Just FYI...

The Beginning: 1998-1999

TEAMBG Members and tools they created.

1 Ken Baker - Programmer, Data Discovery and Webmaster

Character Editor
Creature Overrides Editor
Store Overrides Editor
Website

Ken started TeamBG, ran the site and made the 'Character Control' (for Character and Creature editing), 'Godlike', 'BG Rules Editor', and 'TeamBG AI Scriptor' programs, discovered many of the unofficial cheat codes listed in the Cheat Codes document here, discovered many other of the early findings including the -1 xpcap to disable the xpcap.

2 Corak - Programmer and Data Discovery

Biffstripper Lite
Biffstripper Pro
ItemTextEditor
ItemTextEditor
Item Overrides Editor

3 Mikal - Data Discovery and Testing

Spell Overrides Data Discovery
Custom Spell and Creature Item Overrides Creation

4 Arcana (Robbie Powell) - GUI Enhancements and Help Files

Help File for Character Editor

5 CuChoinneach

DSotSC - Dark Side of the Sword Coast (1st Mod/Add-On)
This is the first unofficial expansion for BG/TotSC. It is aimed at a 9-12th level party. Includes 5 major quests, more powerful monsters, over 30 new areas, 100 new spells, over 70 new critters, 80 new weapons, armor and other items, 9 New NPCs to join your group, enhanced Original BG Quests and Encounters, experience cap raised to 20 million, and Level 40 rules pack is included (instead of the level 20 rules that come with BG/TotSC).

CuChoinneach was the guy who pulled together the first team to create the first Mod for BG, Dark Side of the Sword Coast. He recruited several people to help out, including Grog who had the original concept for the project, Banelord and many others. He designed all the quests and NPCs (except Jetlaya created by Grog) and items as well. Story was developed by CuChoinneach and Roach. DSotSC was originally released in 1999. DSotSC was created with the tools available at the time and hex editing!

Original Credits here: http://www.dsotsc.net/credits.html
ParysEdwinmlneveseArchaicIllustairStargazer5781SCARY_WIZARD

Comments

• GoddardGoddard Member Posts: 134
    edited January 2013
    Mad props to you guys. I used all those tools. In fact is was editing BG/Clans that made me get into Computer Science. I learned all the skills I have now because I was making websites for clans and figuring out how the game worked.

I didn't even have to go to school hahha.

Thanks for that.
    Illustair
  • CuChoinneachCuChoinneach Member Posts: 105
    Cool! ;)
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I made some of my first items with those, ItemTextEditor, Item Overrides Editor. Shows how long I've been around. ;)
    I really miss those days... it was a lot of fun doing something that many said couldn't be done. Not much enthusiasm from BioWare in those days either... but had it not been for TeamBG I dare say, BG might not still be as popular as it is. Just my humble opinion. I also remember the excitement from Ken when I told him we finally had a real unofficial mod/expansion for BG!
    You guys would love to have the tools they have now. would have made it easier.
  • TschakongTschakong Member Posts: 25
    Hey Guys, i appreciate really the work of all modders.

But BG1 is rather colorless in comparison with BG2. BG2 was an epic RPG, because of the very good written character interactions. The great story was rounded with such character depths that have never seen before in a PC game. BG2 is like a good book, where you can make your own choices.

I must say, that i have never played your expansion. I will do this, once it is released for BGEE. But the only thing i really miss, are character banters. I think that's something your mod can't offer to me. In my opinion that's what makes a game epic, feeling with the characters in a RPG. Neither Dragon Age nor other RPG games of newer time gave me this feeling, like BG2 did with the colorful chars and beautiful NPC modding work.

I am sure, that without Baldurs Gate 2, the first game won't be that popular. But modding should make a game more "rounded" and deep, like many mods have done. So not modding teams are the reason why BG is that much popular. It's because of BG2. It's just my opinion, don't take this the wrong way. Can't miss some mods in BG2, because they make the game so much more complete.
    Tschakong, when we did DSotSC, we actually did want to put banters in... we had the dialog but didn't know enough yet of how to activate it. I understand that DSotSC actually does have banters now as later modders were able to uncover the treasure. I'm sure there is room for more and may look into it myself at some point or assist anyone willing to take it on.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    One of the things that bother me about DSotSC were the NPCs. They felt so misplaced for many reasons, one of which being the fact that those with last names have them in their character name file:

Rather than just having him as Bub or Bardo it has the full name: NPCS DONT DO THAT!

Also, their stats tend to be either rediculously good and powergamey or entirely underwhelming. Either way, they just don't feel like they mesh well.

Also, characters with the same name as the author... I don't know, DSotSC felt odd and not quite in the good sense of the term.
  • SelabocSelaboc Member Posts: 64
    Dazzu said:

Also, their stats tend to be either rediculously good and powergamey or entirely underwhelming. Either way, they just don't feel like they mesh well.

