Skip to content

A question about Baldur's Gate 4 in 1 boxset

I want to play a full easy tutu playthrough but I have a question that is blocking me: I have to patch the games or no? Are they already fully patched? Thanks to all.

Comments

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I bought this version. Coming relatively late to BG. You need to patch them. The patches can be found at G3 here http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?s=66415b465d043310dcd5f6701ac919f9&app=downloads&showfile=901 and from Sorcerers place http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_misc.php

Be aware that many mods do not like the last ToB patch as it was buggy... ToB patch 24698 is all good though.
    Why don't you get a completely bugless version and buy BG:EE.

It is not completely bug free YET. But it is far more bug free than the box set. (I should know I got it...)
  • griever0483griever0483 Member Posts: 129
    Thanks @Anduin !
    @Anduin I have just finished BG EE. Now i want try some mods ;)
    @griever0483 Can I seriously suggest the Baldurs Gate Trilogy megamod. Find and read up about it (in german, just use google translate) at this link. http://baldurs-gate.eu/downloads.php?id=2 This will install a 100+ mods automatically. You can opt for english only I believe. Go for the recommended install first as the FULL install is insane. I have never completed much into Shadows of Amn with all the mods as it adds hours and hours of gameplay. Usually, the slowdown due to so many flags would make me stop (this was fixed with tobex so you have no excuse!)

Oh this is all automatic. It downloads AND installs. You just need to leave it to do it's business over night.
    Download and install? Sweet!
    I installed and configured BG 1 & 2 and expansions as Big world english.pdf said.
    It required hours, because i encountered many many problems... but NOW... which kind of installation do you recommend me @Anduin ? I would like new content, harder battles but no bug or poor made mod...
    @griever0483 Run big world setup. The menu is pretty self explanatory. There should be a pull down menu with languages and then a menu with the options, basic, recommended, standard, tactic and expert.

Basic adds BGT and the visual / game fixes.

Recommended adds all the fixes and the recommended bug free, best mods!

Standard adds all mods without bugs, although this means lots of cheesy overpowered weapons, spells and also over the top battles that will give you too much xp.

Tactics adds the standard but also some really OVERTHETOP insane battles. It will also make the standard battles harder. You will need to reload often. Too often. I enjoyed this at first, but it gets tiresome. Some players (who are on their thirtieth play through) swear by it though.

Expert loads every mod possible. Bugs and crashes are to be expected as the norm.

Seriously. Try recommended first. Great fun.
    Thanks @Anduin ... you are great! I have only a last question... how can I know the list of the mods for every kind of installation? Or add mod non typical of an installation? (For example I'd like SCS, SCS II e Ascension but i don't think they are in the recommended installation and on other hand i don't want mod such as Dark Side of the Sword Coast)
    @griever0483 I have not used the latest big work setup but you have two options.

Option 1. Choose the 'I want to pick and choose some mods' on the big world setup menu. The wording may be different, but you will get all the mods and all the component parts of the mod and what they do. Choose away!

Option 2. If option 1 is not available, you will need to update the bwinstall.bat file (not sure of the correct name, but IT IS a .bat file) open it up using notebook or other basic text reader. Now you will see all the possible mods that can be installed and their component parts. Again choose away. You will need to read the big world PDF. If you look at the section on the mods, and how to install them, you will see that it has numbers next to the options. These correspond to the numbers you need to put in next to the mod listed in the .bat file.

It sounds complicated, but it's not when you have a nose and a mooch at the file.

I would also take time reading the big world PDF anyway as it will give far better instructions than me!

SCS I believe is installed as recommended. I always used to put the spawn rate to maximum for more monsters...
  • LugeLuge Member Posts: 90
    @Anduin I wouldn't recommend Big World Setup to anyone who isn't experienced. The end result of the Big World is HUGE, and adds so many new NPCs and quests that it almost becomes unrecognisable.

@griever0483 I recommend BASIC setup. You don't want a whole host of extra NPCs and unless mods to start off with. I suggest reading through the manual and only adding the ones you like the sounds of.

More quests and NPCs does not equal better. You can still only have 6 party members, and I found a lot of the quests to be nowhere near the quality of the original ones. There are also a number of mods that (in my opinion) add "excessive" features to the game. For example, there is one that allows you to buy herbs to make potions; to be honest, I got fed up of having an inventory filled with herbs very quickly. Another might add 50+ new magical items... But you can still only use weapon at a time, so 49 of these new weapons will sit in your pack and do nothing. Does that make sense?

L.
    @Luge I recommended the "recommended" setup. Is the herb mod on the recommended list now? What mods would you add then?
  • LugeLuge Member Posts: 90
    @Anduin My apologies - The "recommended" setup is now the lowest level, and I conceed that this is the best to go for. There used to be a level below that. The current PDF doesn't actually show what is part of the different levels (if I remember correctly, it is only shown in the installpack itself.

I don't recommend Never Ending Journey or any of the other large questpacks like Darkest Day, Check the Bodies, Shadows Over Soubar or Dark Side of the Sword Coast, unless you want to completely say goodbye to the Baldur's Gate storyline. And even then, the Never Ending Journey isn't complete and doesn't work correctly.

L.

@Luge The never ending journey... really never ended... Dark side is not THAT bad. But does take over a bit. I really enjoyed the Secret of Bonehill saga. Brilliant!