Skip to content

Why is the Katana so expensive!?

Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
edited January 2013 in Not An Issue
Yes, I am convinced that this is a bug and even my little brother agrees with me.

The very first katana you encounter in this game is available in Winthrop's store for 750 gold!? (635 with high charisma + reputation discounts). What the... And don't even try to tell me that this is a flavor or Kara-Turan lore thing. From my memory, the katanas available in Baldur's Gate II were nowhere near this expensive and you could commonly loot them from defeated enemies for free.

This looks VERY much like someone punched in an extra 0 and that the original price was meant to be more around 75 GP. Scimitar, Wakizashi, Two-handed Sword, and Heavy Crossbow all fall under this same price category. Considering the katana is no better than any of the other swords that you can buy for 10 times cheaper, this looks to be a consistency bug.

I can't get the game to take a screenshot, but trust me when I say that the same price is there every game.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• DreamingViksDreamingViks Member Posts: 87
    You might want to check the Katanas stats, its far superior than the other weapons. Im afraid its not a bug :/
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    While it's debatable whether it ought to cost that much, I'm afraid that this is not a bug.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    Yupp.. I also guess, that it is no bug, but it's too expensive nevertheless.. In the 2nd Ed. rules supplement "The Complete Fighter's Handbook", their price is listed with 100 gp.
    @Kurumi
    Do the other items in the game follow the prices found in the rulebooks? (I get the feeling that this post sounds sarcastic, but I'm genuinely curious)
    edited January 2013
    TJ_Hooker said:

@Kurumi
    Do the other items in the game follow the prices found in the rulebooks? (I get the feeling that this post sounds sarcastic, but I'm genuinely curious)

Well, perhaps not 100% accurate either, but at least most are much closer to the rulebooks.. for example the Wakizashi.. 50 gp (TCFH).. the short sword 10 gp (PHB).. Bastard Sword 25 gp (PHB).. Composite Longbow 100 gp (PHB).. etc.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Katanas are expensive cause they are DA BEST SHINY SWORD IN DA GAME !

Have you not watched Kill Bill ?

I would gladly pay 1000gp for a Katana. If only Winthrop could sell two of the darn things... I would have to kill everyone in the keep and then sell their armour... But it would be worth it...
    Anduin said:

Katanas are expensive cause they are DA BEST SHINY SWORD IN DA GAME !

Have you not watched Kill Bill ?

I would gladly pay 1000gp for a Katana. If only Winthrop could sell two of the darn things... I would have to kill everyone in the keep and then sell their armour... But it would be worth it...

Ya.. I'd pay that, too.. but only for a "Hattori Hanzo" ;P lol ..
  • ToySoldierManToySoldierMan Member Posts: 16
    I play a Human Kensai (Lawful Good) with Katana focus. Up until the 3rd patch or so... I was able to kill 2 guards after they were called and attacked me first for taking the healing potion in the hospital and taking the treasure from the Noble's chest on the 2nd floor at the Inn.

Sold their armor w/o taking a reputation hit in the beginning of the game. But I dont think you can do that anymore with the patches... felt GREAT starting with a Katana with Single Weapon style.

I went back to start again with 2 weapon style and NOW I get hit with the reputation penalty trying to repeat the same thing. Sucks...

I did find the Katana +1 in the Cloakwood Mine.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Looking at what people said in this thread... Yeah, something seems fishy here. Even if someone didn't tap in that zero by mistake it seems like an extremely arbitrary high prize to put it at. At that price, why is it even available in Candlekeep? It's not like anyone can afford it at that point, not even by purchasing only that sword. Other items you have no chance of buying, like halfplate or plate armour, aren't offered there, so why katanas? What's the point?
    Well, it is still possible to get it. A thief could steal it, or if they have high enough lock pick, nab the star sapphire from the second floor of the inn, which should give them enough money to buy it. You could also take the reputation hit and just kill guards and sell their armour.

Not saying it's really practical, but it is possible.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I found it frustrating, too, but I never checked the stats. If memory serves, it is equivalent to a bastards sword, but a little faster. Anyway, the game (BG:EE) effectively punishes you for chosing the uchigatana as your weapon.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    edited January 2013
    Supply and demand.

Katanas are rare on the sword coast.

No point to taking katanas in BG1 over longswords.

Katana + 1 (end of cloakwood mines): 2-11 damage + 1 to hit
    Varscona (can get way earlier than katana+1) 3-10 damage + 1 cold damage (4-11) +2 to hit

@reedmilfam

Katanas are 1d10. They are basically two handed swords that you can wield in one hand.
    edited January 2013
    It would be nice to have this as an option for Kensai... even if it is the ONLY thing they can afford after completing all the tasks and the low hanging fruit treasure grabs at Candlekeep.
    Call me a bad guy but I used the Shadow Keeper program to equip my Human Kensai with 2 Katana's at the start of my game. It was originally designed for Baldur's Gate 2 but seems to work just fine with BGEE.
    edited February 2013
    *** Most Ogre Magi now wield Katanas *** I just saw this in the latest patch (22 Feb). I'm replaying BGEE after reaching Baldur's Gate. I encountered at least 2 Ogre Magi up to that point.
  • Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    edited February 2013
    Kurumi said:

Yupp.. I also guess, that it is no bug, but it's too expensive nevertheless.. In the 2nd Ed. rules supplement "The Complete Fighter's Handbook", their price is listed with 100 gp.

