such thing as an "anti-paladin". Being fallen doesn't count and while a Blackguard would be equivalent, again this weapon is an extremely poor substitute for Carsomyr.
    Post edited by Nic_Mercy on
  • KaterinaKaterina Member Posts: 94
    I talked about this weapon Nic I know that the Silver Blade is a Vorpal weapon ....
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    Nic_Mercy said:

Ah I was confusing the weapon being discussed with the Silver Sword and the Soul Reaver weapons. With that said however, the Unholy Reaver a) does not drop in game without modification as far as I know (but i could be misremembering that), b) is nowhere near comparable statwise to Carsomyr and c) as far as the game mechanics are concerned there is no such thing as an "anti-paladin". Being fallen doesn't count and while a Blackguard would be equivalent, again this weapon is an extremely poor substitute for Carsomyr.

As far as I know, the unholy reaver drops from a githyanki when you get back from the underdark. It looks like an ordinary two-handed sword, so it's easy to miss.
    An anti-paladin is a chaotic evil paladin. If I'm not mistaken, those are also the mechanical requirements to use the unholy reaver. I've never played a fallen paladin, so I'm not sure if a fallen paladin actually becomes evil?

I'd appreciate it if the overhaul team would buff this weapon, especially since fallen paladins (non-blackguard paladins) are already pretty underwhelming.
  • dreambleddreambled Member Posts: 48

As far as I know, the unholy reaver drops from a githyanki when you get back from the underdark. It looks like an ordinary two-handed sword, so it's easy to miss.
    An anti-paladin is a chaotic evil paladin. If I'm not mistaken, those are also the mechanical requirements to use the unholy reaver. I've never played a fallen paladin, so I'm not sure if a fallen paladin actually becomes evil?

I'd appreciate it if the overhaul team would buff this weapon, especially since fallen paladins (non-blackguard paladins) are already pretty underwhelming.

It's in the Kuo-Toan Dungeon after you kill the Demon Knights that attack you. I remember that because I remember distinctly not being able to use it :p
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    They don't, unless you go evil during the hell trials which makes you permanently neutral evil, unless you're already evil.

Blackguards are NOT paladins, while BG added them as a paladin kit, and they're thematically related, they're still a completely distinct class from a paladin or even a Fallen Paladin. Technically speaking, the Carsomyr's abilities (The Holy Avenger effect) are actually supposed to a class feature the paladin possesses (and shouldn't have any effect at all if a non-paladin or fallen paladin wielded the sword), not an innate quality of the item aside from being a designated Holy Sword (similarly, the Purifier should have almost identical abilities to Carsomyr when wielded by a paladin).

It would actually be a pretty simple change I imagine. Rogue-rebalancing managed to change the Short-sword of Backstabbing's abilities based on the class of a character rather then simply restricting it to a particular class exclusively.

The PnP holy sword effect is pretty bad ass. ANY holy sword wielded by a paladin can attempt to dispel magic at their class level when attacking, and grants 50% magic resistance, in addition they're flat out immune to direct spells by evil spell casters who are lower level then they are while the sword is equipped. They all deal addition damage vs evil, and sometimes an additional amount vs certain enemies, and will always hit as +5 regardless of their actual enchantment.
    Post edited by ZanathKariashi on
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

Yes! Devs please note!

I don't think corrupting Carsomyr is the way to generate a special weapon for Blackguards, that's inappropriate to the nature of a Holy Avenger. ("The Gods would not permit it!")

Instead, I reckon the Soul Reaver +4 is an appropriate starting point (slightly more so than the Unholy Reaver +5), since it's obtainable by a tough fight in a dungeon, and its THAC0-reduction on every hit is an interesting evil ability. However, it needs some more special abilities to be an evil counterpart to Carsomyr. Not just an exact mirror-image of Carsomyr, that'd be unimaginative. To avoid interfering with original BG2 content, I suggest making the Soul Reaver upgradeable by Cromwell (perhaps with the addition of some new component found by a class-specific Blackguard quest) to cast Miscast Magic on every hit (for contrast with Carsomyr's Dispel Magic) and confer (say) 100% Fire Resistance whilst equipped (for contrast with Carsomyr's 50% Magic Resistance), and then further upgradeable by Cespenar to become +6 and Vampiric. That'd be a pretty darn mean weapon.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @dreambled You are thinking about the "soul reaver" a completely different sword from the "unholy reaver"

The unholy reaver is basically just a 2-handed sword +5 that only thieves will ever get to use (why they would want to though I don't know). There are other +5 swords that are more useful/usable though including Gram, Psion blade, and Carsomyr, the last of which eventually becomes +6. Unfortunately 2 handed swords become a slightly less good choice in BG2 than they were in BG1 (mainly due to the lack of exceptional ones other than Gram and Carsomyr); whereas the other three 2h melee weapons all get a MAJOR boost in usefulness.
  • dreambleddreambled Member Posts: 48
    Ahhh, I see, thanks for the clarification.

