Skip to content

Constitution drain PLEASE HELP

So, I get about most of the way thru BG1 and I notice my main character's CON is lower, so I tried Remove Curse, assorted antidote potions, etc... and the CON drain continues. I finally got my cleric to lvl 7 so she could use Lesser Restoration but this did nothing for CON drain, which is now down to 4. What's going on here? WHat can I do?

Comments

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Have you got a familiar?

Has it died recently?

Are you aware every time your familiar dies you lose 1 constitution point permanently?
  • bmonkey2013bmonkey2013 Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2013
    oh it's the familiar? that things dies a lot. But why would my cleric also have con damage? I assumed it was poison... but antidote potions did nothing, same with Lesser Restoration.
    Not sure. If your main is a wizard and your familiar has died, this is the cause.

The only ones that suffer the 1 con penalty is the main character. What NPC cleric are you using? Have you tried restoration, or greater restoration on them? I cannot think top of my head of another reason for permanent con lost.
    Playing mage? I think. Restoration or Greater Restoration seems unavailable... none of the shops/Temples in BG1 areas seem to have it (they didn't have lesser restore either).
    Cleric is Branwen
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    What is Branwen's constitution currently at?

Is she using the Claw of Kazgaroth (give -2 to CON while equipped)?

Or, did you maybe drink one of the bottles of mineral poison you find in the Nashkel mines? They look identical to antidote potions, so it's possible you drank one by mistake.
    edited January 2013
    she's not waearing the claw, CON in red, stayed stuck at 16 while mage CON was draining down. Dunno what it was before the red showed up. Twas after the Nashkel mines too.
    Thanks for info, much appreciated.
    main is a Sorcerer, not mage...
    @bmonkey2013
    Well her default CON is 15, so she must actually be getting a bonus from something. I can't think of anything that gives a +1 to CON though (well there is a magical tome which gives +1 to CON, but this is a permanent bonus, so the number wouldn't be red).
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Buckley's Buckler grants a +1 Con bonus. if she's using that, that's where it's coming from.
    Aosaw said:

Buckley's Buckler grants a +1 Con bonus. if she's using that, that's where it's coming from.

Oh yeah, totally forgot about that.
    Aye, that's right... she has the buckler... Thanks for helping!
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    @Bmonkey2013, it may help you to know that you can speak to your familiar (by clicking the dialogue button and then the familiar) and tell it to get in your pack, whereupon it just takes up 1 inventory slot. Might save you from losing more constitution.
    Yeah that would help, thanks HeroicSpur. But methinks I will just start over without considering a familiar ever again. LOL
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Alternatively, just cheat your constitution back to its original value. Restarting sucks.

Don't disregard familiars, simply keep them in your inventory where it's safe. They're a free boost to HP, which is very helpful to mages at any level.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    @bmonkey2013 I'm guessing since you summoned familiar and got it killed several times that you picked Find Familiar as one of your sorcerer lvl1 spells?
    That's a huge waste of a spell slot :<
    Cast it from a scroll!
    @bmonkey2013 Listen to @Iansounet A sorcerer wants to start with anything BUT Find familiar spell.