Kurumi said:

TJ_Hooker said:

@Kurumi

Well, perhaps not 100% accurate either, but at least most are much closer to the rulebooks.. for example the Wakizashi.. 50 gp (TCFH).. the short sword 10 gp (PHB).. Bastard Sword 25 gp (PHB).. Composite Longbow 100 gp (PHB).. etc.
    You literally just got done saying that the katana costs 100 GP in the rulebook, then you immediately said that the composite longbow costs 100 GP too. Those same costs correspond to 75 GP and 750 GP in the game. And you guess that's not a bug?

Obviously you can't even count to 100 because this is a 1000% difference. ALL of the other weapons correspond to or very near to the PHB prices and they always have... except this one. The katana doesn't even cost this much in Baldur's Gate 2. Nobody in the entire history of Baldur's Gate is going to blow 700 gold on what is considered to be AT BEST an above average sword just so they can use the weapon they want to be proficient in at the beginning of the game.

I just can't believe I live in a world where all the Baldur's Gate fanboys are so blinded by their fanatical devotion to the game that they can't even make out an extra 0 that someone typed into the price. THIS IS A BUG. By every definition of the word "bug."

I'm still bringing it up because I'm still seeing this crap even in patch 7.
  • Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    edited February 2013
    Madhax said:

Learn how to show some respect for the human beings who develop this game.

Respect is earned, not given.

I got no respect for cash cowing a 15 year old classic game, begging for money through kickstarter programs, then delaying it for 3 months exactly 4 days before the original release date, and finally releasing a buggy unplayable mess.

7 patches later, I'm still seeing major bugs and crashing. Several old quests are now broken and the new ones still don't work properly. Every single patch just ends up breaking more and more stuff without fixing the important things. In fact, it's very similar to the QA teams at Turbine and Arena.Net. They come up with a patch, don't bother to step through or test their code, and release it to the public in what can be considered "beta" status. They end up creating more problems than they solve and people get mad.

I'm not resorting to mods just to make my game playable the way it was supposed to be. It's a waste of my time and it's not my job. The videogame industry is a very competitive one and we expect better in 2013. We deserve better. There's no room for "release our game prematurely; fix and add the rest of the content later." For 20$, I can get two really good, really fun games off GoG: Baldur's Gate - The Original Saga and... I dunno... Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - Complete Edition or something. And I'm gonna enjoy them a heck of a lot more than this game because they won't have any new bugs or annoying features. If Overhaul wants to stay in the loop, they really need to step it up and NOW. They've burned through just about all of their customers' patience at this point.

My little brother has appropriately named this game Baldur's Gate: Crashing Edition.
    @Madhax - Really? Trolls can't help what they are. I agree with your rebuke, but suspect that it fell on deaf ears!

I'm another player that is discouraged that the katana is all but unattainable in the beginning of Candlekeep (without murdering innocents to get enough cash to buy it - actions that would lower reputation and make it even more expensive. However, I realized (long ago) that the developers are not making BG:EE for the singular me. Neither this real, nor that fantasy, world revolve around me.

I think the justification for the cost is that the uchigatana (aka dai-to, katana) will not break. It's made of superior metal and, therefore, not subject to the kobold-ridden slop that is mined in Nashkell. (Anybody else suspect the suspcious green fluid is kobold urine?)

Anyway, I've only had crashes on the first few days of release (something with map transitions, if I remember truthfully), and generally had few problems with BG:EE. I'm admittedly troubled by the odd bug or two, but find that, overall, it does what I need it to do.
    Harmless side-thought - a disagree and dislike button would be nice. I know, it would cause hurt feelings. Waah. Sometimes, it's downright appropriate (even somewhat necessary)!
  • TurcamTurcam Member Posts: 26
    Maybe it helps if we all start to Completely Ignore all of wraith_sarevoks posts from now on... :)
    I know i will...
  • LordVultureLordVulture Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2013

I just can't believe I live in a world where all the Baldur's Gate fanboys are so blinded by their fanatical devotion to the game that they can't even make out an extra 0 that someone typed into the price. THIS IS A BUG. By every definition of the word "bug."

not by these:

Also called true bug, hemipteran, hemipteron. a hemipterous insect.
    (loosely) any insect or insectlike invertebrate.
    Informal. any microorganism, especially a virus: He was laid up for a week by an intestinal bug.

Informal.
    a.
    a person who has a great enthusiasm for something; fan or hobbyist: a hi-fi bug.
    b.
    a craze or obsession: He's got the sports-car bug.

To me personally a 700 Gold rare Kua-Toa weapon is way more believeable than 75 Gold, as a DM i wouldn't have given my group one cheaper.
    Actually i wouldn't have given them this weapon at all, since it does not fit the Faerun setting whatsoever.

I agree with everything Madhax said.