They don't, unless you go evil during the hell trials which makes you permanently neutral evil, unless you're already evil.

Blackguards are NOT paladins, while BG added them as a paladin kit, and they're thematically related, they're still a completely distinct class from a paladin or even a Fallen Paladin. Technically speaking, the Carsomyr's abilities (The Holy Avenger effect) are actually supposed to a class feature the paladin possesses (and shouldn't have any effect at all if a non-paladin or fallen paladin wielded the sword), not an innate quality of the item aside from being a designated Holy Sword (similarly, the Purifier should have almost identical abilities to Carsomyr when wielded by a paladin).

It would actually be a pretty simple change I imagine. Rogue-rebalancing managed to change the Short-sword of Backstabbing's abilities based on the class of a character rather then simply restricting it to a particular class exclusively.

The PnP holy sword effect is pretty bad ass. ANY holy sword wielded by a paladin can attempt to dispel magic at their class level when attacking, and grants 50% magic resistance, in addition they're flat out immune to direct spells by evil spell casters who are lower level then they are while the sword is equipped. They all deal addition damage vs evil, and sometimes an additional amount vs certain enemies, and will always hit as +5 regardless of their actual enchantment.

I understand Blackguards aren't Paladins in truth, but as far as the game engine is concerned they are. That's what made me bring this topic up. As far as the game knows, a Blackguard is just a Paladin with a kit.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    And to answer your question, technically, at the moment, yes they could. But only because the blackguard kit flag doesn't exist in BG2 and thus hasn't been ticked on the sword yet. Importing them to EE does allow Carsomyr and the Purifier to be wielded in their raw non-updated state, but the blackguard kit's flag is also able to be set on the restricted list, which I imagine they will be once EE2 is out since both weapons by description are literally anathema to evil beings.
    edited December 2012

And to answer your question, technically, at the moment, yes they could. But only because the blackguard kit flag doesn't exist in BG2 and thus hasn't been ticked on the sword yet. Importing them to EE does allow Carsomyr and the Purifier to be wielded in their raw non-updated state, but the blackguard kit's flag is also able to be set on the restricted list, which I imagine they will be once EE2 is out since both weapons by description are literally anathema to evil beings.

I agree that seems like it would be the most logical outcome. I do hope we'll see an equivalent weapon for Blackguards though. The idea of a corrupted Carsomyr for Dorn or a Blackguard CHARNAME in an evil party is intriguing.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited January 2013
    I opened up NI to look at the unholy reaver today. Apparently it is more than just a +5 sword. It also dispels on hit and does 5 bonus damage to good characters and makes the wielder immune to charm. If I understand NI interface correctly then the only player character that can use the sword is a chaotic evil half orc F/M/T or paladin. So in other words: no one.
    Edit: It seems I didn't quite understand the dispel effect. It actually dispels magic created by the hit character effecting EVERYONE in the area excluding the party. This dispel also seems to ignore level making it a really powerful dispel I guess. only downside is it does not ignore magic resistance.
    Tresset said:

The unholy reaver is basically just a 2-handed sword +5 that only thieves will ever get to use (why they would want to though I don't know).

Pick up and keep this thing if you have a bard or thief for use any item. The dispel alone is why they would want to use it.
    Post edited by Tresset on
    Tresset said:

I opened up NI to look at the unholy reaver today. Apparently it is more than just a +5 sword. It also dispels on hit and does 5 bonus damage to good characters and makes the wielder immune to charm. If I understand NI interface correctly then the only player character that can use the sword is a chaotic evil half orc F/M/T or paladin. So in other words: no one.
    Edit: It seems I didn't quite understand the dispel effect. It actually dispels magic created by the hit character effecting EVERYONE in the area excluding the party. This dispel also seems to ignore level making it a really powerful dispel I guess. only downside is it does not ignore magic resistance.

Tresset said:

The unholy reaver is basically just a 2-handed sword +5 that only thieves will ever get to use (why they would want to though I don't know).

Pick up and keep this thing if you have a bard or thief for use any item. The dispel alone is why they would want to use it.
    I don't think you understand... "The unholy reaver is basically just a 2-handed sword +5"

It doesn't have any other properties like Carsomyr does. It's just a plain sword +5... thats it. There is no dispel on hit or any other bonuses.