Skip to content

Best Player(s) around?

2»

Comments

• WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    I don't think it should be called "best player(s)", but most skilled.

Case in point - no pausing, no reloads, no cheese and able to complete the game definitely takes some amount of skill, as well as knowledge IMHO. A test of manual skills, the GUI, the rules, and of course the game itself.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Also the element of luck. Sometime, you can get fatally unlucky (failing a save when you have so much save bonus, protection spell and high MR).
  • KortokKortok Member Posts: 165
    BG isn't a skill based game like DOTA or SC. There's really not much that makes you a "good" player other than knowledge and exploits.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    @Kortok
    Strategy, optimal use of resources and good timing actions.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    There's really a limit on how far being "good" at the game can get you. Besides from having simple micromanaging skills (really easy with auto-pause in there) and game knowledge, the rest is just hoping a random number generator pushes out the right stuff.

Besides, a lot of the game's enjoyment doesn't come from the rewarding of skill, it's the role-playing aspects for some and the strategy and power-gaming for others.
  • satyrionsatyrion Member Posts: 104
    edited January 2013
    I would nominate myself as i can solo Drizzt with ANY class in the game as long as i have 161k exp. I started my RPG career in 1991...so that may explain my skills...
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I'm speechless.
  • ZeratulZeratul Member Posts: 575
    satyrion deserve the prize "best troll" on this forum :D
  • SplodSplod Member Posts: 114
    I would like to nominate my left nut as a better gamer than @satyrion.
    All in favour?
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    edited January 2013
    I can kill Drizzt with a 1 lvl char in 10 seconds!

I'm the best!!!

/topic closed
  • ZeratulZeratul Member Posts: 575
    @DarkDogg! Too bad me too! I just see the imba trap video! Power of youtube! Now we are ALL the best players around!
    but i can do it with any class and without cheese :)
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    This is almost impossible to say, because other than watching YouTube videos there'd be no way to really know. And speaking only for myself, I certainly don't have time for that. So I'm never going to really know who stands heads above other players in their tactical prowess.

My hat is off to players who play at Insane difficulty with the most difficult tactical mods installed. And if they can do that no-reload 'tis all the more impressive.

Myself, I'm looking for a kind of sweet spot with difficulty, which for me is Core Rules and SCS (with SCS tweaked according to my own personal preferences). Then it's about how creative I can be in creating fresh challenges through what I call "roleplaying concepts" or a theme to the game.

I'm a proud member of the Bob Ross School of Baldur's Gate Playing, so if someone is getting great satisfaction and enjoyment out of how they approach the game, they are in my view a "great player."

• WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    Try playing the game with a no-reload and no autostop or any stop allowed (no using the space bar). No console, no cheese. Put it on insane difficulty. Just vanilla BG:EE here.

We will see what one then says about "not needing skill" to play...you will need it. The skill to move swiftly through the icons, inventory, etc, all the while maintaining your party in battle. It is not as easy as one thinks. Some of the battles are very difficult without autopause.
    WebShaman said:

Try playing the game with a no-reload and no autostop or any stop allowed (no using the space bar). No console, no cheese. Put it on insane difficulty. Just vanilla BG:EE here.

We will see what one then says about "not needing skill" to play...you will need it. The skill to move swiftly through the icons, inventory, etc, all the while maintaining your party in battle. It is not as easy as one thinks. Some of the battles are very difficult without autopause.

makes the game harder but not that hard. Just get 2 archers, and 3 melee fighters. Screw the spells
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    @lemernis thanks for sharing that bob Ross link, I ended up watching several more of those PBS studios remixes. They were quite entertaining :). I watched a lot of those shows when I was a kid.
    edited February 2013
    @ReadingRambo I was actually moved by that video, lol. I mean it's whimsical and about the hobby of painting and all. But it just reminds me that the world could use more people like Bob Ross. What a beautiful spirit. He is missed.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    This is why there should be an arena PvP map when they finally devote resources to multiplayer. 3v3 is probably the best we could hope for.. but imagine the glory that would be 6v6.
  • KortokKortok Member Posts: 165
    edited February 2013

@Kortok
    Strategy, optimal use of resources and good timing actions.

I classify all of those under knowledge of the game. DOTA requires knowledge, reflexes and the ability to adapt at a moment's notice. I suppose we can consider knowledge a skill though.
  • rathburnrathburn Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2013
    I recall someone playing a solo Barbarian and beating the game through TOB with pretty much all the difficulty mods maxed out and on insane. It was great fun to read through his strategies and meta game knowledge. I believe it was even reposted here at some point. Anyone know where or who that was?

Edit: After a quick search I think it was "thetruth" from the ironworks forum, couldn't find the original thread. Also, it was a solo fighter with several difficulty mods at core.
    Post edited by rathburn on
    edited February 2013
    @rathburn You can search a forum specifically using Google's advanced search feature as follows:

site:www.ironworksforum.com, thetruth

And sure enough, the thread you mentioned comes up second under a search for that username: here

This, btw is the search function workaround that I use for these forums. :)

the formula is

site:____, xxxx (term)

- for these forums it's site:forum.baldursgate.com, (terms)
    - put a phrase in quotes to search for the exact words
    - use + for username and a term or phrase, so for example site:www.ironworksforum.com, thetruth+" solo barbarian" yields this.

(FYI, for all who may be interested here's a more detailed thread about this in Community Support here.)

Post edited by Lemernis on
  • rathburnrathburn Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2013
    Thanks Lemernis. I found the original thread where he describes the run. Quite a fun read as his audience is sceptical such a feat is possible, followed by gasps at his progress.

Solo fighter http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19011

Solo cleric http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21706
    Post edited by rathburn on
  • emjayemjay Member Posts: 84
    agris said:

This is why there should be an arena PvP map when they finally devote resources to multiplayer. 3v3 is probably the best we could hope for.. but imagine the glory that would be 6v6.

I guess the only way this could work is with enforced pause on round end or no pause at all (which is a bit rough on spellcasters)
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    Kortok said:

BG isn't a skill based game like DOTA or SC. There's really not much that makes you a "good" player other than knowledge and exploits.

At that level of abstraction, chess isn't a skill-based game either.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    edited February 2013
    DavidW said:

Kortok said:

At that level of abstraction, chess isn't a skill-based game either.
    Not really, because of how the AI is scripted it's quite easy to predict what a particular enemy will do and prepare accordingly if you have experience. For example liches all Timestop then depending on the lich cast either 1) Symbols Death, Fear and Stun or 2) Pf Evil, Gate, Meteor Swarm. Skill would come with the ability to react to what an enemy does without having foreknowledge of its abilities, or developing independent strategies to beat a particular encounter.