Skip to content

Baldur's gate 3 idea

124»

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Grammarsalad

If I was the one that merged the threads, it looks like I made a mistake.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited July 2012
    @Tanthalas
    Fair enough. It happens.

Edit: is it possible to undo?
    Post edited by Grammarsalad on
  • baldurfan355675466baldurfan355675466 Member Posts: 7
    I also think that a prequel about the story of gorion linked to the bhaalspawn is a good idea, I find it difficult to pursue from throne of bhaal which seems to me an elegant end to the bhaal spawn saga. Maybe it would be interesting to also put in that prequel amelyssan as a main opponent why not? There is a lot that can be developed about the final boss of the saga^^
  • DrayenDrayen Member Posts: 127
    I think starting at lvl40 is a bit too intense for BG3.. id say maybe start a new adventure altogether?

One thing i thought up of, when you finish the game with a romance, you usually have a kid with your romancing character. Perhaps that kid couldve been conceived before your bhaalspawn heritage has been taken off, and even though he has only a slight part of your heritage, it could be enough for someone to do something with it... not enough to resurect bhaal of course, but enough to use that to his advantage.. might be a bit similar to irenicus however.
  • Leaf_EaterLeaf_Eater Member Posts: 71
    BG3 is a sticky scenario, when games reach near perfection such as BG1 and BG2, there becomes 10,000 ways to ruin BG3 and only a few ways to make it live up to its predecessors.
  • jmanreisjmanreis Member Posts: 39
    edited July 2012
    Like BG/IWD I would like to see a game that continues to make sleep/resting not as simple as kneeling anywhere for 5 seconds. I would like to see a game more like IWD w/o a protagonist so anyone in your party can die and require raising.
  • shout27shout27 Member Posts: 89
    In BGEE I really wanted the original rules from BG since it's a enchanced edition not a new game.
    But, about BG3, I'am leaving it completly up to the devs, they are the ones who were brave and passionate to work on BG again.
    BG3 It's a new game and (whatever they decide, 2d,3d,...5d), as long as it's dnd I trust devs to choose the ruleset they find most adequate/fun.
    My only problem with this line of thought is that WotC generally forces developers to follow the most current version of the ruleset that they have released. To blindly do this means that we'll always end up with the system that WotC wants the game to have.

If it were up to me I'd have an official poll to ask which version of the ruleset gamers want to play with and then use that information in my dealings with WotC to either get the ruleset that everyone wants to play included or force WotC to lower the license fee that they want. Because, ultimately, they're the ones who want the developers to code the most recent version of DnD in, and are not necessarily the gamers who will actually be paying for the game. The best part about this option is that it allows the developers to continue to modify the game engine to fix bugs or add modifications that can fix rules discrepancies without worrying about the changes being a waste of time.
    I believe that it would also boost the shelf life of any given game tremendously.

• shout27shout27 Member Posts: 89
    edited July 2012
    Aliteri said:

@brix

I've always meant to ask something to a suitable DnD player and it seems you're it. Is it true that there's a big leap between how much a PC can do between 2E and 3E? As in, characters tend to be more mundane in 2E? This is something I heard once and I wondered if said change of direction would affect a computer game too much, as I have yet to play a DnD CRPG that isn't based on 2E.

Furthermore... how's 5E's spell system?

I can't say really say anything about 4E or 5E, but I have a few things I'd can to say about character differences and capabilities between 2E and 3-3.5E, the first of which is that stat effects were completely revamped (in addition to being able to raise them at certain levels). All bonuses are scaled for an exact effect and the neat bonuses gained by having godly avatar levels in any given stat were removed.
    ex: Constitution at 20 or 21 (which is possible to achieve in 3E) would not grant a regeneration effect.
    ex: Charisma lost the henchmen effect (moreover that system is only available through a feat).
    ex: Int or Wis no longer grants immunity to a given spell. Bonuses, yes, but no immunity.
    ex: Int and Wis now directly 'scale up' the saving throw of any given spell, which is one of the main reasons why casters become broken at an earlier level and with less magical gear than a caster from 2nd ed.

All magical items and artifacts got the 'nuts cut out of them' so to speak. It's obvious enough that any 'mundane' 7th-12th level 2E character with the right gear or skills can kick the shit out of any non-epic level 3rd Ed character that's not a pure casting class (even some epic ones), regardless of the gear being carried IMO.

Pure Fighters were gimped. Period. Most of this comes from WotC trying to balance the other classes around them and then gimping the extras that the same WotC decided to give them (tower shields in particular). They also cut the nuts out of Weapon Specialization. It no longer makes anywhere near as much of a difference and cuts into their feats as well, most of which have no chance at all of matching the power of class granted abilities (I think some of this was changed with splat books, but all those new feats applied to the other fighter types as well in general, so it doesn't really change anything).

Clerics/Druids became even more powerful than they were in 2E, no longer being bound to specific weapon uses by a vow but still keeping their effective weapon ability. Granted that you have to expend at least a little bit of effort to get access to a particular chosen weapon. Or spend a level on Fighter to get all martial weapons.

As noted before, there's a skill system in place. I don't mind that it costs extra to get a given skill that's not part of your class set, or that the rogue can do more with a few skills than others as a class power, but the most irritating thing is that the maximum for any given non-class skill is half that of any class skill. This has never made sense to me other than as a method for forcing players to have a party of different classes to cover all bases.

Other differences: HP dice doesn't max out, both magic types max out at level ten (instead of 9 or 7) which means that clerics can obtain Heal and Mass Heal, more direct rolls against another person's skills when thieving, all caster classes get bonus spells for a high casting stat, only three saving throw types exist, there's probably more but I'm runing on blank thoughts at the moment. Oh, and no THACO, everyone gets a variable bonus to hit and have to exceed 10 +/- defenses of which there are three general classifications: Flat-footed, Touch, Normal.
  • LRECLREC Member Posts: 68
    I hope that when they make BG3 (fingers crossed), they create a new engine. I love the graphics of the BG and BG2, but I would love to see a more modern-style.

I liked the idea they used when they were considering making BG3: Black Dog or whatever it was called, when you were followed by part of your soul (I can't remember exactly).

What about if it's set where gods walk the Earth again, and the protagonist from the first 2 is forced to come back? That's all I have hahaha