Skip to content

getting the most out of a lightning caster

LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
I'm thinking about creating a BG:EE spellcaster that's fond of casting lightning and using the lightning wand. Because of the friendly fire problem from lightning I think I would try this with a trio of custom PCs. (So that's a main character lightning caster and two characters for thieving, healing, and tanking.) The main character would obviously need gear to ground out the lightning completely. I'd also have to regularly keep the other two characters safe from electricity.

In terms of the build for the main character there's a number of ways to go about it. One thought I had was to try a human Cleric of Talos dualed to Mage. I don't normally play evil (which a Cleric of Talos must be). But I think this could be a very wild ride with such a character: he can just let the lightning fly if he's not concerned about the safety of anyone else.

I'm just thinking of this before heading off to bed. But if anyone has ideas how they might go about this I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Comments

• EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    The Lightning spell is just so erratic you may as well play a Wild Mage and have a little rodeo

Don't forget about Shocking Grasp either :)

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Lightning just takes a lot of practice to use effectively. You just have to bite the bullet and play around with it till you get a feel for throwing them correctly.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

The Lightning spell is just so erratic you may as well play a Wild Mage and have a little rodeo

Don't forget about Shocking Grasp either :)

And the lightning spells you'll get in the second game! I want to suggest getting something that'll boost your resistances above 100%...I could have sworn that would equal damage absorbed as healing? I have a fond memory of healing Shar-Teel through part of Durlag's Tower that way, with a ring of fire resistance and two potions of fire resistance...
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    ....the only new lightning spell in BG2 is chain lightning...which is ridiculously easy to use, but doesn't deal anywhere near as much damage that a well aimed LB can. (Might can count energy blades, since they deal a little bit of electrical damage as well)

The clock of reflection (100% reflects all electrical damage) and the cloak of mirrior (reflects spells [deflects if you have ToB]) allow for making a LB death trap with no safety issues....well..for those 2 characters anyway.

Yes having more the 100% results in a proportional heal for the excess, and applies to physical damage too (and a Barbarian, paladin, or F/C can get like 135% blunt resistance and 105% missile resistance (and 80/85% other resistance) with proper gear/abilities).