Skip to content

Canonical charname class?

13»

Comments

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited January 2013
    1370 - Year of the Tankard: Trade between the sea folk of the Sea of Fallen Stars and ports along the Inner Sea, increases sharply in the aftermath of a great undersea war. The Tethyrian city of Saradush is destroyed by a Child of Bhaal. The Shaking Plague decimates Scardale. War in Southern Amn as Ogre mages and their minions ally with the temple of Cyric. The Bhaalspawn Crisis comes to an end and Bhaal's divine essence is sealed away in the Upper planes. Fzoul Chembryl forges the Sceptor of the Tyrant's Eye. Manshoon is slain by Fzoul and the Zhentarim purged of Manshoon's supporters, giving Fzoul control over most of the organization. Several clones of Manshoon awake at once and create havoc as each tries to claim the Zhent wizard's possessions and place.

^ FR campaign setting.
  • MykraMykra Member Posts: 252
    Madhax said:

Obviously, Mykra knows that and doesn't care. Neither do I.

Haha, that reminds me of a song lyric. 'Johnny knew the difference between right and wrong. Johnny just didn't give a eff.'

I believe that the entire Bhaalspawn events are FR canon, however I do not believe that Adrian is the canon Bhaalspawn. Unlike how Lucas did with Knights of the Old Republic, I don't believe Bioware ever will list a canon Bhaalspawn, instead falling on the old 'The canon Charname was yours, obviously' method.

• ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited January 2013

Mykra said:

Canon-wise Abdel Adrian is a Fighter, its in one of the old Dragon's.

Those abominations of books do not exist in this dojo.

I am not talking about those-that-we-do-not-speak-of-here, i am talking about Dragon Magazine, plus GHotR.

"Abdel Adrian" is canon. SO either concede, or have them print a brand new copy of "Grand History of the Realms" with a new name in its spot, and have it sent to me.
    I meant canon according to the game, not the FR setting. As I mentioned the canonical party from BG 1.

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Sorceror for sure. Bard makes some sense too.
    Quartz said:

Sorceror for sure. Bard makes some sense too.

Sorcerer is definitely an easy fit, and one of my only two playthroughs I was able to beat ToB with

• WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    How can Sorceror be canon for BG1 when it wasn't even offered until BG2?
    Wanderon said:

Good point, but makes a lot of sense in BGEE.

• WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418

Wanderon said:

Good point, but makes a lot of sense in BGEE.

Well it might if "canon" didn't infer this was so from the beginning...

• Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437

"Abdel Adrian" is canon. SO either concede, or have them print a brand new copy of "Grand History of the Realms" with a new name in its spot, and have it sent to me.

Are there any indices' for Abdel Adrian's existence before Bioware created their game?
    Roller12 said:

Are there any indices' for Abdel Adrian's existence before Bioware created their game?
    No, Adrian was created by Philip Athans for the companion novel from scratch. I don't have any proof about the next bit, but it's my belief that the guideline he worked on for the book had to be an early script of the game as it's just too inconsistent - or out and out wrong - about the events of the game, much less the actual people, to be considered canon.

As a sort of easter egg, Bioware included a save in TotSC with the name Abdel (But one that didn't match up to the description/information of the character) from the novel. Bioware themselves (Drew Karpyshyn, who actually wrote the third entry into the series) said he couldn't be considered canon, nor the resolution of the story, because they had too many alternate endings and plot pathways that the only way they could make it work would be like Superman punching time.

So, the Bhaalspawn Saga actually happened, but Abdel Adrian wasn't there because the door was intentionally left open that each and every one of our PC's was the 'canon' Bhaalspawn, and the resolution was left murky so that our choice was the only one that mattered in the Realms to us.

I still like discussing what would make most sense as a canonical selection (Human Priest or Mage/Sorc imo) even though I'm 100% open to the fact that any choice is the right one with how they set the story up. But those novels were so bad man, so very bad.

Mykra said:

Roller12 said:

No, Adrian was created by Philip Athans for the companion novel from scratch. I don't have any proof about the next bit, but it's my belief that the guideline he worked on for the book had to be an early script of the game as it's just too inconsistent - or out and out wrong - about the events of the game, much less the actual people, to be considered canon.

As a sort of easter egg, Bioware included a save in TotSC with the name Abdel (But one that didn't match up to the description/information of the character) from the novel. Bioware themselves (Drew Karpyshyn, who actually wrote the third entry into the series) said he couldn't be considered canon, nor the resolution of the story, because they had too many alternate endings and plot pathways that the only way they could make it work would be like Superman punching time.

So, the Bhaalspawn Saga actually happened, but Abdel Adrian wasn't there because the door was intentionally left open that each and every one of our PC's was the 'canon' Bhaalspawn, and the resolution was left murky so that our choice was the only one that mattered in the Realms to us.

I still like discussing what would make most sense as a canonical selection (Human Priest or Mage/Sorc imo) even though I'm 100% open to the fact that any choice is the right one with how they set the story up. But those novels were so bad man, so very bad.

My thoughts exactly, summed up more eloquently and detailed than I could :)

• LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615

Mykra said:

Canon-wise Abdel Adrian is a Fighter, its in one of the old Dragon's.

Those abominations of books do not exist in this dojo.

I am not talking about those-that-we-do-not-speak-of-here, i am talking about Dragon Magazine, plus GHotR.

I meant canon according to the game, not the FR setting. As I mentioned the canonical party from BG 1.

Oh, that was my misunderstanding. Im sorry.

But, yes looking at just the game, everything is too open-ended to really think of an official one.

