Skip to content

Game Freezes when Albert and Ruffie Reunite

rauthikrauthik Member Posts: 7
I keep having a problem when I complete the Albert/Ruffie quest. I find the dog and he follows me back, but when Albert talks to me and transforms, the screen freezes and the game locks up. I'm assuming there is some sort of animation because the side and bottom windows disappear and the whole screen is taken up with the main adventure screen. I can see him transform and then it locks up.

Anyone else having this issue?

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I noticed that the trigger for their leaving is rufie being right next to albert. If there are obstacles in the way they can't get next to each other and the cutscene will get stuck. Try to lead albert and rufie into an open area and it shouldn't get stuck like this.
    rauthik
  • rauthikrauthik Member Posts: 7
    Unfortunately, that didn't do it. I walked around where I knew "Albert" to be and ruffie ran to him as I circled around. He approached me with Ruffie at his side and once he transformed it froze again.

Is there a way to email the company or is the only way to report bugs through this forum?
    This is the place where we go to report bugs. The company has several beta testers who browse the forums here to try to fix bugs that we report. The game's developers occasionally come over here too so that they can see how things are going. Emailing the company would probably be one of the least effective ways to get your bugs fixed.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    rauthik said:

I keep having a problem when I complete the Albert/Ruffie quest. I find the dog and he follows me back, but when Albert talks to me and transforms, the screen freezes and the game locks up. I'm assuming there is some sort of animation because the side and bottom windows disappear and the whole screen is taken up with the main adventure screen. I can see him transform and then it locks up.

Do you mean a hard freeze, or are characters still shifting around, i.e. using their idle animations? The former is probably a bad art asset causing a crash, whereas the latter is a cutscene not completing.
    definitely a hard freeze. The center panel goes full screen (eliminating the side and bottom panels) and the only thing that continues is the background sounds (ie: birds, etc.)
    That doesn't sound like a hard freeze to me. A hard freeze would mean that the application would be "not responding" and you would only be able to close it with a force quit like with ctrl-alt-delete and the task manager. The hud is supposed to disappear for the cutscene so that is normal. Are any of the characters moving around? Like are your party characters still looking around and stretching? Are Albert and Ruffie moving at all? Is there any on screen movement at all from anything? Can you still move the cursor? If you answer yes to any of those questions then I doubt it is a hard freeze and would probably be the cutscene failing to complete.
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    Ruins the aesthetics of such a tender moment
    It's definitely a hard freeze then, as I can answer no to everyone one of those questions and ctl/alt/del is the only way I've been able to close the program. In fact, ending the process in the task manager takes about 3 or 4 tries before it works.
    I've actually emailed the company and got a response fairly quickly. They asked me to send them my dxdiag results, which I did, and they said from that info that it was not a hardware issue and that they were giving the situation over to a scripter to look at. Now I'm just waiting for them to get back to me again.... Here's hoping. In the meantime I've moved on to do other quests and have been having no other issues with the game.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited January 2013
    It is a cutscene freeze (not hard freeze).

I tried to reproduce it in many places but they always poofed away and the cutscene ended safely.
    Anyone else experiences this in the 1.0.2011 (or newer) release?
    rauthiklolien
    Thanx Avenger (and everyone else too!). So, the question is: what do I do? Also, I seem to have spoken too soon. I have Dorn in my party and when I entered the city of Baldur's Gate, we meet up with an enemy of his. Well, I can get through the dialog between them but after I click end dialog on the last sentence a fight breaks out and the same kind of freeze up happens. The enemy is summoning demons and I think that animation is what then is triggering the freeze (as must be the transformation animation with Albert and Ruffie). I'm still waiting (2 days now) to hear back from the company, but now I'm at a point where I cannot continue to play the game.
    edited January 2013
    Hmm. sounds like it could also be an issue with cutscenes. Does the scene with Gorion getting killed still function correctly for you? Or perhaps... Do you have the CLUAConsole enabled? If so try entering the following to see if it crashes the game:
    CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("demnabsu")
    If the game crashes then it must be the animation that crashes the game and not the cutscenes.
    If you don't have the console enabled then see this thread to enable it:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8317/how-to-manually-customize-your-game/p1
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited January 2013
    @rauthik i'm somewhat part of the company. So, i'm trying to determine the problem like @Tresset did. The solution to the problem would be quite different if it is a cutscene freeze or an animation freeze (which i didn't even know would be possible).
    I now tend to believe that it is indeed a hard freeze because of the demon animation. So please try to follow his advice, i think he is on the right track.
    If it is indeed a crash for the animation, maybe a full redownload would fix it.
    Another question: do you have any mods (especially something that would deal with the animations)?
    Well, it seems the problem is solved. Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and time in helping me out here. In case anyone wants to know how it worked out, here's what happened.
    I inserted the lines in the ini file to get the CLUAconsole in the game. However, when I went to start the game, instead of the play button it was a status bar that said "checking files". This got about two thirds of the way through and would hang. After that happening a few times I uninstalled the game (back up my save files first) and went to re-install it. The download process went fine through beamdog and then the button came up to play it in the beamdog interface and everything worked. I'm not going to question it and just continue playing through the beamdog interface. I was able to finish the Albert/Ruffie quest and the fight with Simmeon in the city of Baldur's Gate. Again, thank you to everyone for taking your time to help me out with this issue. :)
    TressetSethDavis