Skip to content

Damage calculations are wrong (BG1, BG2, and EE)

Just noticed earlier while trying to figure out which bonuses are being multiplied on a backstab. There's a hidden damage bonus being added to damage that shouldn't be there.

I used a 10 str thief, with * in daggers, and was consistently hitting for 6+ damage on every hit. That can't happen as there should be no damage bonuses and thus the damage can literally only be 1-4.

And it's not just EE, I went back to try and do my tests in BG1 and 2 instead and found the same problem.

The calculation in the inventory is correct for what it should be, but the actual damage dealt is way off.

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited January 2013
    So this is an ordinary theif (not swashbuckler or anything) doing over 6 damage with a dagger? And the strength and proficiency gives no bonus/penalty? How odd. I shall repeat this test to see what happens...

Having tested this I have a new question: What creatures were you attacking when you did this test? I noticed that, for some reason, rat2.cre takes about 8 damage each hit before damage resistance; Obe's gibberlings take expected damage.

Ok. further testing seems to indicate that this only happens when attacking uber weak creatures such as commoners and rats. Seems like against such pitiful enemies you get a +4 bonus to damage though I am not sure why or if this is intentional. I think it probably is intentional though. Perhaps try testing your damage output on Obe's illusions next time. Their creature files have names like igibber or ihobgob or iskelet. Run the test on those guys and see if the problem is resolved.
    Post edited by Tresset on
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Tested on party members, the ogre with the two belts, some commoners in Candlekeep, Firebead in Candlekeep, Firebead in Beregost, Silke, a few random guards, Marl.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Did you do bonus damage to all of them? I tested out some of the characters you mentioned and only commoners took extra damage.