Skip to content

Shar-Teel Why u mad ? =(

Something odd just happened to me.

I killed the Umberlee Priestess for the fisherman and Shar-Teel turned hostile on me...

I never heard of this interacton before, i felt it was odd because there was no dialogue.

Is it legal or a bug ?

Comments

• CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Don't know if it's a bug or not. But if you read the journal, that priestess is only supposed to be twelve years old, so I can't imagine killing her would be a popular move among your party members. Being as Tenya's mother was murdered by men, and she was left on her own, I could imagine Shar-Teel sympathizing with her a lot.
  • VittordeVittoVittordeVitto Member Posts: 225
    Coutelier said:

Don't know if it's a bug or not. But if you read the journal, that priestess is only supposed to be twelve years old, so I can't imagine killing her would be a popular move among your party members. Being as Tenya's mother was murdered by men, and she was left on her own, I could imagine Shar-Teel sympathizing with her a lot.

Umberlee is a evil deity, any good party would aprove it.

Shw has magic itens, any evil party would aprove it too.

So, i think it's ok to just... murder her.

If Shar-Teel simpatized with her she would banter something like "if a male touch her, things will get gore here".

But she just turned hostile, she told me nothing.
    edited January 2013

Coutelier said:

Definitely not.

Maybe, although I think it would be considered beneath a lot of them, like Viconia.

Just talk instead, get the item from the fishermen and give it back to her; she can help with another quest later (you don't need her for it, but she can).

edited January 2013
    A Priestess of Shar would enjoy the killing of any other priest, why you say Vic would not enjoy this action?

Why a good npc would not enjoy murdering a priestess of umberlee ? I mean Shar is evil too and Rashaad (a Goody-Goodie) asks you to kill an entire cult.
  • ScytheKnightScytheKnight Member Posts: 220
    The Justification is strong in this one...
    edited January 2013

A Priestess of Shar would enjoy the killing of any other priest, why you say Vic would not enjoy this action?

Because it would be beneath her to kill a lone child; besides, is it worth the risk of angering a powerful goddess just to get a few trinkets from the girl?

Why a good npc would not enjoy murdering a priestess of umberlee ? I mean Shar is evil too and Rashaad (a Goody-Goodie) asks you to kill an entire cult.

Some paladins might think like that, but I think most good NPC's would have a problem with murdering a child, Umberlant or not. You should at least find out the whole story first.

The fishermen are just trying to use you to do their dirty work; you should go back and kill them.

edited January 2013
    Poor fishermam just wanted to fish, the evil pristess demanded too much tribute.

They were in despair and were used by the storm lord.

They dont deserve to die :-(

Poor fishermam just wanted to fish, the evil pristess demanded too much tribute.

They were in despair and where used by the storm lord.

They dont deserve to die :-(

I don't know how to put spoiler tags in things, but anyway...

They murdered the priestess who was demanding too much tribute; the girl, Tenya, the original priestesses daughter, just wants the item they stole back.

edited January 2013
    Yeah, but with the item she can comand the elementals again and bully people to pay tribute.

Isnt it?
    edited January 2013

Yeah, but with the item she can comand the elementals again and bully people to pay tribute.

Isnt it?

It was her mother who did that. I'm not sure Tenya even knows how to use it. But once she has it, she'll just take it back to the temple in Baldur's Gate, where you can talk to her again and maybe get her to help with a quest later on.
  • BlueSorceressBlueSorceress Member Posts: 84
    I think that you can also take a third course - convince the fishermen to return the item without killing them and give it back to the priestess. The fishermen just disperse, or go hostile and then disperse. None of them are in the right, but none of them deserve to die either.

With regard to Shar-Teel flipping out on you - I don't know what's going on. I'm curious to see what happens when I get to that part of the game with my Mostly Evil party. I'd volunteer to run a test and get back with you but I'm not nearly close enough to Chapter 5 to be able to give you an answer any time soon.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Particularly if part of your mission is redeeming those who have left the "right" path...
    Calmar said:

Such scenarios happen often in RPGs and I don't quite understand the logic behind that. Just because someone is an evil person (prepared to use violence, criminally inclined, a big jerk, a drow, follower of an evil goddess or god etc.) that doesn't make them automatically outlaws. You know, one has to actually *commit* a crime to deserve punishment, let alone an execution.
    Yes. Umberlee might be evil, but as she's the goddess of the sea she's obviously very important to the people of the Sword Coast. That's why she has a temple in the city.

