Skip to content

A question about Drizzt

13»

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @KidCarnival: Well, "impulsive and highly selfish" fits Edwin to a T, doesn't it? The whole misadventure with the Nether Scrolls pretty much proves that... :)
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    @shawne: Yes, it's a perfect fit. Hence why I don't see the logic in NOT having him do it. ;)
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    Frankly, I can't justify killing him as a good party. The whole "kill the random drow" argument is problematic because CHARNAME's Journal entries reflect a prior knowledge of the famed Drizzt, as the conversation choices post-helping him affirm.

Drizzt's exploits are obviously common knowledge in the game ( "I could take Drizzt with both my arms tied behind my back.") I don't know how the timeline squars up because BG's timeline is wonky anyway, but it is clear Drizzt is common knowledge.

Perhaps if one had int/wis of three.
    @KidCarnival: See, I interpret it in the opposite way - the Red Wizards have ordered Edwin to kill Dynaheir, and the smart thing to do would be to complete his mission immediately. But Edwin sees an opportunity for his own advancement, because he knows Dynaheir didn't come to the Sword Coast by chance; from his perspective, finding out what she's up to is more important than killing her (and with Minsc gone, he believes he can take her out any time he chooses).
    @shawne: I'd say both interpretations make sense and it's a matter of taste what we rather believe. Now, you have a theory why he doesn't try to kill Neera or take the sides of the other Red Wizards during her quest, after initially protesting that he had to fight his own kind and won't stay in a party if you accept her? I'd think he would take the first chance to make up for the mistake to fight his peers and switch sides when they come for Neera a second time.
    @KidCarnival: Chronologically speaking, it's more likely that the PC will recruit Neera before even meeting Edwin since you reach Beregost before Nashkel, so he doesn't factor into that first confrontation. As for the fight with Ekandor, bear in mind that by that point Edwin has sworn his services to you for a year. He's Lawful Evil, he'll keep his word even if you order him to attack his own people.

(Hell, you can even retcon that as the reason the Red Wizards are out to kill him in BG2...)
    @shawne - Yes, if you go map by map, you'll meet Neera before Edwin. But he *has* this dialogue, so it is part of his personality. If you recruit Kagain so late in the game that Yeslick doesn't have the time to decide they should fight, that doesn't make them get along either.
    And though I use the "lawful, so he won't break his word" theory myself - it is very likely he gave his word to the Red Wizards, too; long before meeting you, and they have the "older rights" to his loyalty. They are a lawful organisation, so they sure let their members take an oath or otherwise ensure their loyalty. It's word vs. word, and Edwin has more reason to stay in the good graces of his peers than a person he met a few days or weeks ago.