I didn't think they were too bad (except for the damn dog :) ) I particularily liked Keira and Jet, and every playthough I'd keep atleast one of those two in the party, whereas the other would only stick around for a short time until I needed to kick someone out to make room for the next NPC that you find.
    Dazzu said:

Also, characters with the same name as the author... I don't know, DSotSC felt odd and not quite in the good sense of the term.

I've always felt that that added to the charm of DSotSC. different strokes i guess.
    Wait, a common Mary Sue trait of using the author's name adds CHARM?

... kay!
    Really?
    Well that's from what I remember from a much earlier rendition. What really drove me away was an OP as heck club that shot poisonous darts at +5 and had no save! I believe it was this mod in question.
    Hmmm... don't recall such a OP club as that... don't think it was this mod.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    The only thing I din't like in that mod the first time I played was to be forced to take some NPCs in the group to complete the story line. The first time I hadn't planned for it, the second I was ready :)
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    edited January 2013
    ...and the lord said, 'let there be override and behold there was override and it was good...'
    swnmcmlxiIllustair
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    Only played the BGT version but I like it a lot, especially the 2 final encounters.

Some things I dislike of course, as mlnevese pointed out the fact that you HAVE to take Jet'Laya in the party to even start the adventure sucks. The massive reuse of the same maps over and over in the last dungeon is a pain too but I realize how hard it is to make new areas that fit well and how it probably was unfeasible aback then.

Never really tried the other NPCs, they all seem a bit out of place or plain overpowered. Pretty sure the BGT version has some interparty banters.
    When we created DSotSC, one of the things we wanted to do was to shake things up a bit. By having to take Jet to start the add-on it meant you needed to make some choices. This is not uncommon practice for a DM in the world of PnP. Basically, you don't take the chance with the new NPC, you don't get the quest. That is also why we started out at FAI (Friendly Arm Inn) so you could always come back and get who you left behind. And the quest were strung together in a series of events... Get Jet's sisters necklace, get a favor from her uncle, get the dragon quest from the priest, get a favor from him, which leads to you getting the Mace of Disruption created, which was helpful in Vampire quest. Also, regarding the vampire quest, my original idea was to have you fight the vampire, but then he escapes, and you encounter him later in yet another quest (or several others...maybe even in BG2).

Yes, unfortunately, we did not have the means to create new areas, so we had to reuse existing ones. The drow quest was long because it was the last, we didn't want you to run into drow too soon, and we wanted to give the idea that you were going down, down, down deep. Sadly, what I really wanted was to be able to have you go into the underdark, but underground mines were all we had.

Some NPCs had some special abilities (like fighting undead) to help out with certain quests... and yes, it is extremely difficult to make it all balance out. We were adding new NPCs, new spells, new items, new quests, and increasing the difficulty of existing quests, so yes, balancing became tricky.

But, hey, remember... DSotSC was the very first one. Nobody else had done it yet and we were breaking ground. So yes, I admit it could be better... and maybe we may see some improvements come in the days to come... who knows?
    mlnevese
    CoM_Solaufein has actually been working on getting DSotSC updated for BG:EE and we have been in discussion on making some improvments... so, we will see.
    mlneveseCerevant
    edited January 2013
    Yes first I have to get it to work properly. Then we can focus on improvements, additions and restoring cut content. ;)
    Post edited by CoM_Solaufein on
    mlnevese
    ;)
    Can you have it so the NPCs at least don't have their surnames in their name file?
    Illustair
    We will see... ;)
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    is this just self advertising or did i miss the real message?
    Just a little history on the beginning of BG Modding...and we are in the works of updating DSotSC for BG:EE
    AsthnerSelaboc
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    Yes ;), we will see ;)... ;);)... Sorry, nervous twitch... ;)
  • PaheejPaheej Member Posts: 126
    Out of curiosity what do you guys do for a living now?

I ran a mod team for a mod for C&C (command and conquer) back in the day. 4 out of the 6 of us ended up in the gaming industry (oddly as the team lead - I did not, instead I became and Army Officer, and now an Operations Director in the private sector).

But just curious if you guys had the same "catalyst effect" for jobs in the gaming industry as we did. Also even though I make more money and have more responsibility than I did then - I have to empathize with the sentiment "I really miss those (modding) days."
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Working for a living is never the same as working for fun...
    IchigoRXC
    Paheej said:

Out of curiosity what do you guys do for a living now?... Also even though I make more money and have more responsibility than I did then - I have to empathize with the sentiment "I really miss those (modding) days."

I work as a UI Designer. We create digital gauges for the marine, off-road and off-highway industry. I have also worked as a Web Designer.

But, I hear ya... I do miss those (modding) days.

No awesome gaming job for me. I work in a dirty hot factory.