And in this case, it's a twelve year old girl; helping her and hoping your kindness someday helps her find the right path seems like the most good you can do to me.
    Mathmick said:

I learned that it's OK to murder someone if they worship a deity perceived as evil.

It's a good thing people have never used this to justify anything in the real world, or wars might have been started or something.

More often in real life, wars start because people worship the same deity and believe essentially the same thing. It'll be a dispute over some really trivial detail, like what color socks the god prefers, that results in millions having to die,

• WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    Calmar said:

Such scenarios happen often in RPGs and I don't quite understand the logic behind that. Just because someone is an evil person (prepared to use violence, criminally inclined, a big jerk, a drow, follower of an evil goddess or god etc.) that doesn't make them automatically outlaws. You know, one has to actually *commit* a crime to deserve punishment, let alone an execution.

:D
    Well, D&D is a special case, because Good, Evil, Neutral, Law, and Chaos really do exist as a part of Nature. As such, if someone is an evil person in the D&D Universe, than they have commited evil deeds. You do not just "become evil" without ever doing evil. Nor is one in that sense "born evil" - though there are exceptions to this rule (see Demons and Devils, and Evil Races for details). Now, does this justify murder (the intentional killing of a being)? That is something entirely different.

There is no reason that the party knows of to kill the twelve year old girl - sure, she is admittedly a priestess of Umberlee - but we have no evidence of what evil she has done in her twelve years. That she has committed evil I believe is self-evident (as a Cleric in 2nd Edition I believe she has to be the same alignment of her worshiped goddes).

But as one does not have any evidence or knowledge of what that evil is, there is no way that a good party could justify murder here. Refusing to deal with her would be the appropriate action IMHO.

As for the Fishermen - if we go by what they say as being the truth - they indeed murdered her mother, well, that is a pretty evil act in and of itself! Of course, we do not know the exact details, but assuming it was murder, that is an evil act. Killing her (especially if she was responsible for downing deaths with that bowl of elemental summoning, for example), I think that would be justified (and not murder). But we just do not have this information.

So, refusing to help the Fishermen is pretty much what a good party would do, assuming the fishermen murdered her mother. One might be tempted to help the 12 year old avenge her mother here, assuming it was murder. I do not think a Lawful Good party would, though. Perhaps a Chaotic Good would (or Neutral Good).

edited January 2013
    We don't really know that the girl has done any evil. We can gather that she lived alone with her mother, and was raised to worship Umberlee. She seems too young to really be an ordained cleric yet. And after her mother dies she just carries on following in her footsteps.

There's plenty of chance that someone so young could still be taught the error of her ways (even though what happens in game is she goes to the temple to carry on being trained by the other priestesses). But in any case, I don't see how it can be a good act to just leave a child out on her own. I suppose at least with the Umberlants she'll be looked after, kind of.

But I think the problem with alignment is that it exists to make the game easier to play; but like a lot of gameplay elements, it doesn't make for very interesting or compelling story telling. The ease with which you can resurrect someone in game, for example; it kind of takes away a lot of the drama and jeopardy if you imagine it would really be that easy all the time. This whole episode I think just highlights that the alignment system doesn't really do justice to the massive complexity of human beings and interactions.
    Post edited by Coutelier on
    Coutelier said:

Yes. Umberlee might be evil, but as she's the goddess of the sea she's obviously very important to the people of the Sword Coast. That's why she has a temple in the city.

I think this is the most salient point. Umberlee is an evil goddess, yes, but she's not world-ending evil. Umberlee is the personification of the sea at its most turbulent and dangerous, but she isn't actively malevolent if pacified through offerings and worship, and even though her priests and priestesses are reviled by pretty much everyone, her temples and clergy are still allowed in major cities and welcomed in ports and on ship because it's important to appease her if you make your living on the sea or are planning to travel on it. Talos is no better, in fact he and Umberlee are part of the same coterie of evil deities, but both are reluctantly accepted as a unhappy fact of life in the Realms.

If you look at another evil goddess prominent in the series, Shar, there is a distinct difference in the scope of their evil. Shar's ultimate goal is nothing less than the complete obliteration of all existence, sending the universe back to the nothingness that existed before the beginning. She's the ultimate nihilist.

