Skip to content

Priest lvl 3 spells

Hi guys, according to http://www.gamebanshee.com/baldursgate/spells/priestlevelthree.php, I am supposed to have animate dead, Glyph of warding, remove paralysis and remove curse. But when I leveled Jaheira to level 5 druid, I have summon insects, call lightning, cure medium wounds and hold animal instead. Are druids suppose to have different spells then clerics or is this a weird thing?

Comments

• LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Druids and priests have different spell sets.
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    edited January 2013
    Yes, druids have a different divine spell selection than clerics - and this is for all levels of the spellbook, not only lvl.3.

Some divine spells are common to both classes, others are specific to each one.
    Post edited by Ignatius on
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Luigirules and Ignatius are right. Unfortunately, Druids get a smaller spell selection than Clerics, and arguably have weaker spells across the board (apart from a few exceptions, such as Ironskin, but that doesn't come into play until BG2).
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064

Luigirules and Ignatius are right. Unfortunately, Druids get a smaller spell selection than Clerics, and arguably have weaker spells across the board (apart from a few exceptions, such as Ironskin, but that doesn't come into play until BG2).

A pure class Druid like Faldorn can hit level 10 Druid and access Ironskins and Insect Plague making Druid the most powerful class in Bg1 IMO.

Seriously, try a dual classed berserker 7/Druid 9 and enjoy the carnage (6/10 works too).
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    @The_New_Romance Iron skin does come into pay in BG1:EE as pure druids can reach lvl 10 with the current cap.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited January 2013
    Druids only have access to the spell spheres All (misc spells that don't fit another category, that all priests receive), elemental, weather, animal, plant, healing and minor divination.

Generic clerics (which are all that are in BG, without Divine Remix), have access to every spell sphere except plant, animal, weather, and only receive minor elemental access.

Or at least that's how it's supposed to work, and is generally correct.... but Druids and clerics both get a few spells here and there they shouldn't have.
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    Druids get a lot of bad press because of Jaheira. People seem to think she is a druid, but she is a multiclass. Especially with updated spell lists and call lighting druids are not that bad. And some kits are extremely overpowered, dunno if they have nerfed the totemic druid already.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    @Roller12 The totemic druid has been rebalanced for BG1:EE. I guess you could call that a nerf except they regain most of their former powers at higher levels.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I'm surprised nobody has said this:

Druids and Clerics are both considered Priests, just as Paladins, Fighters, and Rangers are all considered Warriors. Priest is a subsection of Class, not a class itself. Druids and Clerics share some basic spells, but otherwise have different spell lists.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I'm sorry. I never played a single class Druid, so I didn't know that Ironskin was accessible in BG1 already.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited January 2013
    One thing though I wish they'd implement is reversible spells, like in PnP. Cure spells are supposed to be reversible to inflict spells at the time of casting (unlike 3rd edition, in 2nd edition this is not a cleric exclusive, nor is it restricted to divine spells, there are several arcane spells that allow reversible effects as well), at the caster's option, not memorized separately. Hell, Slay living is the reversed form of raise dead (which means druids would lose it, if reversible is implemented, as it is a necromantic sphere spell, which druids aren't supposed to have.

They've already got some spells that allow further choices when selected (such as Spell Immunity for instance), and this would condense the number of spell slots needed (and would actually be PnP accurate).

So say you have cure light wounds memorized. When you select it, it changes to the bar instantly to show Cure light wounds, and Inflict light wounds, then you pick the one you want, and cast.
    Post edited by ZanathKariashi on
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    edited January 2013
    Interesting idea about reversible spells... but even more so what I would really like to see implemented are diviniation schools and more/better tailored cleric kits. Although some mods cover this fairly well.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    @wowo i'm running an avenger at the moment, lvl 7

looking forward to iron skins>SS swordspider>improved haste

it is going to kick ASS!