Skip to content

Mr. Pennyway's Cosmetic Changes

Comments

• FafnirFafnir Member Posts: 232
    Aosaw said:

But I think I like this version better.

That one is great.
    Maybe try switching the colors? Blue-trimmed white looks a bit too much like the good robe.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    In the installation directory.

For the stand-alone launcher, that directory is created in Program Files\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\; for the Beamdog client, it's the same but replace "Data" with "Games" and replace "Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition" with "Beamdog".

Add a new folder called "override" within 00766, and place the mod files inside that folder.
    Hm.

I'm choosing a different gray; the other one was too close to white. This one's more silvery.

I also changed the blue to something a little less bright-and-shiny. Neutral is about moderation, so that's what I've done here. The result is a bit closer to the original I had, but with bluish hues instead of green.
  • FafnirFafnir Member Posts: 232
    I'd call that a winner, unless you want to try and add the bronze trimmings you see in the inventory icon.
    (That probably wouldn't turn out well, the shoulderpads are too large and it'd end up looking all orange)
  • wellingtonwellington Member Posts: 5
    Okey, it's done. But the armor isn't all in one color even though I change it in Shadowkeeper. There are still some parts that are brown in the leather armors for example
    Every armor includes elements of all three "armor colors" - your Leather, your Metal, and your Armor.

Leather armor uses Leather as its primary color; Chain and Plate use Armor, but Chain also includes significant elements of Metal.

So when you change your colors in Shadowkeeper, you'll want to change all three of them to a cohesive color scheme in order to make them work.
    Thanks for your reply. However, that is just what I've done. But there's still a major part of the armor that is leather brown. For Imoen, I've changed all the colors to purple but her leather is still brownish. Hmm :(
    Two questions:

1) Did you extract the files in the zip, or did you just put the zip file in your override? The files need to be extracted.

2) Is Imoen wearing Leather Armor (Leat01), or is she wearing Studded Leather or some other kind of leather-esque suit? The changes only affect the most basic version of each armor type, in order to maintain distinguishable variations. So that's Leather Armor (Leat01), Chain Mail (Chan01), and Plate Mail (Plat01). All the rest are unchanged.
    Ah, she wears the studded leather. That's the issue :)

Will there be a change for the studded versions as well?

Thanks!
    I wasn't planning to, no. The goal with these changes is to create a version of the game that enhances the gameplay experience as a whole. Making the armors indistinguishable from one another would diminish the importance of advanced armors.

The main areas where it's important are for NPCs, whose colors have already been modified to benefit from them. You could, for example, equip Minsc, Dynaheir, Viconia, Edwin, and Imoen with basic armors (Plate for Minsc, Traveler's Robe for Dynaheir, Chain Mail for Viconia, Knave's Robe for Edwin, and Leather for Imoen) and have a party of unique-looking individuals. But I didn't want to impose those color schemes for the entire game by making the armors themselves look identical; otherwise it would be difficult to tell by looking at them what equipment they were using.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    Evil guys always get the best robes...

Why did I roll neutral one! >:O
  • SanctiferSanctifer Member Posts: 104
    Fafnir said:

This all looks great except for the Robe of the Neutral Archmagi, which has possibly the blandest color scheme I've ever seen. Pastel green and lavender grey? That's just terrible.

Might I suggest blue and silver instead?

Oh no please, I thought Neutral Archimagi were the most beautiful !
    (I don't really like Evil Archimagi tough, too black, like "fake black", it makes it look odd)
    @Sanctifier
    Take a look at the new version of the neutral robe; I think it turned out well.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    @Aosaw can you please update the first post with new version when your mod got updated..? Thanks!
    @Aosaw
    If someone (you ?) could post a screenshot that'd be great :p
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Is there a chance we could see the UI patched to allow us to utilize the extra colors the NPCs are now using?
  • PaheejPaheej Member Posts: 126
    Sanctifer said:

@Aosaw
    If someone (you ?) could post a screenshot that'd be great :p

Extensive screenshots are a must for a cosmetic mod.
    @Schneidend
    I can't comment on that, although I agree it would be nice. (If nothing else, a "reset to default" button so that if you accidentally turn Imoen yellow you could turn her back with the click of a button.)

@Sanctifier
    Here's some screen shots. The blue-on-gray looks a lot better than the green-on-grey.
    imageimage

@Anton
    I can do that, yes. Probably what I'll do is make one big zip file with the various components in folders, so that you can just install the ones you want.
    Alright, the first post is updated. I also added a screenshots section that shows all of the changes (except for the shields and helmets; there's too many of them to reasonably include here).

Enjoy!
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @Aosaw
    I appreciate the honesty. I've used Shadowkeeper to edit colors before, but with BG:EE I'd rather see quality of life improvements like previously hidden color options be implemented into the actual game if at all possible.
  • MeizMeiz Member Posts: 18
    Will these changes be included in some official updates at later date?
    @Meiz
    Again, I can't comment on that. Which component(s) are you most interested in, though?
    @Aosaw
    Huge thanks for the screenshots, I really appreciate it ^^
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @Aosaw - The mage robe coloring changes are fantastic! Thanks for this awesomeness! Does this get overridden when we update the game via patch, though?
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756

Does this get overridden when we update the game via patch, though?

@reedmilfam

No, unless you have a beta tester install.

However, there is the opposite problem, i.e. the game will keep using the files from the mod and therefore will ignore all the non cosmetic changes eventually made by the patch on the same files. To avoid that, this mod should be rewritten using WeiDU (to patch the files instead of replacing them).
    I don't think it will; the patch updates the game's internal resources, but it shouldn't affect your override folder.
  • MeizMeiz Member Posts: 18
    Modified robes, but I really like the armor screenshots as well, which make the characters look much more unique. Not going to start playing with Shadowkeeper though, but some of the future new items could really benefit for more visualization, like in your screenshots. I'm a player who'd choose unique looking armor over more powerful one, just cause of appearance :)
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @Erg, @Aosaw - thanks. I guess it makes sense - some mods change the actual files so the patcher will see 'corrupted' files and overwrite them, but overrides are merely one-for-one file swaps. Interesting...
  • ParysParys Member Posts: 205
    edited March 2013
    I like the idea of cosmetic changes. It would be great to incorporate your graphical improvements to official patch release. The small things make this game truly enhanced.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Wow, the Watchers look like evil minions with red armor :)