When I first played BG back in high school a friend and I discussed this situation at length and we still couldn't come to an agreement on the matter, which I think goes to show that even though the game contains many other less than satisfactory treatments of complex moral problems, it still has encounters and quests that can give a player pause - if he is willing to take it. For me, the situation with the fishermen and Tenya morally ambiguous enough that the only "Good" option (out of the ones the game is coded to allow) is not to participate in their squabble. A morally neutral option would be to talk the fishermen into giving back the bowl (because it will earn you the favor of Umberlee) and any scenario involving killing either the fishermen or Tenya is either pretty "Evil" or pretty metagame-y depending on the player's motives.

-Blue
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Man guys I was yawning about 1/3 of the way through this thread. All I want to know is if it's a bug or intended.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited January 2013

Lawful Evil not so much, they try to avoid trouble with the law, and murder doesn't quite do that... but Neutral and Chaotic Evil sure.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Quartz said:

Man guys I was yawning about 1/3 of the way through this thread. All I want to know is if it's a bug or intended.

^ Agreed.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Quartz said:

I had Shar-Teel in the party and she had no reaction to the priestess or killing Tenya. Is it possible she was charmed or confused when starting the attack and got stuck in the "party members randomly attacks another" bug? I had that happen with Kagain once. I'd say bug.

Quartz said:

I'm only interested in things if they're actually interesting. Something that's a very minor inconvenience in a video game just doesn't quite provide the stimulation I crave. But, if anything, the bug is that more characters don't turn hostile.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    I'll just leave this here.

No, I never killed her. Why do you ask?
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    WebShaman said:

Well, D&D is a special case, because Good, Evil, Neutral, Law, and Chaos really do exist as a part of Nature. As such, if someone is an evil person in the D&D Universe, than they have commited evil deeds.

I don't think that necesarily follows. If Good, Evil, Law and Chaos are physical attributes that can be detected and measured, using actions as a measuring stick seems somewhat pointless. Good people do bad things, bad people do good things, actions as a whole are irrelevant because you inevitably have to make a value judgement based on intent and consequences. At the end of the day, you still have to cast a few spells to figure out whether someone is evil or not, so why not forego judgement of action and accept the results as nature?

Are you Evil because you worship Umberlee, or do you worhsip Umberlee because you are evil? It would seem appropriate to say that channeling the powers of a divine being could leave a lot of residual energy, especially if we're talking Law/Chaos and Good/Evil.

• SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    @BlueSorceress - I'm pretty sure you don't have to be in chapter 5 to complete this quest. It does not require any access to the restricted area of Baldur's Gate pre-cloakwood mines

I think that you can also take a third course - convince the fishermen to return the item without killing them and give it back to the priestess. The fishermen just disperse, or go hostile and then disperse. None of them are in the right, but none of them deserve to die either.

With regard to Shar-Teel flipping out on you - I don't know what's going on. I'm curious to see what happens when I get to that part of the game with my Mostly Evil party. I'd volunteer to run a test and get back with you but I'm not nearly close enough to Chapter 5 to be able to give you an answer any time soon.

SirK8 said:

@BlueSorceress - I'm pretty sure you don't have to be in chapter 5 to complete this quest. It does not require any access to the restricted area of Baldur's Gate pre-cloakwood mines

Hot damn! I'm on it guys. Let me just pick up me CE fighter and get back to you.

-Blue
  • HerrderGezeitenHerrderGezeiten Member Posts: 139
    edited January 2013
    Make the Priestess of Umberlee a joinable Charakter! :-)

Banters near the Sea about Umberlee and her living with her mother, the story can be great,..
    Werwolf Island, Baldur`s gate Docks, the Banter with the groupe,..

BG2 Underwater City, Brynnlaw, Athkatla Docks,.. nice places for Umberlee Banter.

Ps.: What`s her ingame Stats??

----
    All hail to Umberlee !
    ----
    edited January 2013
    I have, briefly at least, made Tenya a more prominent character in fanfic, and might do again.

She seemed to go down quite well, because of her constant unbridled and unnecessary rage. Some people said she was a bit like Hit-Girl from Kick-Ass... I only watched it once and don't remember much, but it's what they say. And there's some deeper stuff about how she hated her mother, but still wanted her respect and love because it was her mother... but mainly she's just angry and swears and threatens people a lot. So cute.