But as far as the "canon" party goes, it would balance the party out nicely to have a cleric of Oghma (I also have a believe that gorion was a dualed cleric/mage and not just a pure mage)
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    there is no canon, and there are no books. period.

but personally, I'd roll with FMT, let's say half-elven, because even though I play one, with elves the whole "growing up together with a human" part might be a wee bit stretching it.
    why? when you got divine blood in your veins and are basically super-human from the get-go (and which CHARNAME isn't?), you sure as shit aren't gonna focus only on only a single way to succeed in life.
  • mortalitymortality Member Posts: 8
    I always liken BG to LOTR (obviously plenty of differences, but between the mage getting you into it and dying and the taint that's slowly threatening to consume you I think it fits), so a hafling thief or thief/fighter would work.

I did a Cavalier once, I suppose it would make sense if you go from the perspective that Gorion did a damn good job and his death steeled you against the taint.

Sorc would work too for the reasons mentioned above.

I feel that if it's going to be a melee fighter, and potentially even other types, it would have to at the very least be a chaotic one. I do think the essence, if not making you evil, should sway CHARNAME from being too much of a goody two shoes (the Paladin example aside).
  • UnknownQuantityUnknownQuantity Member Posts: 242
    I guess we all have our preconceived ideas.

I never thought it was strange to have a good Baal spawn. Charname could easily fight against his/her bad side like all people do in real life IMO. It's just a matter of how strong willed and stubborn Charname is.

Ever since I learned Charname was a brother/sister to Imoen I have used her as a comparison to base my own character for right or wrong. Usually I pick a human that looks at least somewhat similar to her. Gerrick's portrait is usually my choice. I also feel a need to out do her in everything since we are both Baal spawn which includes charisma (cheezy as it is) and magic.

Now that I'm older I don't feel those compulsions as much. I was once against Paladin's for the lawful stupid aspect. I was heavily into the Drizzt books back then and didn't like characters who were so quick to make a judgement. Now I kind of enjoy the black and white aspect of the class. Games and movies now seem to try and make everything complicated these days in terms of good and evil. There is always a gray area in between. While this is true in real life it's just a game. Keeping things simple can make it more enjoyable.

I still don't enjoy role playing an evil character. I can play a neutral character, but evil just puts me off for some reason. With that said it makes a lot of sense for a Baalspawn to be evil.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I think fighter is a great choice. You get your Bhaalspawn powers and fighter enables an epic confrontation with Sarevok much better than a sorcerer for example - IMO. Of course, the class description of sorcerer is what most of you are probably thinking of when you say it's a great fit. I don't disagree.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Fighter/mage

Mage part - Candlekeep, Gorion, Elminster Aumar(friend of Gorion), Khelben Blackstaff(friend of Gorion), mystical magical powers - Time Stop, Improved Alacrity, Dragon's Breath, Comet, Wish(godlike skills)...

Fighter part - Bhaal, rage, the taint within, strength and leadership...
  • keltarkingkeltarking Member Posts: 53
    Human fighter. Short and sweet. Lorewise, humans have the most ambition and the most potential (thus why they can be any class they damn well please), plus they screw like rabbits compared to the other races so they're all over the place. And fighter because the spawn of the Lord of Murder has got to feel (and either suppress or embrace, given your alignment of choice) some violent tendencies. lol
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302

why? when you got divine blood in your veins and are basically super-human from the get-go (and which CHARNAME isn't?), you sure as shit aren't gonna focus only on only a single way to succeed in life.

Except every other Bhaalspawn you meet is focused on one class. Maybe taking Imoen aside. Also none of them have noteworthy special powers above the ones their class offers. They are just very good at their class.

Alternatively, Charname might be a teacher's pet, impressing his tutors by rising in the priesthood of Oghma. After the various hardships of BG1, though, he will seek power independently. (Dual-class to mage.)

I love Divine Remix, but I've always had a problem with the Charname being a specialty priest of another God. It does make sense that (s)he'd end up in Oghma, Denier, or Mystra's flock growing up in Candlekeep, I have always like the idea of him being almost a Sorcerer-Cleric. He receives his spells almost instinctively instead of by communion, or at least perceives it that way, when in reality Bhaal is feeding him the power without most having any clue of it.

Kind of like having the charname an unknowing Deathstalker, somewhat like Amelyssan.
  • hammernanvilhammernanvil Member Posts: 98
    Although just because you grew up in a sheltered keep does not mean you did not have any skills. It was pretty common in the old days even for nobles to learn sword fighting and archery, obviously you could have learned magic... definately learned thievery being around imoen, shes a bad example...
    Mykra said:

Alternatively, Charname might be a teacher's pet, impressing his tutors by rising in the priesthood of Oghma. After the various hardships of BG1, though, he will seek power independently. (Dual-class to mage.)

I love Divine Remix, but I've always had a problem with the Charname being a specialty priest of another God. It does make sense that (s)he'd end up in Oghma, Denier, or Mystra's flock growing up in Candlekeep, I have always like the idea of him being almost a Sorcerer-Cleric. He receives his spells almost instinctively instead of by communion, or at least perceives it that way, when in reality Bhaal is feeding him the power without most having any clue of it.

Kind of like having the charname an unknowing Deathstalker, somewhat like Amelyssan.
    Yes, NWN 2 had the favored soul class in mask of the betrayer. It might also have its beginning in a 3rd ed sourcebook, not sure. A favored soul of bhaal is how I view charname in a lot of ways. Would also be awesome to cast divine spells as a sorcerer

• ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Roller12 said:

excuse my ignorance, but who the hell is Abdel The Human.

An asshole preteding to be a hero.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

Roller12 said:

excuse my ignorance, but who the hell is Abdel The Human.

An asshole preteding to be a hero.
    To clarify
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mc1puaoRzg
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    Everyone knows charname is a Halfling Wizardslayer...